Build my own PC - language issues?

I’d like to buy components and build my own PC here ( Taipei )… only issue I’m concerned about is language issues and what problem(s) I might face with hardware being ‘localised’ ?

Anyone else built their own PC here from components ?

… would be installing Linux d/l from the web.

“Localized hardware”? :saywhat:
The only “localized” hardware I can think about is the keyboard. :slight_smile:
Oh, and the DVD ROM/RW, but that’s not really a problem.
Just make sure the hardware is fully supported in Linux. However, with a modern Linux distribution you shouldn’t have any problem.
After all, the components that you can buy here are the same as anywhere in the world… everything is made in China or Taiwan.

I don’t think you will have any problems, especially with linux. You might have to look for english Windows drivers though. But you should be able to find those on the US websites.

What about setting jumpers etc for hard drives … isn’t the paperwork which comes with hard drives all in Chinese ? … what about drivers for videocards etc ( instructions all in Chinese ? )

Only reason I ask… I just bought an SMC Networks ‘Barricade G’ router which is ( currently ) showing the settings page all in Chinese… any suggestion on how - even if possible ? - to change this would be also much appreciated !

You might consider having the Hub do this for you instead. They specialize in low-priced service in English. See their frequent banner on Forumosa. Recommended.

[quote=“scott02”]What about setting jumpers etc for hard drives … isn’t the paperwork which comes with hard drives all in Chinese ? … what about drivers for videocards etc ( instructions all in Chinese ? )

Only reason I ask… I just bought an SMC Networks ‘Barricade G’ router which is ( currently ) showing the settings page all in Chinese… any suggestion on how - even if possible ? - to change this would be also much appreciated ![/quote]

For hard drives, the jumper settings are printed right on the drives, and so far I’ve always found these to be in English. However, the pamphlet that comes with motherboards that explains jumper settings (if any) will usually be in Chinese. You might be able to find a PDF file online in English. Or just ask the shop where you bought the motherboard.

As for the router - anything you buy locally will probably have Chinese firmware, as you’ve discovered. A friend of mine had this problem and was able to solve it by downloading a firmware update from the manufacturer’s web site.

Building your own machine isn’t too hard, but it helps to have an experienced person sitting next to you just in case you run into problems.

cheers,
DB

So is here in taipei any english language computer repair shop

Don’t worry at all: Just buy the major components from international companies (that means components you also get in the US or your home country - just check one of the plenty online shops) and you don’t have any problems with drivers in your language. Don’t buy the very very latest (it might be only in Taiwan on the market yet) and companies you don’t know. This is a good idea for linux systems anyway.

I built already four PCs, two in mainland and two in Taiwan, no big problems:

• mainboards: buy common models from Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc. drivers, manuals, etc, you can download from internet
  • graphic adapter: only the chip matters, the board company doesn’t matter
  • harddisk: no driver needed. buy the big companies like Samsung, Maxtor, Seagate, Western and you find all jumper description in the internet
  • other components same advice. Most stuff in Taiwan is made for export anyway, so a lot has english manuals already included.

The only problem I ever had was a soundblaster card from creative (funny enough a Singapore company), which was kinda built for the mainland chinese market and I even with manufacturer support couldn’t make it work. But the built-in sound always works after downloading the english driver.

Any specific question, ask. Have fun!