Build your own air conditioner for $ 25

I found this link and I though some of you would like to joing me in building my own air conditioner.

mirror.lerfjhax.com/www.eng.uwat … ilburn/ac/

[quote=“Rinkals”]I found this link and I though some of you would like to joing me in building my own air conditioner.

mirror.lerfjhax.com/www.eng.uwat … ilburn/ac/[/quote]

RFLMAO… Okay now, um seriously. That’s just plain hilarious, but also simultaneously quite ingeneous…

Rinkals, if you build it, let us know how it works.

I think it will work. My only concern is the cost of cooling the water and the water bill itself. I’ve been challenging many things that capitalists would like the man in the street to accept as unachievable or ridiculous.

I would like to other posters to make their own plastics too. All you need is 300ml of milk and a tea spoon of vinegar. Google it up and see how easy it is to mold your own plastic objects. Just think, things that you wished existed, are totally possible .

Another thing I’m interested in is making my own foundry for melting aluminium. However, I would recommend that to anybody since it could be very dangerous.

My only problem with that plan, at least with using it here, is dumping the water out the window. That’s going to be a lot of water, and unless you’re on the ground floor that’s going to piss off a lot of neighbors.

Hey Testsuo, welcome back you naughty boy! A Tetsuo Award for you:

I don’t really see that it’s necessary to dump it out the window. You could raise the tub of ice water by putting it on a table. Then have the water siphon out into a tub on your balcony. As long as the water ends up lower in the second tub, you can keep the water flowing. Then, after the water cools down overnight, bring it back inside and thus you can recycle the water.

Another advantage of my plan is that the water bill will be less, though the initial cost of the “air cooler” will have to be raised to cover the additional tub for catching the water.

Once I heard that you could build an air conditioner by placing a box of wet grass in front of a fan. I suppose one could try it with a wet towel. I suppose the water has to be ice cold. Unfortunately I can’t try it out. I’ve locked myself out. I’ll be in the internet cafe the whole night.

God I love Canadians sometimes.

What a genius. I hear he’s working on a design for a heater too…

Canada is using ice cold lake water for cooling.

Cost: $0 (assuming you already have a fan).

Intructions:
[ul][li]Take a cold shower[/li]
[li]Don’t dry off[/li]
[li]Walk naked (or with baoxers and sandals) to room with fan[/li]
[li]Set fan to desired setting (High = High Cool, Medium = Meduim Cool, etc.)[/li]
[li]Lay down in front of fan[/li]
[li]Be fucking cold[/li]
[li]Repeat as necessary[/li][/ul]

Guess it’d be hard to use with a room full of guests though.

[quote=“miltownkid”]Cost: $0 (assuming you already have a fan).

Intructions:
[ul][li]Take a cold shower[/li]
[li]Don’t dry off[/li]
[li]Walk naked (or with baoxers and sandals) to room with fan[/li]
[li]Set fan to desired setting (High = High Cool, Medium = Meduim Cool, etc.)[/li]
[li]Law down in front of fan[/li]
[li]Be f***ing cold[/li]
[li]Repeat as necessary[/li][/ul]

Guess it’d be hard to use with a room full of guests though.[/quote]

Just imagine wearing wet clothes and riding your scooter at 100km/hour for about an hour.

Or naked after dipping in the above mentioned ice bucket (the one in the link).

this device reminds me of this:

The Jet powered beer cooler.

asciimation.co.nz/beer/

I do believe a combination project would be possible here to give one device that is an aircon unit and a beer cooler.

I think the noise might drown out the tv though. :s

That would be an evaporative cooler, aka “swamp cooler”. It requires energy to change water into a gas, so as the air blows on the water the water evaporates and sucks heat from the air. The water does not need to be ice cold in that situation.

It’s a good kind of cooler in a dry place, but when the humidity is high, there’s not much evaporation to be had. Also, there are more problems with mildew when you increase the humidity. Taiwan is not a good location for evaporative cooling. It works best in a desert.

Despite the humidity, swamp coolers are very common here in Taiwan. You often see them on the roofs of buildings here.

In a little roadside restaurant in Vietnam I saw a window style air conditioner hooked up to a large water tank, such as you might have in a house to store water (an immersion heater tank). The tank had a tap on the bottom and contained cold beer. I have pictures but no way to post them sadly. I presume they’re common enough in Vietnam, but I only ever saw one.