Building Plumbing Code

I’m back again with some annoyances about my apartment’s plumbing.
Can someone tell me if there are any codes in Taiwan about plumbing?

Our kitchen sink flooded the cabinet below and further inspection had us noticing that a hose was taped to the sink, rather than actual plumbing. I didn’t think too much of it, but my employer (who rents the room) called a…“plumber(?)” …if you could call him that. He came, taped it right back up, told us not to pour large amounts of water down the sink, and left. I can’t speak Chinese, he couldn’t speak English…it was a no go on communication. I just wanted to tell him to actually FIX it. My employer called and asked if it was fixed. I told her he just taped it up, is there any way to get some pipes? No response…
Things have been like this. A little shoddy, patched over …our internet is I’m guessing about 10 years old. It just seems like things arent truly fixed.

So I looked up some stuff about plumbing and in another forum from the US explained that not having an piping traps is against code regulation…as this can cause sewer gas. We have noticed weird smells as well…it’s just like…of course! Of course.
So what are the codes? Is my employer being a cheapo? (Yes). But is this illegal and possibly health hazardous???

Welcome to Taiwan.
Never heard about a plumbing code.

3 Likes

Plumbing code: cha bu duo

5 Likes

Piping traps only on request.

yes, being a cheapo, not illegal, not seriously a health hazard, it’s not like sewage is sipping into your house.
if it floods and damages the place, not your fault.
if you want to fix it yourself, won’t be more than a few hundred nt.

If the flexi part is long enough twist it into an “U” or “S” shape so it becomes a water trap which stops any sewer gas coming up or go to any local plumbing shop and ask for a “P” trap of the right diameter - very easy to fit yourself.

1 Like

Here is mine …

2 Likes

We just bought a new condo. In the walk through I asked about this same thing. I said why is it cheap plastic, where’s the metal pipes… They said oh in Taiwan is all like this. Ours isn’t leaking yet.

2 Likes

Must be the weather for it! Ours fell off during the week and flooded the cabinet. Taped it back myself. New kitchen about 16 months old.

it is in chinese, and I haven’t read it and don’t know if there are penalties.

https://www.cpami.gov.tw/最新消息/法規公告/30-建築管理篇/17152-建築物給水排水設備設計技術規範.html

建築物給水排水設備設計技術規範

1 Like

Don’t expect residential building/plumbing codes to be followed. The only code they really enforce is earthquake resistance because that causes a large number of deaths. Besides a water leak in Taiwan is an annoyance, it won’t lead to structural damage like in the US because these building materials are basically waterproof.

However what you should do is get one of those hose clamps and use it to clamp the sink thing… that will keep it from slipping off. As for U traps, just bend it into a U shape.

1 Like

Hahaaha cheapo, illegal, health hazardous :joy::joy: it’s called cha bu duo

Best way to solve problem is to go visit nearby plumbing supply store and do it yourself. I think that’s easier than finding a plumber who will do it properly. If you look hard you can find someone but they will charge you 10 times more than it’s worth.

This meets electrical code in Taiwan, I think…

It was replaced with a housing when I passed by, but still…

How much did you pay for the place?

Just over 8million. It’s small but 3bdr, 2balcony, 2bath

Interesting. How old is the building? Is it in Taipei? If so, what area? Recently I’ve been thinking about maybe buying something, but so many places are too expensive. Considering the low rents, it’s not really worth it. But, long term wise it could be worthwhile.

The title of this thread is an oxymoron, surely.

1 Like

Ah Taipei. Nah, I’m in taichung. It’s a brand new building actually in the city. We still have reasonable prices down here

1 Like

That’s great.

1 Like

If the epidemic continues to spread, home prices will drop. They took a plunge during the SARS epidemic.