Bump out or indented

Does the hexagon in the middle look bumped out or indented?

• Bumping out and my first language is traditionally written from left to right
  • Bumping out and my first language is traditionally written from right to left
  • Indented and my first language is traditionally written from left to right
  • Indented and my first language is traditionally written from right to left
0 voters

I chose ā€œindentedā€, but by that I mean with respect to the outer six hexagons. I really see it as just the background plane, i.e., there are six hexagons around the outside and nothing in the middle.

3 Likes

I saw this guy who claims that how you see the center as a bump of indentation reflects how your brain was wired when you first learned how to write, I just wanted to see if that is true. I meanā€¦ it seems like it might be a thing.

Here is my spanner :wrench:

I sort of strobe between the two, but Iā€™m dyslexic ( I hate trying to spell that word). I have a slight visual distortion, but Iā€™m hyper sensitive to colours.

I donā€™t expect that choice to be there :wink:

1 Like

I can strobe between the two looking at the concave example at the bottom right.

3 Likes

You mean it depends on whether you consider the light source to be on the left or right?

I can see it now as the other version (with the middle bumping out and the outer hexagons indented) if I think about the light source being on the right, but itā€™s difficult to maintain.

The two hexagons at the bottom are a bit confusing too, because for those the light source is on the right. It doesnā€™t help that theyā€™re in a different orientation to the main hexagons either.

I was a bit confused with them as they are both concave and convex, I thought that was going to be the real test to see if it was the word association that tricked you to seeing it as per the word

Donā€™t the red lines force you to see those two hexagons in the way written? They do for me.

1 Like

No as the red lines can go in or out too they just follow what ever shape, I just opened it on my phone so I could turn it upside down, they still change but then it gets freaky when I rotate it back and forth.

Edit:
The best way I can describe it is as a button sticking out of the floor and one sticking out of the ceiling. Then becoming a hole in the floor and a hole in the ceiling, if that makes any sense to you.

What I mean is that the positive gradient, straight bit, then negative gradient in the 2D depiction of the ā€œconvexā€ shape seems to force the central region to be perceived as sticking out of the plane (i.e., closer to the viewer) when interpreted as a 3D object, and vice versa for the ā€œconcaveā€ shape. I think perceiving the central region of the ā€œconvexā€ shape as going into the plane would cause a discrepancy between how the line is interpreted and how the hexagon is interpreted (i.e., theyā€™d have to be interpreted as being viewed from different angles to make sense). At least to meā€¦

If you start to refer to me as Subject A you sound just like the bloke who did research on my visual perception :wink:

1 Like

I can see either way, so I donā€™t know how to reply to your poll.

2 Likes

Shouldā€™ve had an ā€˜I SEE EVERYTHINGā€™ option

1 Like

The examples donā€™t help me at all as they look like they are both bumping out but either leaning towards or away from me.

If I look at the picture normally, itā€™s indented, but if i turn my phone the other way, it bumps out

2 Likes

I would assume the lighting thatā€™s present in the room has some effect at a subconscious level as well. :man_shrugging:

I briefly thought Iā€™d be able to do that with these, but I canā€™t seem to do itā€“at least not right now.

1 Like

I can switch between them but with minor difficulty.

2 Likes