Bumping Into Previous Things

Unexpectedly encountered a sweet nice friend that I’ve known a long time but haven’t talked to in a few years.

It was great. Happy, hugging, comfortable, chatting, great feeling.

“Single now?”, “Yes, me to”.

And then

• She asked “Do you still lived in the same place?”
  • “Which one?”
  • “The one I stayed over at a few times”
  • Me, internal conversation “my place, what huh”
  • Me, external, “My place?” with dumb look.
  • Her, “You don’t remember! Haha”
  • Me, “Yes, of course I remember, I was just joking”.

I somehow had forgot about the benefits part of the friends with benefits…

Still friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always think of a Haruki Murakami story about running into an old flame years later when I think of old thangs. In the story she’s crazy and screams at him through the passenger side window of his car. Then she throws herself off a bridge I think.

So anyway, yeah, good for you.

4 Likes

How good is her English? Or how good is your Mandarin? I think she figured out that you don’t remember. Also, your internal and external conversations basically match! Ha, ha.

For the good times (that only she remembers- you dog!):

1 Like

Sounds like a real life version of the novel Brief Einer Unbekannten in which this guy gets a letter from a stranger woman - with whom he has actually had a succession of affairs with but does not remember her each time. Its been translated and made into movies etc. Really interesting premise but seems kinda depressing so I’m sticking with star wars :sweat_smile:.

6 Likes

Wow.

Well I know my next book to read. Thanks for that!

4 Likes

I’ve read every one of his books that have been translated to English.

Trying to remember which story has this arc.

It is the friends part that you need to pay attention to if you start cashing in on the benefits once more.

Twice in the past fortnight the mother of my lovely boy has enjoyed the pleasure of my company. Pheromones are intoxicating. Eyes have met over shared nostalgia. My penis is untrustworthy. The lone wolf howls. Run!

Advice: Fornicate. Don’t exchange keys.

1 Like

Zweig is stellar. Schachnovelle, Amok, Brief einer Unbekannten, etc. All pretty good reads. Man was definitely heavily influenced by the Belle Epoche psychoanalysis of his times though, fair warning, but nonetheless one of many great authors to come out of the late Austro-Hungarian empire. The German isn’t too hard either, especially in Schachnovelle, and I seem to recall you’re learning.

He had his hand at some creative nonfiction in Die Welt von Gestern too. Worth noting he was Jewish, fled Austria for obvious reasons, and ended up committing suicide with his wife down in South America. So you’re certainly getting a somewhat optimistic and nostalgic presentation of events, but I think there’s still something to take from it in terms of Zeitgeist.

The movie based on this movel is fab.

Guy has a jazz bar, swims a lot, is well dressed and sadz all the time. Sputnik, Sweetheart maybe?

Even if you got laid all the time, how do you forget you slept with a friend?

When he’s up there with Wilt Chamberlain numbers, he does

Yeah I can see how that could happen… wait … no not really.

Edit: I guess it would have been worse the other way around (remember sleeping with someone if you hadn’t)

1 Like

god that title really loses all of it’s romance in english don’t it

Forget reading the book. You sir are writing it! :salute:

Guy

5 Likes