Bus Pay on Boarding /Pay on Alighting

I still have not figured out the purpose behind these different requirements. And if I need to do both if it changes mid-ride. Yo.

I think bus routes have 2 or more fare segments where if you go past a certain point, you have to pay twice. It’s listed in the route map, usually indicated by a triangle. There’s a buffer zone between 2 triangles where if you got on in the buffer zone it would only count as one fare if you go to the end of the line, but if it’s before you pay twice. I think they use that pay on boarding/alighting as a way to tell people if they should pay twice if they passed the fare segment…

That’s pretty much everything in a nutshell. Makes sense to me.

Yup. If you get on (board) in the buffer zone, the driver should hand you a sort of ticket that you hand back when you alight, so you don’t have to pay again.
Things get awkward when you board and it says 下, but stay on the bus so long that you alight after it changes to 上. The bus driver basically has the system backwards when that happens, I guess. Used to happen on a route I commuted on, so when I got off, I’d just tell the bus driver I had to pay twice. Honesty is the best policy!

[quote=“Britt”]Yup. If you get on (board) in the buffer zone, the driver should hand you a sort of ticket that you hand back when you alight, so you don’t have to pay again.
Things get awkward when you board and it says 下, but stay on the bus so long that you alight after it changes to 上. The bus driver basically has the system backwards when that happens, I guess. Used to happen on a route I commuted on, so when I got off, I’d just tell the bus driver I had to pay twice. Honesty is the best policy![/quote]

Some drivers do not give you the ticket when you’re in the buffer zone. Which kind of pisses me off. It’s mostly the less popular bus lines where the drivers are not as courteous.

just make not of the buffer zone and if the driver demand you to pay a second time tell him you got on in the buffer zone.

Use an easy card and swipe on and off all the time, system will only deduct when it should this saving the brain power of trying to figure it out.

Yea, this is what I have been doing, was never sure why.

be careful with this, the system doesn’t always catch this because sometimes people pay for others, so you could be paying twice when you only needed to pay once.

Not sure if that has been mentioned in this thread, if a bus goes across the city border, like the one from Banqiao to Keelung and a lot of other longer distance buses around the island, the ticket fare is calculated according to distance, and you HAVE to swipe the card upon boarding and getting off even if you only travel to the next stop. If you fail to swipe the card when getting off, the card will be locked for that particular bus service. I take the Banqiao-Keelung bus quite a lot and often see locals getting on only to find out that their card has been locked, cause they didn’t swipe it the last time when getting off.

It’s confusing as hell, why can’t they just adopt that system for all buses?

I just want to say bringing up old posts like this might not be a good thing and could be causing me/others to have a negative perception of my/their own ignorance a few years ago.

1 Like

It’s only being bumped because the tag has changed. Mods can reset the bump date, but you already posted, making this topic relevant again.

However. I wouldn’t worry too much. We learn and grow. You can @ all moderators in a pm to help reset the dates.

and invite them into the PM.

I thought this thread is interesting, because newly coming people will not know the old system.