Bus Rapid Transit: Taichung's next step toward a low-carbon city

Bus Rapid Transit: Taichung’s next step toward a low-carbon city

Words and photos by Taichung City Government
Translated by Angel Pu

An initial sketch of the BRT network plan.

As construction of Taichung city’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) network begins, the city government has introduced the innovative new idea of making all of its future MRT lines–except the under-construction Green Line–into a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. Current plans call for the first Zhonggang Road section of MRT’s Blue Line to become the first BRT trial-operation line. The MRT Orange Line (Zhongqing Road) may also be included in this trial. If everything goes well, construction of this system could be launched in the middle of next year and finished within two years, making it Taiwan’s first BRT system.

Low-carbon, high-performance intelligent transportation
The Bus Rapid Transit concept was pioneered in Curitiba in Brazil and represents a new high-capacity form of rapid transportation. Using modern bus technology (like high-capacity, low-floor designs and developed guideway transit systems) and other intelligent transit systems, BRT lanes will be set up along existing city roads. To achieve a level of mass transportation that is close to that of a traditional MRT system, authorities have also decided to adopt a MRT-style operation pattern, basically meaning that buses resemble a MRT.

According to the city’s Transportation Bureau, BRT uses improved buses in exclusive lanes. With the flexibility of normal buses and the passenger-loading speed of a MRT, it moves quickly thanks to exclusive traffic signals. Among other many advantages, construction and operational costs are low, construction periods are short, and performance is high.

Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung
By contrast to Taipei city’s exclusive express bus lanes, Taichung’s BRT will use articulated buses. Many developed countries (such as the United States, Canada, Netherlands, France, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand) use BRT, each with its own unique features that have made all of these systems urban tourist attractions. According to Transportation Bureau Director General Lin Liang-tai, Taichung’s future articulated buses will be very creative, too, with body designs incorporating Taichung city urban images. There will also be a variety of bus station designs. These attractive articulated buses will no longer just serve as convenient forms of mass transportation, but will also become one of Taichung’s most unique attractions.

According to current laws, articulated buses cannot be used on Taiwan’s streets. Therefore, Taichung’s Transportation Bureau is actively proposing that the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) amend laws before December so that Taiwan can make use of these vehicles. The ministry already held a meeting in March to discuss amendments to related regulations and authorized the Vehicle Safety Certification Center to carry out research and draw up a proposal. The amendment process is on-going and thus far the MOTC has expressed optimism about Taichung’s proposed BRT, and hopes that the city can become a BRT model for Taiwan.

Quick construction enhances convenience
The Transportation Bureau estimates that the budget for building a single medium-high capacity underground MRT line can be used to develop five medium-high capacity overhead MRT lines. In turn, this means that the cost for building one medium-high capacity underground MRT line can instead be used to develop 25 BRT lines. In addition, BRT doesn’t take as much time to build, needing only two or three years to create a network of over 50 kilometers. Clearly, passengers cannot transfer to their destinations with only a single MRT line, and a good MRT system needs a full network to attract passengers. A super-sized, post city-county merger Taichung needs a rapid transit network that can be built quickly in order to meet the needs of all city areas.

Director General Lin noted that Taichung needed a network that connected New City Hall, Yang Ming Building, Taichung Port, Taichung Ching Chuan Kang Airport, Taichung High-Speed Rail Station, the High-Speed Rail Redevelopment Zone, Taichung Gateway Park, Central Taiwan Science Park, and Taichung Port Redevelopment Zone. The total length of such a network will be about 60 kilometers and, using BRT lines, the total budget will fall under NT$9 billion.

As noted above, the city government has selected TaiZhongGang (Taichung Port) Road for a trial BRT line. This Blue Line will connect the city railway station to Tunghai University with a full length of 11.5 kilometers and construction budget of NT$1.45 billion. Because the BRT on Taichung Port Road needs its own lane, the Transportation Bureau plans to either reduce the width of original traffic lanes or delete roadside parking spaces. At the same time, the goal is to minimize any negative impact on car lanes and traffic along the road. If the Orange Line, connecting Daya and Wufeng districts (via ZhongQing, Daya and Guoguang roads) is constructed at the same time as the Blue Line, Taichung city will have use of three lines, giving its mass rapid transit system a huge boost.

source
http://www.taiwanfun.com/central/taichung/articles/1105/1105TCTM1.htm

Taichung BRT page (Only Chinese)
http://www.brttaichung.com.tw/index.aspx

Every blue line BRT public hearing information , you can download and watch all , but it’s only chinese version , blue line public hearing will keep going to Dec 2012 , one month one public hearing , Jan 2013 start to build blue line BRT.
http://www.brttaichung.com.tw/html/news/02.aspx?root=1&kind=1&page=1&num=85

Taichung Six Line BRT And Red Line And MRT Green Line Road Map(Onlny Chinese)
http://ppt.cc/ZK-y

BRT Blue Line Station Design
http://ppt.cc/eD0w

我愛台中 BRT FB (I love Taichung BRT FB) , if you have any suggest about Taichung BRT, you can leave your message to them . they will see it and maybe reply to you.
https://www.facebook.com/52brt

Wow sounds exciting. I do wonder if it would be ideal to somehow get all the scooters out of the way first. Or all the cars. Then there is all the illegally parked cars and scooters. Without proper traffic law enforcement, there really isn’t enough room! Not to mention road quality. I assume those articulated busses work best on smooth roads. Things are currently patchy at best. Even the main port road is full of pot holes. While scooters, cars and busses all share the outside turning lane. Don’t get me wrong, I support traffic reform and especially improved public transport but it would be absurd the way things are now.

Yes, I think this is a giant white elephant, or a the Dunhua bike lane on a massive scale. I watched the video on the government channel. Yes, how to keep cars and scooters and taxis out of the lane will be a major issue. Reminds me of the trolley in Dalian. Because no one respects the trolley lines it’s actually about the slowest way to travel.

I’m also curious about what was Taichung’s first step toward a low carbon future? No offense to the OP, but I really hate this kind of feel-good environmental platitudes in the Taiwan context. There are so many very basic steps that could be taken to make this place better, steps that even many Chinese cities have taken, that getting all excited about one poorly thought out innovation just makes me roll my eyes.

Bus Rapid Transit is only feasible if there are very wide streets to begin with (not to mention the required traffic policing). The voters in Alameda County not long ago rejected a BRT proposal because it would have turned an already traffic-snarled 2-lane-per-side thoroughfare into an even more snarled mess.

From the video it looks like a somewhat upgraded version of Taipei’s bus lanes, not quite BRT.

Yeah. I think this is just a way for Taichung to secure some central government transport funding. Last year the transport ministry said they would not approve more MRTs until towns and cities improved their bus routes. So voila, Taichung can apply for a whopping expensive new bus system, and probably convince the transport ministry to also approve MRT funding before the boondoggle with the BRT begins.

It’s feasible to implement such a system in Taichung due to the wider and straighter roads. Basically they are talking about express bus lanes. It makes sense as waiting for an MRT to be built would take forever.

Wider and straighter than what? Taichung’s roads are crowded with the above mentioned illegal traffic effluence.
The port road is wide and straight and congested as hell. It’s a joke.

[quote=“trubadour”]Wider and straighter than what? Taichung’s roads are crowded with the above mentioned illegal traffic effluence.
The port road is wide and straight and congested as hell. It’s a joke.[/quote]

yes , it’s really fucking congested , and not port road anymore,the name is Taiwan Big road , but i still love Taichung!! Taichung is Best!

[quote=“syiu33”][quote=“trubadour”]Wider and straighter than what? Taichung’s roads are crowded with the above mentioned illegal traffic effluence.
The port road is wide and straight and congested as hell. It’s a joke.[/quote]

yeah , it’s really fucking congested , and not port road anymore,the name is Taiwan Big road , but i still love Taichung!! Taichung is Best![/quote]

I wish Taipei and Taichung could be merged into one giant MEGATROPOLIS with a sunshine corridor being built to channel some good weather our way.

They really need to do something about the illegal parking in Taichung. It’s not so bad in certain parts of Taipei (emphasis on certain parts) but in Taichung its so common nobody would even think its illegal to park there!

I don’t know if the will to improve things are there but it could be cultural issues too… people here mostly grew up in a rural environment only to have heavy urbanization in the last 20 years, so you basically got a bunch of farmers who now lives in big cities who basically acts as though they’re still living in the country.

This will be a positive development for Taichung and a model for other cities in Taiwan. But do we really need this kind of hyperbole?

[quote]
Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung
These attractive articulated buses will no longer just serve as convenient forms of mass transportation, but will also become one of Taichung’s most unique attractions.[/quote]

You really think your buses will attract tourists to your city? What kind of tourist visits a place to see the buses? You might get a few sickos and bus fanatics, I’m sure.

Anyway, best of luck with your new articulated buses and exclusive bus lanes. They are good for local commuters and visitors, but I doubt they will serve as a tourist attraction.

It depends on how the vision is implemented. Unique looking buses could actually serve as something to attract visitors. Whether that happens or not is a different story. Taichung gang lu could be easily rearranged to introduce dedicated bus lanes. The other streets less so but it can be done. Wenxin road is getting an ovehead MRT line anyway. For it to be a success there has to be an integrated approach, something that Taiwan is very bad at doing i.e. reduce number of scooters and don’t share scooters with bus lanes, discourage car drivers, enforce traffic regulations, proper training of bus drivers, integrated ticketing, ensure the best vehicles and route is chosen instead of being a result of guanxi.
Taichung city is not well run at the moment so forgive people here it they are skeptical.

The low carbon city is absolutely rubbish though. Taichung has the biggest coal powered electricity generating plant in the whole world!

[quote]Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung
These attractive articulated buses will no longer just serve as convenient forms of mass transportation, but will also become one of Taichung’s most unique attractions.[/quote]

:roflmao: They are buses, on an express lane! Who wants to see that? :loco:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote]Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung

:roflmao: They are buses, on an express lane! Who wants to see that? :loco:[/quote]

you are right! man , myabe will all ghost to take Taichung BRT , because nobody interest about that :roflmao: seriously , article is Taichung government writer , God! dammit!they are all idiot…

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It depends on how the vision is implemented. Unique looking buses could actually serve as something to attract visitors. Whether that happens or not is a different story. Taichung gang lu could be easily rearranged to introduce dedicated bus lanes. The other streets less so but it can be done. Wenxin road is getting an ovehead MRT line anyway. For it to be a success there has to be an integrated approach, something that Taiwan is very bad at doing i.e. reduce number of scooters and don’t share scooters with bus lanes, discourage car drivers, enforce traffic regulations, proper training of bus drivers, integrated ticketing, ensure the best vehicles and route is chosen instead of being a result of guanxi.
Taichung city is not well run at the moment so forgive people here it they are skeptical.
The low carbon city is absolutely rubbish though. Taichung has the biggest coal powered electricity generating plant in the whole world![/quote]

ha ha it’s ok , my English is not pretty good , so i can’t reply and to answer everybody skepical immediately.
yeah , i know that , it’s so rubbish :roflmao: the article title is news title and is Taichung Government to writer and post , i think this is why they are Government , i’m the Taichung people.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote]Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung

:roflmao: They are buses, on an express lane! Who wants to see that? :loco:[/quote]

It didn’t say most popular or visited attraction, merely one of the most unique. Which I concede it may well be in that attraction-desert of a town. :laughing:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote]Taiwan’s first-ever BRT to promote Taichung

It didn’t say most popular or visited attraction, merely one of the most unique. Which I concede it may well be in that attraction-desert of a town. :laughing:[/quote]

They already did that (bus express lanes) in Taipei … except from the articulated buses.
Many Taiwanese politicians act like they can reinvent the wheel, over and over.

Usually because they’re blissfully unaware that someone else already did.