Business class perks?

Aside from obvious ones like more space, better food and extra bonus miles, what are some other perks for flying business class?

As much as I’ve traveled, I’ve never flown this class! I’m booked for a long haul to Detroit in business class next month mainly because I’m taking one of my cats on board and the other is being sent as luggage. I reckon they’ll take care of the “luggage cat” better, and business class will be quieter and more spacious for kitty under the seat. I’m flying Northwest, by the way.

:notworthy:

[quote=“Alien”]I’m flying Northwest, by the way.[/quote]That’s a silly way to go, Detroit is east of here.

[quote=“Alien”]Aside from obvious ones like more space, better food and extra bonus miles, what are some other perks for flying business class?

[/quote]

That about sums it up. There are no other benefits that I noticed (I got accidentally booked on business class once and had to fork over an extra hundred bucks for their mistake… :fume: ) IMAO it’s not worth the extra dosh just to get an extra side of mashed potatoes on your cafeteria plate.

(I think it has more to do with perceived class status, i.e. “face”, than actual benefits - separate the highflyers from the peons).

The lounges are nice, except the one in Tokyo. It is the pits because it is always so crowded, the free beer and Oreos barely make up for it, but maybe they’ve expanded it since Narita had its facelift. But Narita is nice to see all of the latest electronics at the Duty Free Store as well as the free Internet. I think they got rid of their First Class on NWA, so you are actually flying a First/Business hybrid. Be sure to give the economy class passengers dirty looks when they walk through.

Alien,

I would be more concerned about how you are going to decide which kitty goes business class and which kitty goes luggage class. :smiley:

I’ve only flown international business class a couple of twice (and domestic once, but there the difference really IS negligible).

Don’t underestimate the value of the extra space - it is fantastic, especially long-haul. You usually get priority check-in at a dedicated counter, which is nice, and the lounges can be great to nothing special, and usually a higher baggage allowance plus probably better AV facilities than economy, if you ever make use of them. Marginally bigger washrooms, with extra frills. Really, the best part (apart from the SPACE :slight_smile: ) is that they pick the flight attendants who fawn over you rather than the ‘what the hell do you want now?’ ones they reserve for economy. (I’m just kidding - I’m sure passenger ratios have a lot to do with it as well, but it is a noticeable difference.)

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Alien,

I would be more concerned about how you are going to decide which kitty goes business class and which kitty goes luggage class. :smiley:[/quote]

The fat one goes luggage. Not hauling that bitch around on my shoulder. It’s her own damn fault for being such a piggy cat! :slight_smile:

Oh, as for food, I always, always, always, always, order Indian vegetarian on every flight. It’s always superior, too. Especially when flying out of or connecting in HK or Singapore.

Thing is: A round trip on economy costs $28k. Open return is for six months ONLY. I won’t be coming back here til after CNY to do some work so I’ll lose half of it anyway. A one-way on business class is 30k. Chabuduo…

Also, like daasgirl says, they’ll fawn over me and my poor frightened business kitty, and there shouldn’t be loads of asswipes wandering back and forth. And the seats all fully recline. PLUS, I have two other flights. One to Osaka and one from Detroit to my destination.

I’ll be in a snit with the cat the entire way if I’m shuffled along with the masses. I’d like to deplane in peace, thank you.

Never traveled with pets before either. This is a new experience entirely.

Question: Is luggage allowance more on business class? As it is I’ll be spending an extra $10k on the two cats and a bike in a box.

I had to pay extra to bring my dog, but you do get an extra carry on in Business Class. Beware of people wanting to stop for a peek at your animal.

I doubt you’ll be able to breeze through the airport with your animal–when I was changing flights in SFO with my dog, people kept wanting to see the dog, pet the dog, etc. I am sure people with animals are an airport thief’s dream.

Add twice as much water as you think you would need for the one going in cargo (get those rabbit water feeders), line the cage with diapers or at least newspapers, and don’t give the pet any tranquilizers (keep them for yourself–wink, wink) . Duct tape or tie the cage together if its one of those two-piece jobs–don’t rely just on its assembly.

Alien, as a general rule the extra baggage allowance is 10kg. It is the larger space area and bigger seat that i find the biggest benefit in business class, plus better choice of films and that sort of thing, however have never flown Northwest, so can only comment in general.

The main reason why many business people fly that class rather than economy, is the ability to alter the itinerary much more easily and often for no cost than economy tickets, as well as they can be left open for longer periods, generally up to a year.

Alien, as a suggestion, look at the cost of a business return ticket, get the benefit both ways, only downside is cash outlay now rather than early next year. If one way is 30K then return is likely to be about 45 - 50k.

Mashed potatoes?!?!? With gravy??? Which airline???

:laughing:

[quote=“Traveller”]Alien, as a general rule the extra baggage allowance is 10kg. It is the larger space area and bigger seat that I find the biggest benefit in business class, plus better choice of films and that sort of thing, however have never flown Northwest, so can only comment in general.

The main reason why many business people fly that class rather than economy, is the ability to alter the itinerary much more easily and often for no cost than economy tickets, as well as they can be left open for longer periods, generally up to a year.

Alien, as a suggestion, look at the cost of a business return ticket, get the benefit both ways, only downside is cash outlay now rather than early next year. If one way is 30K then return is likely to be about 45 - 50k.[/quote]
Thanks.
I looked into return. It’s 60k. So I don’t think I’ll be doing that as I’ll need a flight out of TPE next year anyway. Will just purchase a flight in the US for much less. Bucket shops.

Thanks Flicka. I’ll keep that in mind. Rabbit feeder? Oh, she’s going to hate that! Duct tape the cage? It’s a sturdy import and the cat’s only 6 kilos (fat girl!) so I can’t imagine it falling apart unless they fling her around in the cage, and if they do that, I’ll kill them.

So I get an extra 10 kilos for business class? That should be enough for the bike, then.
I’m getting sick to my stomach.

“Let’s be honest with each other, just for a moment. The real thrill of a first- or business-class seat on the airplane doesn’t come with the hot towel or the freshly baked cookie. It comes before takeoff, as you nestle into your seat, sip your champagne and pretend not to notice the lumbering hordes of unfortunates squeezing by.”

Continued…

I like this article, but for me the “real thrill” isn’t in the envious looks from the unfortunates, it’s simply the fact that I won’t have to squeeze into a tiny seat with my knees hitting the front row for the next 12 hours. Luckily, collecting enough miles for an upgrade is rather easy on China Airlines, so I usually fly economy to Taiwan and business on the way back to Europe… if it were the other way around I might not want to leave Taiwan again. :wink:
(no comments on CAL, please, I know some people think it’s suicide, but it’s the only direct flight from FRA-TPE)

Alien,

Business class is heaven compared to economy class on NW. The seats are far more comfy, the food is better and more abundant and you have an in-seat movie screen. Economy class on NW still only offers one big screen per cabin showing second rate movies and they practically starve you on those long haul flights.

Try to get a window seat on the upper deck. They are the best!

I’d like to tell you the service in BC is better. Sometimes it is, but one time we had a real rag of a woman serving us in business class. NW isn’t exactly known for it’s great service.

The NW connections area at the Tokyo airport is usually crowded. But strangely if you go downstairs (there is an escalator that will lead you there) you will find it is very spacious and peaceful. There are free computers with internet access, comfy chairs that recline all the way back, snack shops, bathrooms, t.v’s…but not many people. I’ve connected there several times and while the main connections area is often crowded, not many people have discovered the oasis downstairs.

It’s all about swanning around the airport lounges and boarding when you feel like hitting the champers. You then nestle back into a nice and comfy seat and get the treatment you feel you deserve rather than half apologise cos there’s just so many other schmucks on your portion of that there flying bomb.

Enjoy. BTW, if you were sitting next to me on a long haul with a cat under your seat I’d probably complain and push for a free first class upgrade - just for the upgrade mind.

Catch ya when you get back.

Bestest.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

Enjoy. BTW, if you were sitting next to me on a long haul with a cat under your seat I’d probably complain and push for a free first class upgrade - just for the upgrade mind. [/quote]

Why? I don’t stink! My cat will be in a carrier and asleep! I don’t even talk to people on flights. I’m very anti-social whilst in transit!
:wink:

And NW doesn’t have first class. Biz has 176 degree lie flat seats, superior in-flight service and one of the industry’s most advanced personal entertainment systems:

nwa.com/services/bustrav/wbc/

Besides what was mentioned, not sure if anyone said Business Counter check-ins. This is a big plus. I can’t stand the long lines at the airport to check in.

Business class also has priority luggage which not sure if anyone mentioned. This is nice when it works, as your luggage is first.

Business class boards before Economy. Another nice perk that I am not sure if anyone mentioned.

I really like the NWA Business Class lounge in Detroit. Also, NWA has a great mileage program.

I agree with Erhu, Upper Deck seating is better as it is usually quieter up there and there is the side window storage and usually more space between the seats in front of you.

By the way, you chose a good airline for business class. Be careful with Taiwan based airlines. Although I prefer their service, if you fly to the East coast of the US as I do, you will have to transfer on the west coast to I think Economy. Wait, or was that Eva’s Economy deluxe? I think I remember recently flying with China Airline and I switched to United First (business) at LAX. Fly on those big planes as long as possible before switching to US domestic.

It is really for the space and for reclining. Other than that everything else is worthless. I glasses are not any cleaner. The stewardess are not any cuter. And the immigration line is not any shorter. The luggage coming fast is debatable.

I wonder how much a personal charter plane would cost compare to 1st class. :smiling_imp:

Hobart,
You’re right about priority luggage. Once I flew back from Bali with this oversized carved wooden mirror thing and Singapore Air offered to put my luggage priority to make sure it got back in one piece. It did, and was one of the first things on the carousel.

Does anyone know if the luggage pets get sent on the carousel? I mean, some of those have those drops that slide down and circle around. I’d be mortified if Pumpkin went spilling over that thing. :astonished:

[quote=“Alien”]

Does anyone know if the luggage pets get sent on the carousel? I mean, some of those have those drops that slide down and circle around. I’d be mortified if Pumpkin went spilling over that thing. :astonished:[/quote]

They don’t get sent on the carousel. They carry them out and take them out a door by the carousel. They did roll my dog on the belt at CKS at the check-in counter (but they don’t put them through the x-ray).

I flew first class once, from San Francisco to Taipei. Best flight of my life. There was only one other person in the cabin, so our stewardess (who was a knockout) was always attentive. As soon as I boarded, I was offered a strawberry champagne cocktail, and some hot hors d’oerves. The seat was very comfortable, the food was excellent, the movies were funnier. And I owed it all to my nicotine habit. I had specified a smoking seat when I bought the ticket, and confirmed the smoking seat twice prior to the day of departure. WHen I checked in, however, they tried telling me that all the smoking seats were occupied. I told them that I would be smoking wherever they put me, so this was their problem, not mine. I wasn’t even aware that I was bumped to first class until I boarded, and instead of being asked to turn right and move towards the readr of the plane, I was told to turn left. I then looked closely at my seat number. 3A! I sailed past the packed business class section, passed through the magic curtains of first class, and my memory of the rest of the flight remains as a long-ago dream… SInce they stopped smoking on all flights, I figured I might as well quit too. I wonder what I’d have to do now to get bumped up a class or two?