Butter Chicken and Indian Food in Taiwan

I know it is culturally inappropriate, but I can’t stop myself from saying ‘butter chicken’ in an Indian accent.

2 Likes

Normally I hate vegetarian food but I will say that if I had to be a vegetarian, I’d want to be one in India. Indian veg food is so filling, tasty and satisfying. Don’t even miss veg (although Indian non veg is also life changing).

But, you couldn’t be vegan (so much cream, eggs, butter, ECT) involved

1 Like

We always get butter chicken at Hualien-based Madina Indian Bistro (actually Pakistani food), but not because it’s so special, but because it’s one of the few non-spicy dishes they have (for our youngest who can’t handle spicy food yet). I really like the food at Madina. I have a bite of the butter chicken but quickly move on to other dishes with a bit more spice.

https://g.co/kgs/H9ye55

Lots of tasty Indian vegan dishes as well. In fact, most of the tasty homely dishes are vegan, e.g. Dal Tadka / Aloo Gobi / Chana Masala / Baingan Bharta. Samosas and a lot of other snacks are also vegan.

3 Likes

I haven’t been to many Indian restaurants here tbh. Most of the ones I have been to ranged between disappointing and severely disappointing. The only exception I remember being good and wanting to go back to (and actually going back to) was Rawat Indian Kitchen in Kaohsiung.

I do sometimes think to try a few more in Taipei (I assume there are decent ones…somewhere), but usually I just cook at home and don’t find/make the time to go to restaurants much. Given past experience, I tend to just wait until I’m in Thailand or Malaysia to get decent Indian food. :man_shrugging:

I’m okay with Japanese-style curry from time to time, though it’s not something I’m desperate to have or would miss if it suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth.

2 Likes

That’s fair. but for me I take a shitty indian (pakistani) place in Taiwan over any taiwnaese japanese style curry. those japanese curries even in japan are…pass. yuck. but it’s cheap and sweet so remains popular. I have a few “indian” places I like, but they are all pretty nasty as far as sanitation. so I wont mention them. but they taste amazing. just need to stick near a toilet after :kissing_closed_eyes: butthevstyle and spices are good.

That makes sense. can go one way, but not the other.

Nice suggestions, I will try if I can find it or will you cook it for us.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have any trouble doing that. Pretty much every Indian restaurant has those dishes.

1 Like

It’s a late hot Summer in cooler countries.

This is my excuse to post one of my favourite comedy clips of all time.

‘I shall care for cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick’

3 Likes

Yeah almost all restaurants here have those dishes

2 Likes

Just a quick update. The last two or three times I’ve ordered from this establishment, the food has been completely unrecognizable compared to before. I do not have an inside information, but it seems their formerly excellent chef has left.

Guy

This location seems not as good, the other one is better? You like the bar or service, what is better?

1 Like

They have another location? Or do you mean a completely different restaurant? What’s it called?

The butter chicken I tried in other Indian restaurants in Kaohsiung (Pooja’s, and Rawat) had too much ginger.

I don’t know. I usually just order it on Uber Eats :man_shrugging:t2:

Yes, they have more than one, other one in better area with better shopping and things to do. The area you mention is full or bars for seamen (saliors) area to me.

1 Like

Ah ok I didn’t know that. I’ll have to try the other one.

Hey that’s my neighborhood you’re talking about! :unamused: But yes, it’s an old man area. Not even old man bar… Old man area in general :joy:

1 Like

Doon valley has a location on Huarong as well

2 Likes

Lots new Indian places in Tainan along with South and SouthEast restaurants. Went to Sunil’s curry, was fair prices had nice Aubergine (eggplant mash) curry.

A few more photos

1 Like

@PeiHua-Connie Have you been to Indian Palace at the food court of E Sky Mall in Auzihdi? It’s probably the cheapest Indian food in Kaohsiung, and it’s good!

I haven’t tried their butter chicken yet, but this is their beef masala. $310 for the whole set.

@DunderMifflin Cheaper than Indian food in the US! You’ve got to give it a try if you’re ever in Kaohsiung.

4 Likes