Butter Chicken and Indian Food in Taiwan

Yup, Wikipedia listed that as a possibility, but that still isn’t the meaning I grew up with

2 Likes

One source from Boston University:

Guy

It also contains the letter n, and I think we all know what that could relate to.

1 Like

download

1 Like

I always just thought it meant something like an unexpected warm period, but it’s not a phrase I remember hearing much.

I do wonder how many Indians have actually been offended by the phrase. Or maybe it’s just the odd humanities professor finding it offensive on their behalf…?

3 Likes

I have a serious issue with the word butter. I’ve seen Last Tango in Paris.

Aren’t they all a bit odd? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I meant “odd” as in “occasional” and only thought of the other meaning after posting.

…and then just left it as is. :sweat_smile:

Never heard that before

He kinda blows his on credibility out of the water.

And anyways, he explicitly says it is one possibility. It’s also possible his book wasn’t as bad as he thinks it is

A discussion about curry becomes a discussion about vicarious offence. Only on the flob.

Indeed. This search

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+british+people+appropriated+curry&oq=how+british+people+appropriated+curry&aqs=chrome..69i57.14910j1j16&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Gave this result

!!!

1 Like

I get ya, but its probably the only way the Taiwanese masses buy into it…

They’ve already done it with Italian food.

so you dont like curry in Taiwan either it seems :joy:

The curry here isn’t like proper curry back home, for sure.

ya haha. a taiwanese take on a japanese take of an english/indian bastard child. it gets muddy fast for sure. as tt points out.

I am a fan of various folks calling curry gravy though. just not sure why it is never reciprocal calling gravies curry… :thinking:

1 Like

Curry is the Hindi term for gravy, so you wouldn’t call gravy “curry” unless you were speaking Hindi.

You can call Indian gravy by its Hindi name “curry” though, since it’s an Indian dish.

1 Like

haha, good to know

oh, after reading comments not sure what to think or even the restaurant might alo not sure what to think after reading the comments here

1 Like