Butterflies and Moths in Taiwan

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]1 cup brown sugar, 1 or 2 cans local beer, 3 mashed overripe bananas [or mangoes], 1 cup of molasses or syrup, 1 cup of fruit juice, 1 shot of rum.
Mix all ingredients well and paint on trees, fence posts, rocks, or stumps–or simply soak a sponge in the mix and put it in a place for them to hang out.[/quote]

That must create a lot of FUI (Fluttering under the influence) and attract a lot of ants and other sugar-loving insects?

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]1 cup brown sugar, 1 or 2 cans local beer, 3 mashed overripe bananas [or mangoes], 1 cup of molasses or syrup, 1 cup of fruit juice, 1 shot of rum.
Mix all ingredients well and paint on trees, fence posts, rocks, or stumps–or simply soak a sponge in the mix and put it in a place for them to hang out.[/quote]

That must create a lot of FUI (Fluttering under the influence) and attract a lot of ants and other sugar-loving insects?[/quote]

:smiley: :smiley: true, I usually paint the vicinity as advertisement, and the sponge is in the feeder. Works like a charm. Ants stay on the ground. Mantids also join the party, but I don’t know if it is for the juice or the meat of other bugs…

A rather ugly one

Lebeda nobilis

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”][quote=“hannes”][quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]

Cool, what are you feeding them? [/quote][/quote]

1 cup brown sugar, 1 or 2 cans local beer, 3 mashed overripe bananas [or mangoes], 1 cup of molasses or syrup, 1 cup of fruit juice, 1 shot of rum.

can they FUI?

So glad to have found this thread. If Chris or anyone can identify any of these from my poor quality photos I would be grateful.

Also, does anyone know which butterfly or moth it is that looks so like a dead leaf it’s impossible to spot once it’s landed?

A swallowtail of some kind (Papilio bianor, maybe)

[quote=“Petrichor”]

Also, does anyone know which butterfly or moth it is that looks so like a dead leaf it’s impossible to spot once it’s landed?[/quote]

The Dead Leaf :slight_smile:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kallima_inachus

Thanks, Chris and Tempo. How about these, which seem pretty common? I know most of the common butterflies in the UK but I’m ashamed to say I don’t have much of a clue here.

Also, how about dragonflies? Should I post here or start another thread? What do people think?

[quote=“Petrichor”]Thanks, Chris and Tempo. How about these, which seem pretty common? I know most of the common butterflies in the UK but I’m ashamed to say I don’t have much of a clue here.

[/quote]
Probably a Glassy Tiger. Definitely of the genus Parantica.

[quote=“Petrichor”]Thanks, Chris and Tempo. How about these, which seem pretty common? I know most of the common butterflies in the UK but I’m ashamed to say I don’t have much of a clue here.
[/quote]

Staff Sergeant
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athyma_selenophora

A Dead Leaf.

I think there are so many different butterflies and moths in Taiwan that this thread should be only about those. If you start posting about dragonflies, then the thread might become about all kind of insects, cause where do you stop, right?

I find it interesting that both butterflies and dragonflies have an extremely similar cousin, moths and damselflies, where the easiest way to tell them apart is by checking whether the wings are spread open or not when they land.

Interesting indeed. Perhaps this difference allows them to occupy a niche that folded wing types find difficult for some reason?

Great pictures! I would love to try to incorporate some of this stuff into trips. I come across scores of different butterflies and moths all through the year and would love to learn more. What is the best resource to find more about the butterflies in Taiwan(in English book form)? I would love to get a little net as well to show folks some of the more common species, as long as I knew exactly what they were and taking the risk of catching them was fine.

As a side note, anywhere I can learn about the poisonous ones? Even a Chinese website is fine. I have been stung pretty badly by more than a few kinds of caterpillars and I would love to know more about them!

This is a great book if it’s still in print:

smcbook.com.tw/shop2/product … ml/XTCsid/

Cheap, fits right in your back pocket, photos and descriptions of anything you might see–in Chinese. BUT of course there are Latin names for everything. Enough to identify stuff.

Thanks again, Chris and Tempo. Woohoo, I spotted a Dead Leaf resting. Looking forward to taking some more photos when the warm weather returns and posting them here for identification.

Saw this a while ago in the Sanxia area.

found these two useful links:
gaga.biodiv.tw/new23/cp04_51.htm

gaga.biodiv.tw/new23/cp04_7.htm