Butterflies and Moths in Taiwan

I’d like to start a new topic (please merge it if there is another one like it somewhere, couldn’t find any) about

Butterflies and Moths

I love hiking and I love everything that is crawling and fluttering about around hiking trails and country roads.

So in this thread I hope people could share their pictures of butterflies, moths, and caterpillars spotted in Taiwan. I am particularly interested in matching caterpillars with butterflies/moths. Always eager to find out what a caterpillar will turn out to be after transformation.

I’ll start with this shot of what I believe is a moth caterpillar.

(Oh, and let’s try to keep it one image per post, OK?)

captured this one on Guishandao. It’s frigging huge.

this mothling was able to move around the rim of the flower pot dangling while half of its body is in a cacoon. Taken around Hsingshan, Hsinchu.

It’s moth that flies and feeds like a humming bird. Taken at Nantou.

Love the first one. I saw a giant moth once in the Keelung area. Will try to find the pic.

Just some moth on the ground.

i have never seen one like that before.

[quote=“hannes”]I’ll start with this shot of what I believe is a moth caterpillar.

[/quote]

Yes indeed, of the genus Parasa.

Interesting triangular pattern

I love the colors of those. Very disco like. :slight_smile:

I’m just here to see: I’m really enjoying this thread. Please keep them coming.

Don’t you do macro too? I remember you posted some nice close ups.

There’s a place called Butterfly Corridor. It’s on Yang Ming Mountain, and is supposed to have loads of butterflies from May to August (I think). I went there last year and it was raining, so I didn’t see anything. Has anyone been? If so where there really so many butterflies?

There are a few main differences I’ve noticed between caterpillars here and the majority of what I’ve seen in the UK. The ones here look so colourful and often have hairs/bristles on their backs. Does this mean that most of them are poisonous?

A few years ago I posted quite a few butterfly pics in the daily photos thread (not in the 180+ page :astonished: Daily Photos - part 13, but part 12). I’m not going to post them all over again but I’ll just put four that I went back and found into this post. They were taken with a little Panasonic LX3 that worked quite well. Unfortunately, I don’t have anything that takes half-decent close-up shots now, so I’ve given up chasin the flutterbies. :frowning:

That last caterpillar was about the length of a cigar. Chris is the man to ask about this stuff.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]

That last caterpillar was about the length of a cigar. Chris is the man to ask about this stuff.[/quote]

That is a strange one, indeed, probably difficult to spot too, despite its size (cigar??? wow!)

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]There’s a place called Butterfly Corridor. It’s on Yang Ming Mountain, and is supposed to have loads of butterflies from May to August (I think). I went there last year and it was raining, so I didn’t see anything. Has anyone been? If so where there really so many butterflies?

There are a few main differences I’ve noticed between caterpillars here and the majority of what I’ve seen in the UK. The ones here look so colourful and often have hairs/bristles on their backs. Does this mean that most of them are poisonous?[/quote]

Have been there a few times, not a great place to spot butterflies. Dark tree shade and lots of people on good days, it’s something for family outings. I prefer farm areas with open spaces and lots of wild flowers.

I built a simple butterfly feeder, and it works like a charm. Moths and butterflies and other bugs congregate their in their numbers.

The most interesting [beautiful ] caterpillar and butterfly I saw, are these [they are not related, the butterfly is a blue argus, or blue pantsy

Cool, what are you feeding them? I have the occasional 無尾鳳蝶 (Papilio demoleus libanius) laying eggs on my orange trees on my balcony in the big city. The caterpillars will eat them to the ground. It’s always great when the butterfly comes out of the pupae (?) and then flies away. Also had those smaller gray butterflies. Sometimes I pick up caterpillars that have fallen on the street and nurse them at home, but usually they die in the process. :aiyo:

I also had what I believe was a moth caterpillar feeding on another plant, then it created a cocoon, but out didn’t come a moth but some wingless creature which then laid tiny white eggs and died. What is that all about? Now I am waiting for the eggs to grow. I am loving it. It’s kindergarten stuff, but it’s fascinating kindergarten stuff. :wink:

Do come back and tell us.

There’s an excellent butterfly farm in Hualien, on the 9丙 about 1-2km south of Liyu Lake. The guy who runs it is very informative, and an ex-Olympian wrestler to boot. Not always open on weekdays, but there’s a large outdoor netted area with a number of caterpillars, feeder plants, and butterflies.

[quote=“hannes”]
[/quote]
Death’s Head Hawkmoth. Genus Acherontia, possibly Acherontia lachesis

I looked it up and found:

They have a skull on their back? Hope it doesn’t bring bad luck. Great to be able to match caterpillar with end product. You are the man, Chris! :bow:

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]

Cool, what are you feeding them? [/quote][/quote]

1 cup brown sugar, 1 or 2 cans local beer, 3 mashed overripe bananas [or mangoes], 1 cup of molasses or syrup, 1 cup of fruit juice, 1 shot of rum.
Mix all ingredients well and paint on trees, fence posts, rocks, or stumps–or simply soak a sponge in the mix and put it in a place for them to hang out.