Buttermilk for marinating chicken

I keep hearing people say to marinate chicken with buttermilk, would make it much tastier and not so dry (especially chicken breast).

So where do I get it? Is it 養樂多?

It’s definitely not 養樂多. It’s very easy to make your own, just google. I’ve never seen it for sale in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I remember having them one time and it tasted EXACTLY like 養樂多. As far as I know 養樂多 is made by letting bacteria eat up the milk and it turns sour (but under controlled conditions).

1 Like

You can’t get it here. For baking you can replicate it by souring a cup of milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar. Not sure if that will work for your purposes.

1 Like

Or just make it fairly easily.

This store had buttermilk the last time I was there, 愛焙 烘焙材料行. They keep it in the freezer.

https://goo.gl/maps/iAr77ocWybni7RBNA

1 Like

I guess the problem with that is that cream is pretty expensive here, especially in regular supermarkets but even in baking stores etc.

There are way nicer things to marinate chicken in anyway, as far as I’m concerned. :grin:

I only saw elsewhere that buttermilk somehow tenderizes chicken… I mean those fried chicken pieces they do here, no idea how they are marinated. I just know they’re more tender than I can do it.

Some people say baking soda. I was meaning to try it.

Yogurt tenderizes meat. Add some salt and whatever spices you prefer to make a marinade.

Beer is excellent too when you are grilling chicken.

It’s pretty much thick buttermilk. Should do the same job.

This one uses a brine which includes potassium nitrate to tenderize the chicken!

Should make some really explosive chicken.

I can attest baking soda works. But it also imparts a bad taste

1 Like

I’ve wondered about that actually. I don’t mind a little bite in my chicken anyway. Maybe not the best phrasing, but you know what I mean

Trust me, if you used too much, you will not eat that chicken. It isn’t some spicy taste but a very bitter, off taste, chemical like. Imagine something salty but bitter. And too much and enough is a very, very fine line.

1 Like

Works great, but go easy or it makes the texture weird.

Marinate with baking soda and stir fry with corn starch.

1 Like

Do you like soft pretzels?

Was just in a baking supply store near Technology Building MRT, saw buttermilk, and remembered this thread.

This is the store:

棋美點心屋DIY食品材料行
02 2737 5508

3 Likes

You’d better had taken a picture of the backside label that says what company it’s from.

1 Like

Nah, I didn’t - you can go there and do that if you want though.

1 Like