Buying a bag

I need to buy a bag in which to carry documents, a couple of books, and maybe a laptop computer. Not keen on briefcases – I’d much prefer a computer bag which also has extra space for books etc.

Where can I get a good one? Not interested in a cheap and nasty one that will break after a few months.

Targus is a good brand. I bought mine in the US, but they’re available here too, at various computer malls such as Nova or the Guanghua Market.

[quote=“Chris”]Targus is a good brand. I bought mine in the US, but they’re available here too, at various computer malls such as Nova or the Guanghua Market.[/quote]Thanks, Chris. I’ll check that out.

Joe,

I’d recommend the Wallaby series of bags. I’ve only seen them here in Taiwan. Best bang for the buck. Targus is very good but variety is limited by comparison, IMO. The other bag brand is Kangaroo but I much prefer the Wallaby due to better craftsmanship.

I’ve bought every conceivable bag under the earth over the years - Sumdex, Targus, Eagle Creek, Samsonite, IBM, and I’m most impressed with the Wallaby brand.

Not that easy to find though but the big Tsann Kuenns will have a decent selection.

Cheers, YC. I’ll look out for them.

I’ve got a large, unused Targus laptop bag (used once or thrice I think) that’s plenty big enough for a computer, cords, chargers, some books and your lunch too. 19.5" (50cm) x 13" (35cm) x 6.5"(16cm) roughly. Well padded, with lots of useful pockets inside for charger and stuff. It’s been sitting on a shelf for 13 years, I think. A bit dusty, but I can give it a wash. I only used it one time, to bring my notebook computer to Taiwan when I moved here. Maybe a couple times. I think it was around US$120 back then. You could have it cheap if you like. It’s a decent quality bag, and is just taking up space here. :idunno: If you’re interested, drop me a PM.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I’ve got a large, unused Targus laptop bag (used once or thrice I think) that’s plenty big enough for a computer, cords, chargers, some books and your lunch too. 19.5" (50cm) x 13" (35cm) x 6.5"(16cm) roughly. Well padded, with lots of useful pockets inside for charger and stuff. It’s been sitting on a shelf for 13 years, I think. A bit dusty, but I can give it a wash. I only used it one time, to bring my notebook computer to Taiwan when I moved here. Maybe a couple times. I think it was around US$120 back then. You could have it cheap if you like. It’s a decent quality bag, and is just taking up space here. :idunno: If you’re interested, drop me a PM.[/quote]Thanks for the offer, DB. It sounds like a nice bag but a bit too big for what I need. At the moment it’s just for books, and when I do eventually get a notebook computer that will be a MacBook which is around 13" X 9".

You might try the luggage and bags store in the Raohe (Jaoho?) night market where Bade and Nanjing meet, then.

Bag shopping? Ask my wife. She seems to do it every fucking week, practically.

Joe, what you need is a really big sporran, like Sandman.

Failing that, I settled for a choice of either:

• a leather briefcase with a clip-on shoulder strap I bought in Bali and rarely use
  • a straightforward Timberland backpack with a padded internal pocket for a laptop. Hanging any weight off one shoulder for even a short amount of time is bad for you. Spread the load.

[quote=“Loretta”]Joe, what you need is a really big sporran, like Sandman.

Failing that, I settled for a choice of either:

• a leather briefcase with a clip-on shoulder strap I bought in Bali and rarely use
  • a straightforward Timberland backpack with a padded internal pocket for a laptop. Hanging any weight off one shoulder for even a short amount of time is bad for you. Spread the load.[/quote]I was in a hurry so didn’t have time for either the custom sporran option (though I’m not sure about swinging a portable computer around my nether regions) or the other solutions you suggested. I got something from a department store which is fine for the moment. I take your point about the shoulder thing though. I’m not carrying a laptop around at the moment but when I start doing so, I’ll think about getting a backpack. I checked out the Targus site and they do backpacks. Maybe Wallaby do too.