Buying a decent helmet in Taiwan

Know what you mean, it’s much easier getting a fag in your mouth with a shit face on.

There was a hideous pic doing the rounds a few years back supposedly showing some chappy’s grazed off face. Haunted me.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Know what you mean, it’s much easier getting a fag in your mouth with a shit face on.

There was a hideous pic doing the rounds a few years back supposedly showing some chappy’s grazed off face. Haunted me.

HG[/quote]

Get a flip-up and you’ve solved both problems. They’re really great. The Zeus 508 is NT$3500 or less. If you have bucks, get a Caberg Justissimo, with its internal sun visor, which can be raised and lowered with a lever. Spiff!!!

No. no, I advocate safe riding . . . aw no, feck it, I don’t really, pass it my way, cough, splutter, just don’t tell Mordeth.

HG

I ended up with this little guy.

Even though I measured as an X-large, I ended up downsizing to an L. Fit’s like a glove. I must have tried on 30 different helmets before I found the “correct fit”, and price wasn’t an object. Had a found a lid for 20k that fit, I would have bought it, the same for a 4k MR-2. I guess I have a very strange head, tried Shoei, Arial, Nolan, Bell, MR-2 and many others. 4 hours and a splitting headache later I ended up with this Lid. Not top of the line, or even this years model, but fits well enough that at 150kph I can still ride with the visor open. Try that on a Taiwan helmet.

Only thing is that you can’t take out the liner…But, for 6k and a perfect fit, I’ll live with it. :sunglasses:

6k? Sweet!

I do agree it comes down to fit. My wife uses a full-face HJC (C-15 I think) while I have a Shoei. The Shoei (R-1000) is a bit lighter, but then again, it costs 3x the amount. Both models have the removable liner and scratch resistent/antifog shield. I purchased both in the U.S.

I’ve tried on many many different helmets before I settled on shoei. It actually took quite a while b/c you need to wear the helmet on for at least 5 minutes to see if your head starts hurting after that length of time. It’s not actually very comfortable wearing a helmet I find b/c it needs to fit so securely on your head. It’s rather ironic that I bought my helmet, shipped it to Taiwan, paid an arm and a leg on the import “taxes” and then I decide not to ride here b/c the traffic in downtown Taipei sucks and people on this island, in general, don’t have a high regard for human life, compared to North America.

By the way, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post this here or not, I’m selling my SHOEI RF-900 - duhamel helmet (Silver and blue). I did also post the details on forumosafieds. If I’m not allowed to post that, please delete it.

[quote=“kellohitty”]By the way, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post this here or not, I’m selling my SHOEI RF-900 - duhamel helmet (Silver and blue). I did also post the details on forumosafieds. If I’m not allowed to post that, please delete it.[/quote]That’s OK. I noticed the Joe Rocket mesh jacket that you’re selling over there too. Useful piece of kit. I’m sure it will come in very handy to someone.

I think that Goose Egg and Maoman are working on a feature of the Forumosafieds that will mean that new ads over there will show up on Forumosa as well, or something. That will be very helpful. But at least until that happens I won’t object to people posting here to alert members to ads over there.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
Get a flip-up and you’ve solved both problems. They’re really great. The Zeus 508 is NT$3500 or less. If you have bucks, get a Caberg Justissimo, with its internal sun visor, which can be raised and lowered with a lever. Spiff!!![/quote]

I’ve read reviews for both and it looks like Caberg has the edge because the Zeus works for a round head. Anyone know if the Caberg is available in Taipei?

Heres a review of the Caberg Justissimo http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/reviews/caberg_justissimo.html

and heres one of the Zeus 508 http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-helmet.htm

Cheers Dragonbones for the heads up

[quote=“MJB”]I ended up with this little guy.

[/quote]

might i ask where you got it? i need a new hat for my melon, and i have had difficulty finding anything that fits my fat head.

Oh, it has the edge for more reasons than that. It’s a higher quality helmet overall. The flip-up mechanism is sturdier, it’s cooler looking, and it has an internal flip-down sun visor which is just unbelievably useful.

No, I don’t think it’s available here; I ordered mine from England. I’m pretty sure it was from http://www.designerhelmets.com/. Service was a bit slow, so be patient.

BTW, webbikeworld also reviewed the Caberg, but under another name, Jarow Mono X2. Since the latter is no longer carried in the US, Rick has retitled the page for the Caberg:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-justissimo/

If you’re seriously considering one, just remind me a day before the next HH and I’ll bring mine for you to check out.

Thanks DB

I really must make a HH soon.

I’ll be back in the UK in about 2 weeks for a holiday so will try and organize one there.

You mean a shit-face helmet? Well, that’s what we used to call them back in Oz.

HG[/quote]

I think you’re getting confused with Aussies saying you’re “shit faced” when they saw you ride up and staggering off your cycle.

Did you ever hear anybody else called this?

dragonbones wrote:

i have a Nolan N101 which has exactly the same features, only that the extra sun-visor is external. i bought it last year for 12K in a shop here in taipei. they don’t sell helmets usually, but i saw it in another shop at the corner of keelung rd and guangfu s rd as well. check it out.

I’d be very interested in your detailed critique of this helmet; the only review I’ve seen was here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-helmets/x-lite-x-1002.htm
I’m not sure it’s the same helmet, but this is a Nolan with the external sunshade; the same product sometimes gets marketed under different model names. Rick’s review was very mixed.

I will add that the Caberg sun visor is not just a narrow strip, so when you lower it fully, it fully covers your field of vision. This is a plus for me. It has very little distortion. On the other hand if you have a very protruding face and big nose, it might be a problem, as the sun visor comes down very close. Sometimes I have to adjust my glasses (make sure they’re sitting tightly) before lowering the sun visor, or it may clip the top of my glasses. So I’d recommend trying one before buying it.

yup, it is the same helmet, aside from the logo and a slightly different chin-vent.
i did not experience disturbed view when the sun-visor was down, but you have to make sure its in the lowest position. when you ride in the mountains with changing lights through the woods it can be disturbing though. thats usually the moment when i flip it up. but not on the city streets. there it beats shades worn inside. and it stays very stable at any speed at any position. and as for the noise: well, i like to hear the engine, in fact i have to, since i don’t have a rev meter on my bike. i usually leave the visor open a bit (~5mm) for better ventilation on hot days and to hear whats going on around me. when i close it fully i am always surprised how quiet it is inside. and it can get very hot inside, even with all the fancy vents so i still look for a lighter helmet for the summer.
overall i must say, its been a good choice i made a year ago. sure its pricey but i trust the european manufacturer that i knew (used to have a Nolan a decade ago already) and i knew it would be safer than the tupperware bowls you see being sold on the streets.

[quote=“xtrain”][quote=“MJB”]I ended up with this little guy.

[/quote]

might i ask where you got it? I need a new hat for my melon, and I have had difficulty finding anything that fits my fat head.[/quote]

Autobike in Chungli, but I’m pretty sure I got the last one of the “budget Sharks”. Next level up is around 13k. For that you get the removable liner and some fancier colors, but construction materials are the same.

Come into Chungli on the main highway one running through downtown, and turn right at the fish market road (left goes to Chung yuen) and go down about 100 meters…You’ll see the Kawasaki sign on your right. They have a good selection of lids, including a couple of Taiwan brands that have DOT/SNELL certification.

I have kind of an eggshell shaped head, and one thing I noticed was that the upper Taiwan brands (and they are pretty nice) are designed more to fit a melon head such as yours… :wink:

Worth checking out.

this group is discussing just the same, shedding more light to the subject:

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2833

[quote]Dragonbones wrote:
Get a flip-up and you’ve solved both problems. They’re really great. The Zeus 508 is NT$3500 or less[/quote]

I can give a couple of small thumbs up on the Zeus 508. I got one a couple of weeks ago after trying a bunch on. It seems like a really nice lid for the money.
The flip up is really nice feature for anyone with glasses. The regular full face ones I always have to take my glasses off when I put on or take of my helmet. Just a bit of a hassle.

The flip up goes on like an open face but with the protection of a full face.

Nice

I’ve got a SHOEI X-ELEVEN Daijiro… love it… but it’s prolly way overkill for the scooter heh. I’ve seen a bunch of Shoei rip offs out there by Index… almost bought one myself – anyone know how those helmets are?