Buying a decent helmet in Taiwan

I bought a ACE.
I asked my gf to bring me to a helmet store and I could find nothing for my european head.
I asked if there is anny decent stores, but no.

I found the ACE in the end that fitted my head quite good and the lady in the store filled up the side off the helmet so the fitt was bether.

It was sold for 1800 I think aparently because she could not sell it, because taiwanese has to big heads.

My girlfriend thought the helmet was exspensive, but at home I doubt they are even legal to sell.

Would be interesting to see a number off how manny people in taiwan die or get serious injured because off lack off helmet or for using wrong helmet.

Apple Daily. Sunday or Monday ā€œExploding Headsā€ edition is the best.

[quote=ā€œzerosumā€]Iā€™ve got a SHOEI X-ELEVEN Daijiroā€¦ love itā€¦ but itā€™s prolly way overkill for the scooter heh. Iā€™ve seen a bunch of Shoei rip offs out there by Indexā€¦ almost bought one myself ā€“ anyone know how those helmets are?[/quote]Why do so many people think itā€™s not worth wearing a decent helmet on a scooter? I was holding my helmet (ooh-err, missus! ā€“ no, not that helmet) waiting for someone the other day and a guy came up to me and asked what kind of bike I rode. So I pointed to the BWS. He was surprised. He showed me his totally inadequate 500NT night market-type helmet and said that that was for riding his scooter, but that he had a decent helmet for riding his FZ6. Why? Do road conditions suddenly change when youā€™re riding a sports motorbike? Yes, speeds are different, but there are just as many other drivers around.

So I would say to people that unless they possess two heads there is no need to use two helmets. One decent one will do fine.

[quote=ā€œjoesaxā€][quote=ā€œzerosumā€]Iā€™ve got a SHOEI X-ELEVEN Daijiroā€¦ love itā€¦ but itā€™s prolly way overkill for the scooter heh. Iā€™ve seen a bunch of Shoei rip offs out there by Indexā€¦ almost bought one myself ā€“ anyone know how those helmets are?[/quote]Why do so many people think itā€™s not worth wearing a decent helmet on a scooter? I was holding my helmet (ooh-err, missus! ā€“ no, not that helmet) waiting for someone the other day and a guy came up to me and asked what kind of bike I rode. So I pointed to the BWS. He was surprised. He showed me his totally inadequate 500NT night market-type helmet and said that that was for riding his scooter, but that he had a decent helmet for riding his FZ6. Why? Do road conditions suddenly change when youā€™re riding a sports motorbike? Yes, speeds are different, but there are just as many other drivers around.

So I would say to people that unless they possess two heads there is no need to use two helmets. One decent one will do fine.[/quote]
In actual fact, Iā€™d say there is more chance of having a crash while riding a scooter due to congestion in cities (where scooters are most used) as opposed to outside the cities.

I think for many people, scootering around involves a 5 min scoot, stop, do some stuff, go again for a few mins, stop, do some stuff, go againā€¦etc, where is riding a big bike is more like 1-2hr stretches between breaks. The convenience of wearing a next-to-useless hat that is easy to put on/off and stow seems to outweigh the safety benefits of wearing a proper full face helmet in those conditions. The same logic as to why is seems perfectly normal to not see any need to put anything (useless or otherwise) on the kids :loco: - too much hassle.

I agree with Joe.

I bought a ā€œBellā€ helmet for NT2300.

It fits perfectly and seems to be a hell of a lot better constructed than Taiwanese helmets.

After a week the clip that holds on the visor fell off while I was driving. I went back to the shop and they replaced it no problem.

Then today the clip that clips the chin strap together fell off. It just came un-fastened and I put it back on.

While I am satified with it I am wondering if it is real. Has anyone heard of shops selling fake helmets?

[quote=ā€œLo Bo Toā€]I bought a ā€œBellā€ helmet for NT2300.

It fits perfectly and seems to be a hell of a lot better constructed than Taiwanese helmets.

After a week the clip that holds on the visor fell off while I was driving. I went back to the shop and they replaced it no problem.

Then today the clip that clips the chin strap together fell off. It just came un-fastened and I put it back on.

While I am satified with it I am wondering if it is real. Has anyone heard of shops selling fake helmets?[/quote]

I tryed the bell to and it did not fitt my head. My head is to smal four moust helmets.
I tell people itā€™s because I have nothing to put inside

[quote=ā€œMordethā€]There was an ariticle in Motorcyclist magazine a few months back where they compared 500 dollar (American) helmets with 50 dollar helmets. What was the conclusion? In many cases the cheap helmets were safer with regards to impact absorbtion.

ā€¦

So all in allā€¦any full face helmet THAT FITS VERY TIGHT WITHOUT CAUSING DISCOMFORT would be fine. For caucasians I recommend Shark helmetsā€¦their lower tier helmests run about 7,000.[/quote]

I think an easy way to look at it would be to consider a SNELL helmet one that was designed for a racing environment. It transmits more force to your skull and brain but is able to withstand more impacts. This is really important on the track where you may crash and tumble for a really long distance, continually smashing your helmet into the ground (been there, done that). The SNELL spec says a helmet must be able to take multiple impacts.

The DOT standard is geared more for the street. Itā€™s designed to handle one huge impact. This works well for the street where speeds are lower and the lack of run-off means that you arenā€™t going to tumble very long (before youā€™re stopped by a car, curb, sign-post, etc.).

In any case, I find the Taiwanese helmets to be frightening - a lot like the ā€œbeanieā€ helmets worn by the Harley riders back in the 'States. Impact protection is provided by the foam liner (the stuff that looks like expanded polystyrene, or the white stuff they use to package electronics). It deforms and crushes, absorbing energy that otherwise would be transmitted to your skull, and then your brain. Taiwanese helmets seem to have very, very little of this impact absorbing foam.

As for fit, you want to find a helmet whose interior gently but consisistenly touches all around your face. With a full face helmet, you should have continual contact through the cheeks, temples and forehead. You should ā€œtestā€ wear a helmet for at least 20 minutes. It should remain comfortable. You are looking for a snug, gentle fit ā€“ not something that grips your head and leaves welts when you take it off. With the chinstrap fastened, you should not be able to roll the helmet off your head either forwards or backwards. The helmet should not be loose and flop around if you shake your head. A full face helmet is heavier and hotter but provides much more protection than an open face helmet.

Asians and Europeans generally have different head shapes. Because the foam liners can be changed by the manufacturers for each specific market, you may find it difficult to find a properly fitting helmet it you are not of the ā€œmajorityā€ market in an area. Arai is the only brand I know that markets multiple head shapes in all its markets.

A helmet is the most important safety equipment you can wear on a bike. Iā€™ve destroyed 4 helmets in the past couple of years in ā€œloss of controlā€ incidents between 15mph and 90+mph. Thanks to the helmets (all Arai), the least battered part of my body is my head! :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like to recommend the ā€˜Byke Fancy Shopā€™ (?) on Wenxin road sec. 3 no. 84 in Taichung. (According to their business card they have another store in Taipei, but you should probably call and verify first before making a trip - (02) 2535-6262). They sell all kinds of serious motorcycle clothing, helmets etc. and not a NT$99 toy hat in sight.

After my recent crash I needed a new lid, so I went to this place on recommendation from a Taiwanese friend. I have a small head and took a long time finding my previous helmets so was pleasantly surprised when the owner of this store instantly handed me two models to try that were almost perfect. I went with a maximum budget of NT$15,000 in mind but I really got the impression that he was trying to find me something with the best fit rather than the best markup.

After some consideration and walking around with various helmets I settled on a Nitro N1000-V for NT$3,500. While I doubt this would be a good fit for many foreigners, it fits me perfectly and is one of the lightest helmets Iā€™ve worn (on a par with Shoei/Shark lids). As an added bonus it has a completely removable, washable liner with a very nice, expensive feel to the fit and finish. Itā€™s a UK import (made in China) and manufactured to EC 22.05 and UK ACU Gold standard which I hadnā€™t heard of, so I did some research before buying. It turns out that EC 22.05 is a real EU standard recognised by the racing organisations and requires even higher impact velocity standards than DOT, so weā€™re safe there. The general price for this helmet at online stores in the UK seems to be around the GBP150-200 mark (NT$9,000-12,000) so I think I got a pretty good deal. Almost made the crash worthwhile!

I saw a real man on saturday. Half way into Taipei, lying on the ground not moving. I knew it was serious cos the locals were not tending to him, just standing back, some ladies crying.
He was wearing one of those 200nt lids, and his head hit the road on the side (where I presume 95% of head impacts occur) and the blood(or maybe his brain -no shit) that had sprayed out I would liked to a water melon falling off a truck. It sprayed out in a fan for over a meter.

Heā€™s not a real man anymore, heā€™s real dead.[/quote]

last time i was in Taiwan a few years ago, Taipei City averaged one death a day from traffic accidents and Taiwan averaged bout 10 deaths daily from traffic accidents. And a great majority of the cases involved scooters !! Wear that helmet and ride defensively. and watch out for everything coming from everywhere !!!

I rode a moped in Taiwan for 2 years and scared myself into giving it up after only 12,000 km !! You guys are all braver then I. I felt driving in a car was bad enough , let alone being on a scooter. But i must admit. There are roads that really are enjoyable with a scooter. :slight_smile: I remember riding on the newly opened BING HAI to Fulung from Taipei. And to Wulai a few times. And all this on a 50cc honda moped that looked like a bike with a motor and was always in 3rd gear . Everytime i went to get an oil change, the laoban would try to talk me out of riding that thing. saying its for ladies only !! It was pretty sissy. And i remember coming upon a dude with his MOTO GUZZI 500cc with the full riding gear and after asking him what he was riding, proudly proclaimed mine to be a 50cc !!! The guy wouldnt even talk to meā€¦

I have a round head (as opposed to an egg-shaped head), and I measure out to be an XL, but XXLs ends up fitting my head the best. In my search for comfort, I ended up trying all types of helmets. I have a bunch of helmetsā€¦ I have 2 Nolan N100 modular helmets, 1 HJC full face, 1 KBC Wolf full face, 3 Schuberth C2 modular helmets, and two no-name cheapie asian modular helmets. My conclusion?

The HJC and KBC full face does the job fine. The Schuberth is quality all the way & I love the thing. I hate the Nolan N100ā€™s because they require 2 hands to open & itā€™s difficult to do. and the cheapie asian modular helmets are a huge disappointment - the tabs that hold the helmet closed broke off before I could use the helmet. Thatā€™s dangerous as hell. Never again will I spend money on a no-name-brand helmet.

Oh yeah, and the reason for all the excess is because I have to accomodate the PXJs (PsychoXiaoJies) on the back of my ride. Hee hee :smiley:

By the way, are helmets in Taiwan/Taipei substantially higher than in the USA, due to the tarriffs & markups? Do they rape you with duties/fees like they do with big bikes? Or, are the helmets comparable to MSRP?

Ive got a Scorpion helmet around 4000nt. it fits well, which is why i bought it. a little loud, but i use ear plugs. so far so good. and the best part, it has an anti-fog visor that really works. the thing is really clear.

second choice was suomy. but it really depends on what your noggin shape is like.

[quote=ā€œJack Burtonā€]Ive got a Scorpion helmet around 4000nt. it fits well, which is why i bought it. a little loud, but i use ear plugs. so far so good. and the best part, it has an anti-fog visor that really works. the thing is really clear.

second choice was suomy. but it really depends on what your noggin shape is like.[/quote]

I also bought a Sorpion one. Itā€™s EXO-700
so far the fitā€™s pretty comfortableā€¦
i used to wear a Shoei Z2 the scorpion one feels pretty much the same
i got it for under US$200

Iā€™m looking for a halfway decent, not to pricey helmet, and read through this thread for some guidance. In light of recent events, the first page is the most disturbing thing Iā€™ve yet read here. Ugh.

What really is the difference between a full-face helmet that is $1500 or less and one that is $6000, for example?

What are you really getting for $15,000?

Iā€™ve never gone crazy on helmets that way, but I would like to know why some of you do.

[quote=ā€œMerā€]What really is the difference between a full-face helmet that is $1500 or less and one that is $6000, for example?[/quote]Go into a helmet shop and feel the difference! 1000NT gets you a horrible thin lightweight thing that doesnā€™t give you much protection. Between around 3000NT and 6000NT gets you something that offers you a whole lot more protection, though a bit heavier. Then the more expensive helmets, say around 8000NT and above, give you a bit better protection but mostly increased comfort, ventilation, a lighter weight, etc. So if youā€™re on a budget, it makes sense to buy one of those ā€œmidrangeā€ 3000NT or so helmets which are actually considered ā€œentry levelā€ helmets in any country with decent laws about this kind of thing.

The only thing I didnā€™t like about my Scorpion was the noise level. I already wear ear plugs, but I noticed there was a lot of noise after awhile. Other than that, for the price point, it canā€™t be beat (assuming you have the right shape).

Anyone know of a higher-end helmet that shapes like the Scorpion? I guess Iā€™m a bit of a melon head. Iā€™m about to get a replacement helmet.

[quote=ā€œMerā€]What really is the difference between a full-face helmet that is $1500 or less and one that is $6000, for example?

What are you really getting for $15,000? [/quote]

Right. What joesax said. Iā€™ll add a bit: youā€™re also getting better quality overall as you go up in price. Quality pivot mechanisms, quality vent mechanisms, quality liners, and so on.

Dragonbabeā€™s Zeus 508W flipup is a decent hat for NT$3400 or so, but the plastic screws on the side on which the chin piece pivots keep coming loose, resulting in the chin and visor frequently flipping down suddenly on her if she tries leaving it up. Some riders have experienced having the visor flip UP while riding at speed if they turn their head. Both can be fixed by tightening the plastic screws with a 1NT coin, but you have to do it frequently, which is a slight pain. Itā€™s not a particularly quiet helmet either. If you want an inexpensive flip-up for under $6000, this is it.

But if you have a bit more budget, move up in range to a Caberg Justissimo flipup (fka Jarow Mono X2):the pivot mechanism is much more rugged, made of metal, and so are the side latches locking the chinpiece down, which in theory means much better facial protection in a frontal impact. No problems with it flipping down while climbing the stairs to the apt., or flipping up while riding. The vents are better quality, large (for good airflow in hot weather) and easy to use even with gloves on (many helmets are not). But the best part is the flip-down internal sunvisor. Try finding one on any other helmet costing less than TWICE the price of a Caberg. Honestly, itā€™s so damned useful to be able to hit a lever and have shades, and to be able to flip up the visor and chin at a stoplight to have a drink, chat or cool off, that I end up wearing this thing more than any other helmet. And overall, this feels like itā€™s going to last me a while. Definitely worth the bucks, although I had to order it by mail (increasing costs somewhat, and adding to the risk of a poor fit). The Zeus doesnā€™t have that reassuring solidity, but itā€™s well worth the price too, and itā€™s available locally.

Higher-end helmets also tend to have removable liners you can wash, which is a bonus IMO in hot, humid Taiwan.

Now move into the Arai range, and you get even better real protection (laminated composite helmets protect by delaminating in severe impacts, thus absorbing much of the blow which would otherwise be transmitted to your brain). If I ever have a really bad crash, I hope Iā€™m wearing my Arai Signet. These are also my warmest and most comfortable helmets in the colder third of the year. The padding is thick, comfy and reassuring. It also makes for the quietest ride of any of my helmets. Available locally, although you might have trouble getting a XXXL.

Whatā€™s a melon head? Long oval front to back? Best fit is an Arai Signet IMO. My XXXL Signet is the only helmet I ever got that didnā€™t need modification to accept my protruding ailen forehead. Medium oval? I hear Shoeiā€™s are good. BTW, Iā€™ve got some helmets for sale. If youā€™re in Taipei and want to try any on, or see the Caberg or some of my other hats in person youā€™re welcome to stop by ā€“ just drop me a PM.

I just got a Shoei X-11 Dovizioso for under 300USD. Fits great, light, looks cool. Theyā€™re available in HK for these prices FYI.

Just incase anyoneā€™s having a hard time finding a shop with a good selection of high end helmets(as I did), thereā€™s a great place at the corner of Keelung and Bade in the Songshan district of Taipei. I forget the name of it but the signs are obvious.

Right. Thatā€™s on the SE corner. They didnā€™t have a good selection of XL and XXL when I was there, though, and they didnā€™t have good long oval shapes either.