Buying a new computer strategy

you can always get the mac mini and dual boot it with Ubuntu linux. They released a version for the power pc chipset.

It was just yesterday TUAW (I think it was) reported someone got some linux to boot on the Intel core duo iMac. Full support is coming for all Intel Macs.

The MacBook Pro is shipping in the US. The Intel iBook and Mac Mini might come in March. The Desktop maybe during the summer. And the XServe? That’s gonna be fast.

I think it’s worth it, but XP Home is good enough for a lot of people. Here’s a good comparison:

jamesboydassociates.com/windowsXP.htm

I’m going to be heading back to Taiwan in about 2 weeks and I’m in need of a computer. I want a MacBook Pro, but I’m thinking of holding out until the 17" model is released. So, in the (painful) interim I’d ideally want to rent a computer for a few months. Does anyone know where I can rent a Windows PC, either notebook or desktop?

Anyway I got a box. I put Windows XP Home Edition and downloaded AVG. I’ll get the spyware program too. It will take awhile to get used to. Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

Just build it from pieces, best way to get a top of the line system without paying for the OS… and then life is good:-) thats how i built my last system… More recently when i bought my newest laptop i bought it from a company in america they sent it to me without any os and it rocks :slight_smile:

PS i can help with flavors of OS’es and some simple applications to tune your software and clean up your system so it runs better no matter where it was assembled;-)