Buying a new computer strategy

I just decided to start over. I don’t want to put this one together myself, so I will just spend 10K or so on a new box. I don’t need the keyboard, mouse, or monitor because I have some already. The main problem is that they all come with Chinese Windows and if I want English, they say they need to order and it will take five days. I found stores that sell English Windows. I can get XP Home edition for 3600NT.
So I will just buy the box, then buy the XP and delete all the programs they installed and put English Windows. I will try to do without Office or any antivirus program. I will get the free versions from the Web.
Windows XP Pro is about 2000NT extra. Is it worth it?
Anyway, that’s my plan. Good eh?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Why not get a Mac. Even if you spend 10 times as much money (you won’t), you’d easily get it back in the time you save and your better productivity.

Sounds good to me. That’s what I did about 3 years ago and it’s stick alive and kicking (eventually got a DVD burner, ram boost and video card).

Paying to much for new technologies is like burning money (which is something I happen to do often :blush: )

I think I paid about 9,000 for mine too, I just kept the Chinese windows.

I will look at Macs. I don’t know much about them though. This computer is just for playing with and not for productivity.

Why not just put Linux on it?

I would consider one of those mac minis if you already have the monitor, keyboard, and all that other stuff. They are designed as a “crossover” computer. I think they are down to 24 grand. Take a look, ask questions. Macs are good. They come in all the languages. They don’t crash.

Of course you could just get a box.

I have used every Windows OS since 3.1.
Each one was just a little better than the previous until Win 98 SE, it was very good.
I used ME for about 30 minutes and then deleted it out and threw the disk into the Pacific Ocean.
NT & 2000 are fine OS’s also.
In my experience so far, XP Pro SPII is an excellent OS.
Easy to use and somewhat intuitive if used correctly.
I keep it clean and secure.
I have never used XP Home so I cannot address what the difference is.
IMO, if you have the choice, might as well load up XP Pro and not wonder what you might be missing.
Linnux is worth considering - ask the Comrade.
Mac OS has its devotees, but you are asking about Windows so that probably where you are heading.
Also, keep in mind what MS will be supporting in the next few years.

Good luck. I like having boxes custom built also.

I think 24 large gets you a high end Mini too.

You do realize that means not intuitive at all, yes? XP is usable, but definitely not intuitive.

That’s actually what I would like to do, but I am very lazy.

That’s actually what I would like to do, but I am very lazy.[/quote]

It’s no problem these days…you live in TianMu, right? I could come upand help you set it up. And you can buy me a beer at the Post Home.

That’s actually what I would like to do, but I am very lazy.[/quote]

It’s no problem these days…you live in Tianmu, right? I could come upand help you set it up. And you can buy me a beer at the Post Home.[/quote]

I’d definitely take him up on that offer, Richard. First time Linux installs are not exactly intuitive.

I’ve been using Linux recently I’m quite impressed how far its come along. I use Partition Magic so I can have a different OS on each partition and switch between them. Or you can set it up manually/use shareware. That way I have XP SP2 for the regular stuff and Linux for software development and other messing about.

BTW I doubt XP Pro will give you any advantages over XP Home, you could Google a list of differences but I think its mostly network admin, etc.

Do you plan on developing web pages with ASP.NET? You need XP Pro for that. That’s about the only reason I can think of off the top of my head, but I’m sure there are others.

As for Linux, Ubuntu is a good choice, and relatively easy to install. You can partition your drive during install. Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice 2 and Firefox.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I have used every Windows OS since 3.1.
Each one was just a little better than the previous until Win 98 SE, it was very good.
I used ME for about 30 minutes and then deleted it out and threw the disk into the Pacific Ocean.
NT & 2000 are fine OS’s also.
In my experience so far, XP Pro SPII is an excellent OS.
Easy to use and somewhat intuitive if used correctly.
I keep it clean and secure.
I have never used XP Home so I cannot address what the difference is.
IMO, if you have the choice, might as well load up XP Pro and not wonder what you might be missing.
Linnux is worth considering - ask the Comrade.
Mac OS has its devotees, but you are asking about Windows so that probably where you are heading.
Also, keep in mind what MS will be supporting in the next few years.

Good luck. I like having boxes custom built also.[/quote]

I’ve also used Windows since around 3.0. And I’ve used DOS since about 3.0 too. Even Bill Gates admits Windows is hard to use. All computers are hard to use. Ever see your grandma sit down to a computer she’s never seen before in her life and just figure stuff out? Maybe in a 100 years.

There’s no way my grandma’s still going to be around in 100 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

naijeru, Gary -
Please disregard any further comments I may make regarding computer systems, their construction and/or their operation. It appears that I have been completely wrong in my computer experience.
My post was in no way to be interpreted as a claim to any computer skills beyond the most basic.

May the cyber gods, Wozniak, Jobs and the Pantheon of MicroSoft Lords be with you! :notworthy:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]naijeru, Gary -
Please disregard any further comments I may make regarding computer systems, their construction and/or their operation. It appears that I have been completely wrong in my computer experience.
My post was in no way to be interpreted as a claim to any computer skills beyond the most basic.

May the cyber gods, Wozniak, Jobs and the Pantheon of MicroSoft Lords be with you! :notworthy:[/quote]

that’s cool.

[quote=“kaniggit”]

BTW I doubt XP Pro will give you any advantages over XP Home, you could Google a list of differences but I think its mostly network admin, etc.[/quote]

Remote Desktop in XP Pro is useful. You can remotely connect with any RDP client. They exist for Mac and any unix too. Thought not too secure without something like SecurID. And the encryption protocol might not to be too great. Microsoft is a company that has once used “kindergarden encryption.”

You can do ASP on unix. Mono is an open source ASP.NET clone. Not sure how it’s progressing along. They probably could use the help if you’re into it.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]naijeru, Gary -

May the cyber gods, Wozniak, Jobs and the Pantheon of MicroSoft Lords be with you! :notworthy:[/quote]
I value your advice Cowboy. Thanks to you and everyone else. I think I’m going to mess with Linux for awhile. Then, if I don’t like it, I can always get Windows later.