Buying a Norfolk/Norwich/West Highland terrier pup

Any tips on where to buy a Norfolk, Norwich of West Highland Terrier pup in Taiwan?

Please try not to buy if possible… there are many awesome dogs in shelters in need of a home… plus you get the added bonus (and karma points) of not encouraging pet shop owners to force breed just to make a profit

5 Likes

There are many beautiful dogs in the dog pounds here who need homes. I would encourage you to go check a shelter out. They are really eye-opening.

4 Likes

You do know that there are no official, reputable, connected breeders in Taiwan? We know of one for cats. But for dogs, most papers are fake…if any at all.

Ask anyone who has paid 20k or 60k or more for their dogs, how many health issues they have. Dogs at shelters have been vaccinated and treated and received training for their behavior issues. Breeders in Taiwan will sell you pups that are too small to be separated from their mother, not socialized and not vaccinated.

I can bet we can find a dog that meets your needs at shelters. You will save money and heartbreak and will be saving a life, not adding to the stray population. For every pup sold, 20 or more have been killed or thrown out. Rescue groups regularly find litters of up to 60 dogs discarded like garbage.

Please don’t.

1 Like

I appreciate your replies but still do not know where to find a shelter in the south (Taitung/Tainan). Anyone?

There are many shelters there. Which one is closer to you, Taitung or Tainan? It is quite a distance. tell me and I´d recommend a few.

Here an example of what the shelters/animal protection groups deal with:

Mikey the Unwanted Bulldog
沒有人要的鬥牛犬Mikey

Mikey fell victim to something that happens so often here in Taiwan. He was bought as a puppy because he was a British Bulldog and they thought he was cute, but once he grew in size and with various issues that bulldogs have the owners didn’t really want to care about him anymore. He was left outside with the bare amount of food and water.

He was obviously in distress and just needed some love and attention. A kind person posted him on FB to ask for help. One of our long term volunteers who has a huge soft spot for bulldogs was notified about the dog’s need. However, she was in the UK dealing with the recent passing of her father and asked us if we could help arrange for the dog to be taken to the vet.

We contacted the rescuer and the rescuer talked to the “owner”. The “owner” was more than willing to give Mikey up and so we immediately went to pick him up.

He was taken to our vet for a full check up and unfortunately as with many pure breeds he has a lot of issues. He has heartworm due to the fact that he was left outside 24 hours a day and never received the preventative care needed. He also had ulcerations on his paws, most probably due to malnutrition, no grooming and poor living environment. On top of this he has a cherry eye and eye infections. He was not neutered and was obviously not cared for at all.

We are so very happy we were able to save Mikey from this life of Misery. His eye and feet have been operated on and he is under treatment for his heartworm.
He will need quite some time to build up his strength and also recover from his many issues. However, in a short time we have started to see his playful personality come through and the fact that he loves being with people and just wants love. Our volunteer will foster him until he can find that perfect home.

We hope our supporters can help us raise NT$47,700 for Mikey’s care and medical bills. He has been an expensive rescue but worth it. We can’t imagine how worse he would become had he been left in that situation.

We are also looking for donations of clothes that will fit a British Bulldog as winter is approaching and bulldogs are unable to regulate their heat and need added warmth during the cold months. If you would like to donate clothes for him please email liza@marysdoggies.org.

Please help us raise NT$47,700 for Mikey so we can continue to help more dogs like him. Please donate what you can and share our stories.
請各位捐款NT$47,700來支付Mikey的醫療與生活費用,讓我們能持續幫助更多像他一樣的狗狗們。請各位儘可能地捐款給我們並且分享狗狗們的故事讓更多人知道。
Donate: https://goo.gl/T4LB7W

I´d recommend Mary´s doggies as a place wher eyou can find a helathy, well cared companion: http://www.marysdoggies.org/index.php

FB

@marysdoggies

2 Likes

Tainan or Kaoshiung is the most convenient. Thanks for the info. I have heard there are shelters but simply do not know where to look.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but googling for " Tainan dog shelter " brought a few Google maps links, and this list:

At the end are 4 shelters around you. I wish you find a dog you like, I did back a few years in north Taiwan :slight_smile:

Thanks. My search engine did not come up with this one.

Glad if it helps. Keep us updated please, people her love knowing the end of stories :slight_smile: