Buying a Record Deck/Turntable?

Looking at choosing a record player … I recently retrieved some old LPs from home, though my major singles are missing (Adam Ant!)… wondering on recommendations for models/buying. Is it worth buying on Shopee or just going to Osaka to buy one instead or is there a reliable place here? We don’t have a HIFI system ATM, but with BT5, linking to PC or speakers or other output devices, … we could probably start rebuilding my collection and get one in the future.

Thanks.

1 Like

Go and have a hunt around some of the second hand shops in your area, they are always full of old HIFI equipment, just remember to replace the stylus.

2 Likes

I already have a vintage turntable but now wondering how to connect to a Bluetooth transmitter. Note the signal is much weaker than the usual “line” level used by TVs, PCs, etc. Ideas anyone?

Talk to vinyl decision. Might have a few turntables for sale.

1 Like

Through some sort of amplifier before output? Is the signal ‘clean’ or distorted?

You need a phono preamp. It’s not just the signal strength (which isn’t actually that low) but also in order to fit as much grooves into a limited disc space, bass notes are attenuated intentionally. This is so you don’t end up with tracks violating another track making it sound like a broken record.

A phono preamp undo this and restores the original sound.

Any Bluetooth transmitter will need this. Newer turntable just have it built in.

you can get the bluetooth audio transmitters that plug direct into the phono socket and use what you already have, or you can get a dedicated amplifier with bluetooth built in.

https://www.1mii.com/audio-transmitters/

I literally just did this. Go to Eslite bookstore in Taipei. There’s a guy there who speaks English. I bought the AT BT turntable for about 10k, and two wonderboom speakers and paired them.

It works great and the sound is ridiculous and portable.

1 Like