Buying a second hand car

[quote=“MJB”]These guys are talking about a 30k budget though…

Redwagon had a very good point earlier that nobody seemed to catch…That is that most locals, with a car of that low value, would most likely Bao fei it before selling something they consider to no longer have any value. Point out that you have an interest in such a vehicle, and exercise some patience, and you’ll be amazed what kind of vehicles you can find. My neighbor last year dumped off his loaded 1994 Toyota Camry (I even put it on here as it was such a great deal) single owner vehicle for 20k. In another instance (And I was too slow on this one myself) an E34 520 BMW ended up going on the blocks for 20k.

what other cars can you snag for 30k?

Ford Telstar, Ford Festiva, Nissan March, Honda Civic, Toyota Zace, VW Vento, etc…

You can buy a pretty reliable car in Taiwan now for 60k if you know what you are doing. I know a forumosan who picked up a 3.0liter Cefiro with all the trimmings for around 55k.

The used car market in Taiwan today is fuller and offers better values now than ever before.

Enjoy the search…[/quote]

Understood. I think the 30,000 is a somewhat unrealistic figure as already pointed out however, unless an owner advertising is sick of the site of their car and has decided to just see it off, in which case only Freecas and Imprezas which I have posted may just miss the mark. The lowest price range I can suggest looking in for a car is 50,000. I have seen good cars at 50,000 and have seen a few. I haven’t seen a single good vehicle for around 30,000 before though which has been seen in classifieds.
Still, no harm in just calling people up and dropping the 30,000 offer though, just to see what happens.
I also understand what Redwagon has spoken about which is why I continue posting links for more expensive cars. The other problem with a 30,000 motor is that even if they exist, they rarely make it to the classifieds. You may have to go traveling around the dealers to pick up any scraps that they don’t want to advertise for the lack of profit for such a low budget.

ahhh… it may be hyundai, but its beautiful looking :smiley:

Re budget,
I pretty much figured out the same, so we have set our budget at 50-80k, any less and you may as well pick up a free car from somewhere (more easily done than it at first seems, you wont get what you want, but in our case we just want some wheels)

Without trying to sound like a repost, what are reasonable running fees? We have a free parking space at home, so just tax, fuel and maintenance, I am currently guessing around 8-10k per month?

So on a more serious note,

1. is a hyundai just going to be a brick? (money trap or whatever your preferred expression) I’d quite like a fun car since we’re still pre-rugrats so it would only be a 2-3 year commitment before sending for scrap - but I dont want 2-3 years of being late for work and waiting for tow trucks… I would still get in touch with sulvaca and get the pre-buy checks - or is that really just gonna be an all round waste of time?

2. is an 8-10yo march (or equiv, civic…) going to be any cheaper anyway? :ohreally:

3. what’s the gig with nissan being slagged for all their cars, except the march - did they just magically pull out one great mechanically sound car and the rest are sh*te, or the others are just a march with longer bodies? ie, nissans are reliable but only a taxi driver should consider them

4. i do love the subaru impreza (friend had full rally spec version in UK and that was great fun!) though I know the ones available are more of a family car, seems like its just as much of a brick as a hyundai anyway!

5. Regarding all the above, if I end up with an 8yo car and maintenance is through the roof… would you (anyone) advise just popping down to toyota dealership and trying to get a 4yo camry or whatever with car loan?

thanks for any advice

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=201&model=107&description=Hyundai%20Coupe

so the foregoing review seems fair - says the car mechanically sounds, but obviously rides a little harsh

cramped is OK, we’re a short couple - and well, its a fun car

any other suggestions for an entry level coupe?

nissan?

http://www.ocar.com.tw/index/cardetail/id/39988

I was looking for mazda MX3s but dont seem to offer them here

[quote=“itakitez”]ahhh… it may be hyundai, but its beautiful looking :smiley:

Re budget,
I pretty much figured out the same, so we have set our budget at 50-80k, any less and you may as well pick up a free car from somewhere (more easily done than it at first seems, you wont get what you want, but in our case we just want some wheels)

Without trying to sound like a repost, what are reasonable running fees? We have a free parking space at home, so just tax, fuel and maintenance, I am currently guessing around 8-10k per month?

So on a more serious note,

1. is a hyundai just going to be a brick? (money trap or whatever your preferred expression) I’d quite like a fun car since we’re still pre-rugrats so it would only be a 2-3 year commitment before sending for scrap - but I don’t want 2-3 years of being late for work and waiting for tow trucks… I would still get in touch with sulvaca and get the pre-buy checks - or is that really just gonna be an all round waste of time?

2. is an 8-10yo march (or equiv, civic…) going to be any cheaper anyway? :ohreally:

3. what’s the gig with nissan being slagged for all their cars, except the march - did they just magically pull out one great mechanically sound car and the rest are sh*te, or the others are just a march with longer bodies? ie, nissans are reliable but only a taxi driver should consider them[/quote]

Nissans are fine, in fact any car is fine as long as you accept it for what it is. As I mentioned somewhere else Nissan has a different market tactic than Toyota but they tend to be compared with each other all the time and then the Nissan comes off worse. Its not that its a worse car though, just a different product for a differing range of expectations/requirements.
A Toyota Camry vs a Nissan Bluebird/Teana/Cefiro for example. The Toyota will be more reliable, will retain its value better and may be more desirable after a few years. The Nissan wasn’t expected to be as reliable as the Toyota, but that’s also because price for price the Nissan will usually come with a plethora of extras that the Toyota won’t come with. Its very difficult indeed to find a reasonably reliable car with as many extras and options as a Nissan without being enourmously more expensive.
The last Nissan Cefiro is one of my personal favorite used cars, but I wouldn’t recommend one to anyone else. I love them because they have heated seats, video screens, a quieter cabin than a Rolls Royce of the same age, a V6 engine, massage chairs, supple albeint squishy suspension. I like them because I can fix them myself. For me they aren’t a hastle and they’re dirt cheap to purchase and repair. I wouldn’t have purchased a new one however as they didn’t retain their value as well as a Toyota.

I purchased a new Toyota Prius two years ago and two years later it has only lost approx 20% of its value. Sure its fucking expensive in parts, but its reliable enough that it doesn’t need any. I replaced a wing mirror that was smashed off by a hit and run artist the other day and it cost a whopping 2,600nt. 4 plastic wheel caps are 8,000nt! Go figure! For the person who wants luxury in a reasonably reliable car at low, low cost then get a Cefiro.

Nissan March:
No it may not be as reliable as other, newer small hatches, but its dirt, dirt cheap to fix and all in all will work out far cheaper to run and insure than an alternative in my opinion. It is realible enough to use and not worry about though, which is the important thing. We are comparing Japanese cars remember and they tend to be more reliable than any other country’s car in the first place, so we are splitting hairs somewhat.

The Hyundai you pictured and the one linked to in a later post are two different cars. The later link was to the most recent Hyundai Coupe, so that will be a very different car. Also for more acurate ideas of reliability you may research the “JD Power Survey” available on the BBC Top Gear site. The JD survey takes into acount cars of an older age and provides owners satisfaction ratings which are more valuable than journalist’s ratings. Journalists reporting on reliability are usually way off base as they don’t actually run those cars themselves and usually only report on new vehicles.
Later Hyundais have improved in their ratings over the years and may not be as bad as they once were, but if you are going to be driving a white goods car, then you may as well have one with all the trimmings in my mind or at least the very cheapest or most reliable one and in that case, the Hyundai in my honest opinion is none of the fore mentioned and is also rather impractical, which is why its so cheap. The March is cheap becuase Nissans always drop in value quickly and besides the better March has been in production since Adam and Eve, so there are so many to choose from. The more there are, the cheaper they become.

[quote=“itakitez”]
5. Regarding all the above, if I end up with an 8yo car and maintenance is through the roof… would you (anyone) advise just popping down to toyota dealership and trying to get a 4yo camry or whatever with car loan?

thanks for any advice[/quote]

If I were just looking for a cheap beater to drive around, then I’d either go for a March or an old Toyota. I’ve found plenty of relatively low mileage albeit old Camrys, Coronas etc for around 50,000 which still have years of life in them.

As far as running costs:

1. Basic insurance perhaps around 10,000 per year.(very approximate)
  2. Tax around 20,000 (Many brackets exist however)
  3. Parking in Taipei city anywhere from 3~6 thousand per month for underground parking with a guard.

I don’t know if that helps.

Good advice from sulavaca. Only thing I’d add to that is the hint that taxes on 1.8 liter and under cars is low, and subsidized by those over 1.8 liters. If you care about the operating expenses then this is the first thing to look at. It may be that a 2.0 liter model is more fuel efficient in real use than a 1.8, but you will pay more over a year for the 2.0 model because of gas tax and license plate tax. It’s also another reason why in a poor economy the used value of a 2.4 liter or larger car will plummet after a few years (BMW and MB cars being the notable exception), and sub-1.8 models will hold their value better.

:bravo: :thumbsup: :bravo:

thankyou for the comments - really sound advice

The change in reliablity was hinted at in those reviews I linked to, thanks for the reference to JDpower

I know the brackets for tax and CO2 tax per year (very) roughly equate to (wherein the cutoff is the exact number and the next bracket starts at +1cc):

8/9000 for less than 1100
12,000 for 1101 - 1800
20,000 for 18 - 2300
50,000 for 2300+

So I was ideally looking for the 1.8, but the march is just so boring! Will look at a few Camrys before settling on anything

Im hoping I can get this sorted out before the plum rains arrive

Thanks again

to save others a googling

http://www.jdpower.com/autos

[quote=“itakitez”]
Im more concerned with being lumbered with a brick since its so easy to end up blowing the cost of a new car on repair costs, Any ideas?[/quote]

No it isn’t, not if you REALLY mean “blowing the cost of a new car on repairs”. That would be almost impossible.

If you mean “blowing the cost of a cheap car that you actually paid for on repairs”, then sure, but you might have to spend money on your cheap car too.

At the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, a major advantage of a freebie in this context is that you aren’t dealing with someone with any interest in shafting you. Quite aside from the money aspect, that’s a nicer vibe, and if it doesn’t work out you havn’t lost much.

I have to say that I have loved my old Sentra, bought new for half a million more than 10 years ago. Not ONE SINGLE problem with it in all that time. Apart from regular services, tyres, filters and suchlike, we have not spent a single penny on it, I’m not kidding. It’s no racecar and it corners like a boat, but it goes and goes and goes without complaint and in reasonable comfort.
I’m looking for a bigger vehicle now, but if I get the same level of satisfaction that I’ve got out of my monkey-shit-brown Sentra over the years I’ll be a very happy – but surprised – man indeed.

No, they sure don’t. Those old Sentras just don’t die.

Hi,

lately I’ve been checking some older Beemers and Audi’s, namely E36 325i or A4 1.8T (1994 onwards), budget being 100 - 200k NTD.
Anybody had the link to Fuel tax rates? I cannot find anything by Googling, the website structure of these different government branches is not the most navigation-friendly.

@Sulavaca, what’s your take on these kind of older German-cars? I know that E36’s can drop their rear-end if seriously giving hammer on then and A4-turbos are prone to boost-related problems.

thanks in advance,
Owerflow

You’d seriously pay 100-200k for a 15-year-old car? Tell me what you want, I’ll buy one for 40k and sell to you for 150k!
Last BMW I looked at was a 10-year-old Series 5 in lovely condition and I’d have got it for around 60. I thought it was too much, though.

Hi Sandman,

if you can point me to a shop/person who can sell 1999 5-series (any engine) in that money I’d be interested, due to price seems to be seriously (unbelievably) low. Unless it’s fished from the Keelong river.

Well, it was a one-off from a private seller. Point is, I can’t think of hardly ANY cars of that age that would be worth 200k, unless you’re getting right up there into the luxury marques – and a 2.5 litre 5-series is just an executive-level car, right? Not a luxury car. Oh HELL yeah, you’ll find dealers aplenty who’ll charge that kind of money, but that’s a different thing altogether. I wouldn’t buy ANY car of that age from a Taiwanese dealer unless he was selling for under 20k and throwing in three packets of binlang.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“itakitez”]
Im more concerned with being lumbered with a brick since its so easy to end up blowing the cost of a new car on repair costs, Any ideas?[/quote]

No it isn’t, not if you REALLY mean “blowing the cost of a new car on repairs”. That would be almost impossible.

If you mean “blowing the cost of a cheap car that you actually paid for on repairs”, then sure, but you might have to spend money on your cheap car too.

[/quote]

ya my bad - I meant to say something like

If I have this car for 3 years, and I end up paying 8000 a month in repairs and have to scrap the thing, then I would be just as well to buy a new car since a new yarris, which my wife loves and we were quoted as:

80,000 downpayment (after gov stimulus payment of 30,000 is removed)
48months 0% interest @ 10200 = 489000

if you want a beamer for chheap there are two ways (my neighbor just picked up a 20 year old coupe for 100000)

1. drive around the 2nd hand dealerships, loads around hongshulin-sanzi road and also near banqiao river (near the end of the cycle path that links banciao to zhong/yonghe) also yonghe has a bunch

2. hit ocar or yahoo knowledge hard

but budget in for new tires immediately - not cheap on them luxurarary cars

[quote=“itakitez”][quote=“Ducked”][quote=“itakitez”]

[/quote]

ya my bad - I meant to say something like

If I have this car for 3 years, and I end up paying 8000 a month in repairs and have to scrap the thing, then I would be just as well to buy a new car since a new yarris, which my wife loves and we were quoted as:

80,000 downpayment (after gov stimulus payment of 30,000 is removed)
48months 0% interest @ 10200 = 489000[/quote]

I think you’d be VERY unlucky to have to spend 8k a month over three years, given that with a freebie you can check it out/get it checked out pretty thoroughly before you commit to spending anything.

In the recent Little Yellow Truck thread, a complete engine rebuild (surely about the worst/most expensive thing you can be lumbered with) was quoted at 30k. That’s probably a guanxi price, but it gives some idea of the likely upper limit of your expenses.

If you want to limit your exposure, you could restrict yourself to maintainable Japanese/Taiwanese stuff like Nissans and avoid exotic imports like BMW’s (and pretty much anything made by Ford, of course)

Anybody knows if that repair thingy is really so expensive for BMWs in Taiwan. 'Cause a local guy I know drove a new 7-series model and complained about huge garage and parts cost, which made him change to Audi.

I would love to get back to my school days and having an old BMW 5 for fun or so… :blush:

[don’t tell anyone about it, kind of embarrassing]

[quote=“Ducked”]
In the recent Little Yellow Truck thread, a complete engine rebuild (surely about the worst/most expensive thing you can be lumbered with) was quoted at 30k. That’s probably a guanxi price, but it gives some idea of the likely upper limit of your expenses.

If you want to limit your exposure, you could restrict yourself to maintainable Japanese/Taiwanese stuff like Nissans and avoid exotic imports like BMW’s (and pretty much anything made by Ford, of course)[/quote]

thanks for “rough expenses” - gives me more confidence about going second hand, also garage is willing to thrw in 12 months “warranty”, just have to be careful on what is, and is not, covered

never had the chance to own a beemer, so this is my last chance for a little fun (with a car) unless I win the lotto or someone offers me triple my salary… any takers?

[quote=“bob_honest”]I would love to get back to my school days and having an old BMW 5 for fun or so… :blush:

[don’t tell anyone about it, kind of embarrassing][/quote]

why? it’s perfectly normal to have a old toy like that…If I have extra parking space (we already have two cars), I’d get an old BMW 3-series E30 or old Merc W123, restore it and put a big rims on it… :smiley: