Buying a second hand car

Hey, can I ask a question here? Sulavaca seems well inforomed and a mine of knowledge:

I am interested in an Isuzu Rodeo. I know these beasts are guzzlers, and the and tax 3.2? V6 aint going to be cheap, but I am looking for something that can take me off the beaten track, and provide accommodation in the back. Checking Ocar and other sites, they are fairly expensive - between 100 - 200k, but for a while now I am eyeing this one parked next to the road with a red paper on the window, advertising it for 60k for a 1997.

I also noticed it doenst have any plates. What should I look out for when taking a look at the car? Should I pay any back taxes if the car was not registered for a couple of years?

Thanks for the advice !

I can honestly say that Isuzu is the only Japanese manufacturer that I pretty much hate. I worked on those things for over seven years and compared to Toyota and Mitsubishi I thought they were shit. They spent almost no time designing a technician friendly vehicle and we used to have many more problems with them than other more reliable Japanese brands.
Electrics are generally fine aside from fuel guages, but the engines and their mirriad of oil leaks, transmissions, hubs, brakes, radiators and so on often suffered problems and were difficult to repair as they were rarely easy to get to.
For a fun offroader that offers less comfort on road I would go for a cheap as chips Suzuki Vitara/Escudo (in Taiwan). It won’t offer much at all in terms of load space however.

The Escudos also have their problems and may even be considered less reliable as the Rodeo, but they are far easier to fix, have far cheaper parts and won’t cause half as much swearing. Don’t think about driving them on road however as they are quite crap and guzzle fuel too.
I also don’t recommend changing to larger wheels on wither of the fore mentioned as the steering boxes may both suffer as well as the power steering and certainly handling.
Oh, and if you lose your Escudo keys, then you can open the central locking with a philips screwdriver by removing the right rear light cluster and shorting random terminals until you pop the doors. I found that out by accident.

I still reckon these things shouldn’t be for sale without a good reason for purchase. If you are often requiring the use of one for sports or farming then so be it, but they are crap for anything else.

MJB (moderator of this forum) seems to love his Rodeo and knows all about them. Send him a PM, lumka1.

thanks for the honest opinions!

[quote=“sulavaca”]I can honestly say that Isuzu is the only Japanese manufacturer that I pretty much hate. I worked on those things for over seven years and compared to Toyota and Mitsubishi I thought they were shit. They spent almost no time designing a technician friendly vehicle and we used to have many more problems with them than other more reliable Japanese brands.
Electrics are generally fine aside from fuel guages, but the engines and their mirriad of oil leaks, transmissions, hubs, brakes, radiators and so on often suffered problems and were difficult to repair as they were rarely easy to get to.
For a fun offroader that offers less comfort on road I would go for a cheap as chips Suzuki Vitara/Escudo (in Taiwan). It won’t offer much at all in terms of load space however.

The Escudos also have their problems and may even be considered less reliable as the Rodeo, but they are far easier to fix, have far cheaper parts and won’t cause half as much swearing. Don’t think about driving them on road however as they are quite crap and guzzle fuel too.
I also don’t recommend changing to larger wheels on wither of the fore mentioned as the steering boxes may both suffer as well as the power steering and certainly handling.
Oh, and if you lose your Escudo keys, then you can open the central locking with a philips screwdriver by removing the right rear light cluster and shorting random terminals until you pop the doors. I found that out by accident.

I still reckon these things shouldn’t be for sale without a good reason for purchase. If you are often requiring the use of one for sports or farming then so be it, but they are crap for anything else.[/quote]

I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum here…I had a the four door Suzuki 10 years ago, and hated the thing so thoroughly (gutless, crap aluminum shortblock, electronic issues, kangaroo ride, pissy a/c) I sold it out of disgust and bought the Rodeo.

Driving a Rodeo in Taiwan though is an entirely pointless exercise without some excuse to actually use it for what it’s designed for. A soccer mom SUV it is not.

The good:

Solid ride:
Brilliantly comfortable high quality leather interior
190HP V6 with a nice torque range
Tons of rear storage…60/40 split rear seat that is more comfortable than a BMW’s. No joke.
Cruise control
Very tough components, well guarded underbelly for offroading
Dana 44 rear axle
5000pd towing capacity
Swing out rear gate with pickup style tailgate which will hold 500pds (two fat dudes with scuba gear) or tailgate party’s on the beach
Freeway ride for long road trips is fantastic (5 big dudes and gear is a cakewalk)
“real” offroad capability

Can sleep in back if under 180cm tall with seats folded down.

Non interference timing belt

As all the imported Rodeo’s here are made in the US, the vin numbers are on the dash, making an engine swap much easier in the event it’s required

The average 3.2L V6 Isuzu engine, despite the valve ticking easily will clock over 320,000km before giving up the ghost. I’m just under 200,000km now.

In an accident, unless your opponent is a bus, gravel truck or 747…I got rear ended at a traffic light by a woman in a mazda 323. She hit me at 40kph without hitting the brakes. She bounced off my spare tire carrier, and her car was totaled. I spent 2,000NT to bend my rear bumper back into place.

If you are an outdoor type, enjoy driving something different and don’t mind the exorbitant fuel tax and mileage, then the Rodeo is perhaps the best deal for a true truck framed SUV in Taiwan.

So, why are they so cheap?

The bad:

You’ll get around 6-6.5km per liter…And less if you put your foot into it, which will be tempting when having to pass that pissant, gutless prius in front of you.

The taxes will cost your 38k per year.

The automatic transmission is a bit weak (see GM430E) and can be a very expensive repair. Don’t ask me how I know that. (freaking General motors…Ironically the Manual transmission for the Rodeo is considered one of the most bulletproof ever made)

The infamous Isuzu hydraulic lifter tick (first generation 3.2l engines which is what you are looking at)

The timing belt tensioning pulley, when it goes out sounds so much like a rod knock that people in the US have actually junked the vehicle base on faulty mechanics advice that didn’t know the vehicle well enough. Most mechanics don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground about Isuzu.

Driveshaft carrier bearings (exacerbated greatly if lifted). This bearing on the 2pc driveshaft (another brilliant contribution by GM) tends to wear out, and at 8,000NT a pop are rather annoying to fix. There is a way around this problem though, and a one off modification will fix this permanently.

Power steering pump: they leak…add fluid and forget about it. They never break.

Your friends will ALWAYS make you drive…and when it comes moving time? Turn off your cell phone.

The vehicle once these items are worked out is turn the key and go reliable. I had to go through the whole menagerie of Isuzu problems to get mine to where it is now. For me it was a labor of love though, as a car junkie/camping/scubadiver this vehicle is a perfect fit for what I do.

Parts for the Rodeo, despite earlier claims here to the contrary, are quite cheap and still readily available.

Mine is a 94, and at 15 years old has fewer rattles and squeaks than most cars half it’s age.

I lifted mine back in 2005, and took this photo right after bringing it home. Not bad for an 11 year old car:

The reason that they are cheap is simple: High fuel tax, shitty mileage or a transmission problem. Stay away from any Rodeo that is even remotely finicky when shifting gears, or take it to a competent mechanic first. Most Rodeo’s that are in the boneyards in Taiwan are the victims of blown GM trannies.

If you are serious about a Rodeo…Send me a PM:

two opposite sides of the rodeo coin… so it boils down to how much i am willing to pay for maintaining an outdoor lifestyle…

thanks for the input, guys, i would go and take it for a test, and post or PM upcoming questions. What about a car without plates? Should i prepare to pay back taxes if the car was not in the system?

[quote=“lumka1”]two opposite sides of the rodeo coin… so it boils down to how much I am willing to pay for maintaining an outdoor lifestyle…

thanks for the input, guys, I would go and take it for a test, and post or PM upcoming questions. What about a car without plates? Should i prepare to pay back taxes if the car was not in the system?[/quote]

My thoughts on this are simple…If he’s too cheap to maintain the plates, then run a mile. And no, he’s responsible for bringing the plate back up to this current year…You are only responsible for tax that you accrue…So for example if you were to buy a Rodeo now, you’d be responsible for the remainder of 09 which he would have already paid. So, on top of the 60k you’d have to shell out another 20k or thereabouts. Look at 80k to get this vehicle on the road.

There are lots of Rodeos out there for sale…So don’t be sold on the first one you see. In fact, you are welcome to take mine for a test drive so you can use it as a tool to compare.

Just let me know…

[quote=“StreetSpec”][quote=“bob_honest”]I would love to get back to my school days and having an old BMW 5 for fun or so… :blush:

[don’t tell anyone about it, kind of embarrassing][/quote]

why? it’s perfectly normal to have a old toy like that…If I have extra parking space (we already have two cars), I’d get an old BMW 3-series E30 or old Merc W123, restore it and put a big rims on it… :smiley:[/quote]

I drove E30 (3 series) and E12 (5 series of the late 70s and 80s) back in the days. Damned, feeling old now :smiley:

Oh I remember back in my student days, almost sending an American Pontiac flat sport thingy off the road when he raced against my 318i on a mountain motorway. The bumps of the old highway where no problem to my suspension, but they certainly were to the Pontiac and almost sent it off the road. He braked hard at 130, I kept going til 160 km/h. That was when I saw the 100km/h limit signs…

Was an American soldier. Somehow didn’t seem right to defeat him on one of HITLER’s old highways***… :aiyo: :doh:

*** really, they consist out of old platforms stacked next to each other, that’s why the bumps are there

Well I would have hoped that a standard Rodeo 3.2 liter V6 new, without larger tyres and a raised suspension would provide a little better than a 0~60 of 10.5 seconds which is also exactly the same time as a 1.5 liter four cylinder Prius, but let’s not split hairs. It’s nothing personal you know :aiyo:

Agreed about the handling being better than the Escudo on the road, but It really is like comparing a drunken bull to a doped steer when it comes to handling performance between the two.
I’d keep the performance evaluations to what they are both like off road, disregarding the important loading capacity of course for the obvious road trips and such as that’s a no contest.
The Isuzu has a sure footing on the dry dirt and good performance on wet turf. Snow, not that there will be any on many Taiwan courses will favor the Suzuki with standard tyres on both vehicles from my experience. The lightness of the Suzuki tells in the suspension bounce, but the advantage is more nimble reactions in tricky terrain with slightly less bother to haul when getting stuck. As far as I know the Escudo didn’t come with a standard LSD though, whereas the Isuzu did. They can be purchased as after market though and so can the important underside skidpans/belly plates, which are of course a must for any standard 4x4 that don’t usually come with enough protection to keep the weight down.

Don’t anyone get the wrong idea about these cars, they are not safe! The very latest Rodeo is poor to say the least at protection in crash tests and the old Escudo may not be much better.

The reference to the impact involving a car from behind into the rear of MJBs Rodeo may be accurate, but it only concludes that most cars perform better in a rear end collision as opposed to a frontal. The rear is a often a virtuall cocoon structure whereas the front has to hold the engine/transmission and so is designed around its components as well as to offer a low bonnet/hood to increase the driver’s vision and reduce wind resistance. The front of a modern car is also designed to fail under impact and will usually appear worse off than an older car which was probably designed to resist impact. Resisting impact was less effective as the load was transferred to the occupants more than transmitted around them as with a more modern design.
It is merely the manner in which a car fails, or doesn’t fail that is important, not the condition of the car nor the aesthetics after an incident, but the condition of the occupants.

Well I would have hoped that a standard Rodeo 3.2 liter V6 new, without larger tyres and a raised suspension would provide a little better than a 0~60 of 10.5 seconds which is also exactly the same time as a 1.5 liter four cylinder Prius, but let’s not split hairs. It’s nothing personal you know :aiyo:[/quote]

Ok, fair enough…But I don’t think you’d want to race me up the hill to Linkou for pinks (would you :whistle: ). There’s also what, about a 600kg difference in weight? Could we do it from 0-30 instead?

I thought I was pretty objective in giving the poster both sides of the argument…and one thing cannot be denied. If you are looking for this genre of vehicle anyway, the Rodeo is the best deal out there; providing you find one that has been decently maintained. The only others things out there to compare it to would be an older Jeep Cherokee (and how many of their rusted unibody’s are still on the road here), a Infinity QX4 (more expensive, even worse mileage, reduced offroad capacity) and finally the Mitsubishi Challenger, which is easily the most overpriced/underperforming SUV still for sale in Taiwan. You could pick up a used disco, but they aren’t cheap either and parts? OMG.

Forget the Ocar listings…If you know someone you can readily pick up a Rodeo for 60k or even less. Anything older than 93 avoid though…the 3.1Liter GM motor that was stock in the 91-92 models only puts out 120bhp. You lose 70 horsepower and still have to pay a fortune to run it. 94-97 are considered the best years for reliability.

LOL :laughing: I don’t think my wife would be happy if I came home with no car. I have no idea what would happen though. I admit my car is gutless from 0~30, but very good from 30~50 and especially uphill. It is 115ps output which gives it a power to weight ratio exactly the same as a 2.0 liter Camry. Not that they will perform the same. Mine is set up for fuel economy.

[quote=“MJB”]I thought I was pretty objective in giving the poster both sides of the argument…and one thing cannot be denied. If you are looking for this genre of vehicle anyway, the Rodeo is the best deal out there; providing you find one that has been decently maintained. The only others things out there to compare it to would be an older Jeep Cherokee (and how many of their rusted unibody’s are still on the road here), a Infinity QX4 (more expensive, even worse mileage, reduced offroad capacity) and finally the Mitsubishi Challenger, which is easily the most overpriced/underperforming SUV still for sale in Taiwan. You could pick up a used disco, but they aren’t cheap either and parts? OMG.

Forget the Ocar listings…If you know someone you can readily pick up a Rodeo for 60k or even less. [/quote]

You do a good job of summarizing both vehicles as a driver and owner. You have the viewpoint of a frequent user whereas I have the viewpoint of a technician and occasional driver and tester. I can’t say either of us is more accurate but I believe both our opinions are probably valuable to an interested party.

I don’t know what the dealer price for a Rodeo is. I do know that an Infinity QX fetches no more than 50,000 from a dealer and that’s in top nick. Most expect to have it on a four court for up to two years so the markup can be fairly high to cover storage costs.

Don’t get me started on Jeep. I would strip naked and rub myself up and down an Isuzu before I would get into one of those things. They may work well when they work, but I haven’t known that to happen too often.

I did not mean for any cause to split hairs… but i appreciate the two opposing opinions. On the one side is a cool looking behemoth, decent off road abilities on steep climbs, rocks and mud [for the rare occasion to do that] and on the other hand a lighter grasshopper, with decent off road abilities on snow and sand [for the rare occasion to do that]

I used to have the Isuzu in South Africa, with a 2.8 diesel turbo in a double cab. Apart from the turbo giving problems, basic built quality and ride comfort was acceptable, but if I remember correctly, they were assembled and built in SA, so i guess there might be some differences to the US built Rodeo.

Upon doing some research, I see that the Rodeo performs poorly in crash tests, and the Suzuki not much better. But, if in the unfortunate event of an accident, i think the Rodeo [with bigger mass] (as well as it’s occupants) would fair okay against a smaller lighter vehicle. But if you compare a collision between two SUV’s, the Rodeo might not be the best choice, since it doesnt have airbags and descent crumpling zones. That’s what I can gather, anyways.

I need to decide whether the high cost of ownership [fuel consumption and high taxes, excluding repairs] is worth it. As to my personal taste, and for the purpose of buying an SUV, I will exclude the Escudo/Vitara/Jimny from this equation. I agree that Disco’s and Infinities are not worth it, so i have to compare the Rodeo to a Cherokee…

My original plan was to sell of my Civic for the Rodeo, but the high consumption would not make the Rodeo an ideal every day runner. But keeping both cars will cost a fortune on taxes…posting.php?mode=reply&f=75&t=78010# Ahh, the questions of life…

What about a Freeca? Putting the ridiculous name aside, do they come with 4X2 abilities, such as a limited slip diff?

Freeca has no LSD as far as I know. I wouldn’t want to take one on anything more than loose gravel anyway, it doesn’t have the setup.
As I’ve said in past articles and such, buy a car for the 90% of its desired usage and rent one the rest of the time. You’ll be much happier this way than suffering a car’s misgivings for the majority of the time. Join a 4WD club and get a feel for other people’s vehicles, and gain some knowledge on where you might like to go rolling around the most and whether they have vehicles for rent there. As I recall using someone else’s vehicle for offroading and then driving your own home is much more pleasurable, unless you are into converting and servicing your own pride and joy.

Thats a good point there - we sometimes overlook the obvious in the race to have the best of both worlds…

Here’s another option for you:
Mitsubishi Challenger
and another
and another one

Quite expensive though in my opinion considering the mileage, especially the first one. I wonder if they come with a free bag of glue to sniff. Anyway, I still have my thinking hat on for you.

Sula, what think ye of the Pajero or preferably that Toyota one, the Rav4? I have lines on both of those for what seem to be reasonable prices. Never really thought about a Pajero but I’ve fancied that Rav4 for a while. Not needing it for anything other than a semi-big car that’s not a Nissan Xtrail or an Explorer.
Are Rav4s worth considering? I think a Pajero is a bit bigger than I really need. Plus, Mitsubishis have never stirred my loins.

Well with a Pajero you won’t be picking up any Spanish chicks, or indeed have any Spanish friends but I would imagine you’d have a fairly capable 4x4 with reasonable on road performance. You can always brag that Pininfarina designed the look of it too, but then Pininfarina also did the Hyundai Matrix :doh:

A Rav4 I would go for as its the nippiest little suv for round town. It handles closer to a car than a 4 wheel drive but don’t expect it to travel the bumpy stuff without some serious modification. The Rav4 was known for its good quality, good 0~60 time and its strong resale prices, a strong competitor to the Honda CRV. The latest Rav4 is now out of course, but I haven’t had chance to drive one. Certainly streets better than an Escape or Xtrail in my opinion and not as thirsty either although hardly a skimper.

Does that stir your loins Sir?

The one thing I will say about four wheel drives though is that the re sale values are higher over two wheel drives because they offer more equipment and the new car prices reflected that, but a used four wheel drive can suffer a lot more wear and tear than a two wheel drive. Firstly the engine has to cope with pulling a lot more weight and often up and down steeper terrain. Some four wheel drives may even be driven off road which then offers the engine and transmission even more to deal with as well as dust and dirt to grind between moving components. The underbellies can receive knocks, the brakes many more difficult elements to deal with, the suspension even more of a demand and the list goes on. Simply put four wheel drives should be depreciating faster than any other car, but they generally don’t. This makes getting value for money a difficult thing to obtain in the used four wheel drive market.
Of course the RAV4s, CRVs of the group shouldn’t ever see splashes of mud on their paintwork, but certainly some of the more serious off road contenders may and so should hold large “Caution” signs up high for all used car buyers to see.

Yeah, I saw one of the new RAVs yesterday. All black, quite sexy. A lot sleeker and less boxy-looking than the older models. I 'aint needing offroad capability at all, just interior space, really. Why are there so few on the roads compared to CRVs? Are they a lot more expensive or something?

The RAV4 were less available and the CRV is famous for having the most rigid, least depreciating value of almost all cars. The new RAV4 has only been out about 6 months, the new CRV a year or so.
Edit: The CRV also offers better use of interior space.