Buying a used SUV

Thanks for the info MJB, it was educational. I’m surprised that lockers are useless on snow and ice, but I’ll take your word for it. I’m kind of interested in getting a 4WD when I’m back in the Old Country where there’s a lot of snow. One thing I noticed about the USA is that you can’t buy a 4WD with a small engine - everything is big gas guzzlers. Wish they sold the Jimny in the States, but from what I can find on the Internet it’s just not available. There are now some hybrid SUVs - not sure just how good (or expensive) those are. Haven’t seen a turbo-diesel SUV yet, something I would be interested in.

regards,
DB

DB, it depends alot on what you want from and to do with your 4X4. Selectable lockers are good in some snow conditions and not in others. Also the new computer controlled 4X4 SUVs are a good bet if you just want better traction and not true off road ability(except for the Toyota 4runner). The larger engines actually are better than the small ones. For a lot of miles they actually get better gas mileage. The smaller engines are continually reving high and thus use more gas. The lower the revs and the less the engine is actually working the less it will use, on a general basis. an example of this is my Toyota Surf. It gets very similar mileage as MJB’s Isuzu but it has a smaller engine. Do not be fooled by the uneducated environmentalists who just make generalized statements about things.

The size of your 4X also is a thing you might want to think about. Do you want a long wheelbase(smoother ride and better climb angles) or a shorter wheelbase(rougher ride and handling but can probably go more places). The versatility of a 4X4 and what you want to do with it should be what you govern your decisions on. Not just what looks better or whatever. Decide what you want to do with it and where, then start looking along those lines. There are too many out there to just start listing.

You also have to think about axle size and strength when putting on lockers. Tire size also influences all things as well. The bigger the tire the stronger the axles have to be. Add lockers to that and big stress.

I also agree with MJB on the 2X to 4X convert. WAY TOO PRICEY! Really not worth it either. Buy a used 4X and fix it up the way you want. Just had a thought. If you want affordability, smaller engine but not too small, very versatile, and a very capable 4X4 then go the Nissan Xterra.

Another SUV pisstake.