Buying laptop memory

I have been looking at the 1GB memory thingies for my laptop, since it currently runs on a paltry 512 MB. Not really sure what kinds of things I should be looking for, but apparently my laptop only likes DDR2 modules.

My current specs:
Dell Latitude D620
Intel Core2Duo
981 Mhz, 512 MB RAM (boo)

And I read in some reviews that Intel Core2Duo runs best with PC2 4200 speed memory cards. Ok.

Lastly, what kind of store could I browse laptop memory in? Or should I just buy online? NewEgg.com doesn’t ship internationally, and I’m not sure I can trust some wholesale company to not ship me China-produced memory with defective pins or mercury-laced somethings.

I would take the Laptop to the computer store next to Taipei main station, planty of comparison, they can put it directly in and you see if it runs or not.

Download CPU-Z from here cpuid.com/

Run the program after you unzip it. You can see what kind of memory you are using now including size and speed. If your computer runs ok with the kind of memory you are using now all you need to do is stick in a bigger stick of the same speed. If you want to upgrade the speed of the memory as well you need to reference the laptop specs.

Looking at your laptop specs I believe you need DDR2 PC5300 667MHz, just let them know this and they should find memory for you. Not sure what they have here in terms of brands but I would try to stay away from the cheapest ones since they can crap out more easily. If you can find Samsung or Crucial they are good. Kingston is not bad as well.

I’m actually looking to upgrade as well if you find a good store let me know. :slight_smile:

What is the store near Taipei main called?

Core2Duo (btw… doubt it’s 981mhz, that’s just Windows reading the speed when it’s idling or throttled down)

Core2Duo’s start from 1.6Ghz if I’m not mistaken.

They can use 566 or 667mhz DDR2 RAM.
They’re fairly similar in terms of performance as 566 has faster timings, but 667 has faster clock speed.

Difference in price is negligible, so I’d say go with the 667 as it won’t matter what you have now it will scale accordingly if you currently only have a 566mhz stick of RAM. The 667 will clock itself at 566 to match.

Brands to go for, any name brand should do fine. Transcend, Kingston, Kingmax, Apacer for avg priced ones. Crucial or Corsair for Mercedes prices. Just make sure it comes with lifetime warranty which is the norm now.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the advice!

frokky: yes indeed, the 981Mhz should be 1.66Ghz. Whoops!

cire1184: I ran the program and my memory only runs on 333Mhz speed. But it should be alright if i buy a 667Mhz one, right? Or should I just replace the current one?

mingshah: yes, where is this computer store? I’d love to check it out! And do they speak English? I might be able to speak conversational Chinese, but I have absolutely zero technical vocab.

[quote=“somimi”]Thanks for all the advice!

frokky: yes indeed, the 981Mhz should be 1.66Ghz. Whoops!

cire1184: I ran the program and my memory only runs on 333Mhz speed. But it should be alright if i buy a 667Mhz one, right? Or should I just replace the current one?

mingshah: yes, where is this computer store? I’d love to check it out! And do they speak English? I might be able to speak conversational Chinese, but I have absolutely zero technical vocab.[/quote]

Where did you check the speed? You should check the SPD tab on CPUZ and then check the Max Bandwidth section. Should be a entry that says PC2-3200 or something like that. Yours should be PC2-5300 I think…

If you are going to get some memory soon I could go with you as I do speak some Mandarin in my ABC ways but you should be able to say that you are getting memory for your notebook and tell them that its DDR2 PC3200 or whatever yours is.

“PC2-5300 (333Mhz)”, in the Max Bandwidth section under the SPD tab. Manufacturer is Hyundai Electronics.

And I’m an ABC too, but I feel like I would just blank out inside a computer store.

“Um…我需要…um…我電腦的…的…卡?”

Haha.

NOVA. There is also K-Mall near it (right opposite across Zhongxiao Rd.).

[quote=“somimi”]“PC2-5300 (333Mhz)”, in the Max Bandwidth section under the SPD tab. Manufacturer is Hyundai Electronics.

And I’m an ABC too, but I feel like I would just blank out inside a computer store.

“Um…我需要…um…我電腦的…的…卡?”

Haha.[/quote]

Computer place should know when you say you need laptop memory in english. 手提電腦 and say memory haha.

Yep… PC-5300 is 667mhz.

Most shop attendants should understand you if you went in and said … .“Notebook, Memory, PC-5300… 1gig, Transcend”

I think I will take a look around Nova today… maybe over to Zhongxiao Xinsheng…

edit - went to NOVA today and got the memory 1gig of Kingston DDR2 667 memory. 1500nt not bad… I compared to some US websites I usually buy from and found it to be a bit cheaper. Probably going to get a hdd in a few weeks there too.

Thanks for the tip on NOVA