Buying NYSE ETFs in Taiwan

Is it possible to buy ETFs that are traded on the NYSE, here in Taiwan? I’d like to try and invest a little and this is all new to me, but when it comes to management I wonder if it’s better to just open an online account via my US bank and trade there.

(ETF online in US - Scottrade, Etrade, etc)
Pros

• Easy to trade
  • Fees seem okay
  • Can also do other trading online (stocks, funds, bonds, etc)

Cons

• Need to transfer to US acct (fee)
  • Can’t bring back money to Taiwan w/o paying another transaction fee
  • Tax issue and IRS document logistics for tax

(NYSE ETF in Taiwan)
Pros

• Can keep everything in NT
  • Easy access
  • Tax issue is simpler

Cons

• Call/visit TW bank to make trades
  • If the TW bank is trading on the NYSE, then there’ll be a TW-to-US management fee anyway?

Not sure how much of this info is accurate, just some research I’ve been gathering. I’ve got a fairly okay grasp of index funds, but it’s the management side of it that I’m curious about. I don’t plan to trade everyday and just want to do some startup investing to put away and let it sit.

Some TW friends in the finance industry let me know that there are also ETFs traded in Taiwan, but since that info will be mostly in Chinese, I’d rather stick to the NYSE ETFs like iShares, ProShares MSCI because then I can follow it easier. Or maybe these are also available in TW, I’m not really sure.

Can you do it through a HK broker?

I didn’t think of that, but I think it’s probably an option. Never worked with the financial folks in HK before so as far as administrative things go, I wonder how it compares to trading online in the States? Maybe the tax issue is an added benefit. I don’t think I’d like the IRS to see that I’m funneling money (not a huge amount) to an account in the States without me claiming that much income.

I don’t mean to discourage you from looking into it as it has been a couple of years since I have done so myself, but I’m pretty sure you will be better off cost-wise if you buy ETFs traded in US exchanges through a US brokerage. The fees that will be charged on ETF transactions in Taiwan and HK will be a bit high compared to what you would pay through a discount brokerage in the US, and the expense ratios on each fund are much higher than what you would pay on the same or similar ETF in the US.

Are you a US citizen? If so, you are going to be required to report these holdings no matter where you own them. Lack of a tax treaty with the US is not going to provide you with good protection over the long term as 1.) the IRS still has a lot of direct leverage on non-US-based financial institutions to cough up account details; and 2.) there is a fair chance that whereever you live will eventually have a tax treaty with the US and your accounts could be checked. Reporting would be easier with foreign held ETFs than foreign mutual funds (the latter is such a pain in the ass that it is not worth doing at all), but if you are a US citizen or permanent resident anyway, then why not just buy and keep in the US? That question is made with the assumption that you are buying for retirement savings and won’t be touching these shares for a number of years.

Are you married to a non-US citizen/permanent resident? If so, you might consider buying ETFs under your spouse’s name. There are two benefits to doing it this way. First, your spouse will never pay US taxes on cap gains and dividends so long as s/he remains a non-citizen/permanent resident. The second benefit is that you won’t have to worry about US estate taxes if you kick the bucket first. Current US law does not allow non-US citizens to inherit their spouse’s estate tax-free. This means that a non-citizen spouse could end up paying up to 30% tax on his or her life savings to a government that won’t even give them whatever Social Security benefits that their US citizen spouse may have accrued.

I would skip the Taiwan ETF’s altogether. There just isn’t enough turnover. The expense ratios will likely be high and the the trading market is probably not very cost-efficient. For ETF’s, it is really best to stick to the big ones like iShares, State Street or Vanguard.

If you do go the HK route, skip the banks and go straight to the brokerages. Both will be expensive relative to the US, but the banks are especially so. I’m pretty sure that all of them will broker transactions for iShares. Please do tell us what you find out.

I would like to revive this thread…

I want to buy etfs through my taiwan bank for myself (private - EU citizen) and also for my taiwanese company.
I looked through a couple of taiwanese websites about available etfs.
The Bank clerk wants to convince me, to just by the “Taiwan Top 50”, but I rather have a more diversified global index fund.

As far as I know msci world, or ftse all world isn’t available in taiwan.
The best I could find would be an S&P 500
one denoted in NTD (by yuanta bank, which is actually also my companies bank)

and one in HK$:

Seems like transaction costs are very low: only 0,1425%
And the TER (total expense ratio) of this fund seems also acceptable with 0,45%

The bank account is for free, and (if I understand it correctly) the bank doesn’t have any management fee.

One thing I’m not sure is how the capitals gains is calculated.

I guess for business it would be 10% and for personal income capital gains is 0?

Do I also need to take other things into account or have some input on this stuff?

Thank you!

2 Likes

I would like to revive this topic, because I still haven’t found a good way how to invest.

So I compared the yuanta sp500 etf with a European ishares sp500. All converted to euro the taiwanese yuanta has about 10% less performace each 5 years.
This can’t just be the higher etf fees in Taiwan, maybe they also calculate some tax directly into the etf stock price?