Buying property in Taoyuan/Hsinchu as a foreigner

BULL SHIT. Properties regularly go for less than 10 mil

1 Like

That’s a nice area. It’s where I first rented when I came to Taiwan in 2002 (and before we bought in Taipei Zoo area–wish we held onto that one). Question though—I always got the vibe that despite the million dollar views of the water, the proximity to the Bali cemetery made the area less than desirable for locals. Is that true?

So what tradeoff are you accepting? I pass by those stores all the time where they advertise properties, and almost nothing is below 10 million.

Is it small? rooftop apartment, apartment with illegal additions (meaning half the areas you are buying is in fact illegal), “haunted house” (means a house where a previous owner suffered an unnatural demise), or fapai (houses foreclosed due to nonpayment of mortgages)?

I’m not sure. I’m on the Danshui side.

My only tradeoff is that I face the mountain. It’s not the million dollar view, but it’s an OK view nonetheless.

Nothing. It’s a bog standard flat. OF COURSE they advertise the expensive ones first! They’re not only sponsored to get on the glass, but they pay higher commissions!

You gotta look and go shopping and understand your needs and the market conditions!

No. 26 Pings total give or take. Two bedrooms, kitchenette, washroom, living room, balcony, a place I call the dining room.

Nope, my storey is in the 20s.

Why are you talking to me as if I just got off the boat?

Nope. Banks won’t give mortgages.

@Taiwan_Luthiers We’re not dumb. You don’t need to explain every term to people who have lived here for decades as if we just got off the boat as fresh faced 20 year olds.

Nope. Banks don’t give mortgages for those houses.

Again. You know I have lived here for years.

3 Likes

I just looked on 591.

The properties in the price range you paid averages about 12 ping.

You got a killer deal.

It’s quite nice around there. Riding up to the point at 社子 on a fine day is splendid.

They don’t always include everything. I am including everything. The ads only include the official floor space. They don’t include washrooms, laundry rooms, balconies or split levels.

Please be aware that I am also trying to not…out myself on the forums too.

Ok, that’s probably because there’s been a lot of lawsuits on ads that intentionally inflate the floor space it contains, like including the elevator space, porch space, etc. and then claims 30 ping for a low low price of 6 million.

If I wanted cheap all I can afford is this

But that’s you. Buying a house isn’t easy, but it’s not a black and white thing.

But. Little bit of refurbishment goes a long way. Depending on your needs, you can do just fine. While you do need to look, they’re far from being unicorns.

Officially 31 Ping

By Danjin Beixin LRT Station. 10 min to Hongshulin. Under 10mil.

Everyone’s needs and conditions are different.

Ok, that’s looking better, just so you know 10 of those pings is the parking lot, so your living space is much smaller.

Right. But that I could sell for a million.

Bam. now it’s $6 million. It’s not as black and white as you describe is my point.

My point is that this kind of blanket posting that is so unbelievably easy to disprove doesn’t help. Things change from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. Everyone’s needs are different.

I found that listing in seconds.

If I bought that house, the mortgage would only be somewhat higher on the rent. The opportunity cost would not cover the losses from rent.

Can you sell the parking space independently? What use would the parking space be if the person does not live there? Do people buy parking space in a building they do not live in? What if the building does not give them access to the space?

Usually, yes.

Their building might be full and they live nearby.

My friend’s parents did. It was cheaper.

You own it, you have access.

The building’s parking spots are not tied to any single house officially.

$4 million TWD. It’s small. But, can’t go wrong if on a budget.

Wall off the bedroom and you’ve got yourself a studio for nothing.

Mortgage is like $12000. Rents on that thing would be about $8000

The biggest obstacle in the house buying process is you probably need a lot more than 20% of the asking price in cash. It is not a given that banks will loan you 80% of the price you are paying. I found that bank’s appraisal value differ up to 15% and will only loan you 70%. And then you have to factor in the remodeling cost since finding one that is ready to move in is rare.

Would banks loan 90 to 100%? Probably not likely. I’d likely need to come up at least 30% in cash to even start the process (or at least from friends that have bough houses, 30% seems to be standard).

So for a 6 million TWD house (which is not easy to find by the way) I need at least 2 million in cash to start.

Are home prices fixed? Is there any room for haggling, or if they said 6 million it’s 6 million, no haggling allowed?

100% is almost impossible. 90% is rare. 80% is common for official floor plans over 15 Ping. 70% for everything else. Based on bank’s appraisal.

Yeah.

No.

I knocked mine from 6.8 to 6. It’s expected.

Best time to buy is in recessions when there is less competition.

Just hope that recessions aren’t negatively affecting you.

1 Like

If say I have 50% in cash can further haggling happen?

No, but you’ll definitely lower your mortgage payments by a lot.

Are you sure this one is 31.7 ping ? It’s looks more than around 20 ping to me, I reckon 31 is including the shared part.