Buying property in Taoyuan/Hsinchu as a foreigner

Includes car spot.

Parking spot says is about 10 ping.

1 Like

Also NEVER EVER make judgment about the size of the place by picture alone. Professional photographers will photograph the location in such a way to make even a tiny space look huge. Since the sale price of a house tends to be really high, it’s worth it to hire a professional to do this. Always bring tape measure with you when viewing a house, and try to do it on a rainy day so that issues like leaks can’t be hidden.

Real story… I bought a fridge online and was surprised how small it was when I got it. The photos make it look big.

1 Like

I would presume that most people would view a property before purchasing it. I don’t think a tape measure is necessary to figure out how big it is.

1 Like

You may also want to consider not buying anything over 18 years old. That was when building codes was updated due to the catastrophic earthquake on 9/21/1999

1 Like

That’s interesting. Any idea what the thought process behind this is? Are the banks superstitious too? I would have assumed that if a buyer showed up with the deposit, the bank would be more than happy to oblige.

If anything it’s been actually tested by the quake, and it still stands, so it must be good as long as you don’t see major/obvious cracks (things will leak long before the structure is compromised).

I would assume because it would be harder to find another buyer should the original buyer fail to meet payments.

1 Like

Rent for a year or two. Get use of place first. Buying older apartment is like shopping around for second hand car. Best deals happened from mouth to mouth. Tell colleagues you are buying. Maybe they know something.

As a resident of Taiwan, you don’t have to pay taxes on dividends from Taiwanese companies. Many pay dividend in range 4 - 6 %

I think was also updated a second time 10 years ago.

I don’t know what the angst against higher priced property is about. If you can afford it and and the price is only going to increase, then I don’t see what the problem is. It’s a solid investment and a nice place to live at the same time.

That’s a really bold statement for basically every market, I would say.

It’s that idea that keeps people put, strengthens the local economy and usually pays off. It may all be nonsense but has always worked for us. The most money we’ve ever made is from selling real estate held for fewer than five years.

1 Like

Difficulty offloading it as collateral

2 Likes

Precisely. We’re in the process of buy house #2 and and selling #1 after almost 17 years. The profit from #1 is why we are able to consider upgrading.

1 Like

I’m coming out if that situation and will probably never own a home again. Home ownership is the key to generational wealth.

1 Like

the key word is holding it for 1 generation length of time in the US to guarantee that wealth

Actually its a very good idea becaude the real estate folks lie all the time.

1 Like

Not to mention how would you know if your washing machine will even fit through the balcony door? How would you plan for furniture and other fixtures? How do you know that 10 ping space is actually 10 ping, or is it just one very wide hallway?

A good photographer can make a narrow hallway look very spacious, not joking. When so much money is at stake they will hire professionals for this.

1 Like

Having looked at lots of places recently it is full.of liars. They say a rental is 40 ping you go there it’s at moat 20 to 25 ping. It’s unbelievable.
Its almost as bad as the 2nd hand car salesmen here. If you found a good agent in either industry hang onto them.

1 Like