Buying stuff in Taiwan and bringing it back

In the UK, on Apple.com, you can order a 16 inch Macbook Pro M2 with 64GB of RAM and the 30-core GPU upgrade for 3900GBP.

On the Taiwan site, it is 115,900 TWD.

From what I can see, both prices include VAT. Excluding VAT from both you get 3250 GBP in the UK and 2727.02 GBP in Taiwan.

So I could buy the Taiwan one, reclaim the 5% VAT, and pay the 20% VAT and import duty (0% on computers, it seems) and be around 800GBP better off (if I was going there anyway), right? What am I missing, what’s the catch?

2 Likes

UK prices are really expensive along with euros. I’m guessing VAT of 20% and above in these places have to do with it. Probably also corporate taxes in these places and generally more expensive to operate.

I always buy my iPhone back in Taiwan.

1 Like

I think a while ago Apple decided that they were going to peg the UK prices against the US prices, so basically ignoring the 1.20 dollar per GBP currency difference.

Besides, if I order it, it comes via Incheon anyway, so it’s not like any carbon emissions are being wasted or anything.

GBP is really volatile so I don’t blame them.

The only reason I buy apple stuff in the UK is I can get 20% VAT back if it’s for business use.

121900 ntd … my bad. that’s the 38 core. totally samba!

define: samba

a Brazilian dance of African origin.

:thinking:

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

ok

It’s Chinese. 3 (san). 8 (ba). It means ‘crazy’ or ‘wild’.

No… it’s the implementation used by macOS and Linux to transfer files over SMB protocol.

3 Likes

//server/username/files/asdfsdf/secret/.lol/pr0n.mp4

I’ve bought multiple MacBooks and iPhones at Taiwan department stores (not official Apple stores) and shown passport to get VAT back and coupon deals and/or employee price. In general, the products were discounted around 10% from official Apple prices. It’s easily doable.