Buying Used Car - Haggling Expected?

Good evening, possibly going to be purchasing a used car tomorrow. I’m wondering if it’s sort of expected to haggle a little bit and try to get a lower price or if that’s offensive, I’ve gotten mixed signals from people in the past when this topic comes up. Any general advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Who are you buying the car from?

1 Like

I bought 3 cars and 3 motorcycles in Taiwan and always politely negotiated, except when I knew someone was already giving me a good deal. Of course, that was 20+ years ago. If possible, do a lot of searching first to better understand the car’s value. The US has a lot of good online tools for this, like cargurus and truecar.com. Don’t know if Taiwan has similar models. Good luck!

Typically, the seller never wants to see you or the car again, regardless.*

Don’t worry about being offensive by offering a lower price, as long as you are polite. They can always decline, you can always walk away.

*For this reason, refrain from buying a car from a friend or family member.

3 Likes

Always negotiate. Mostly works. And you have nothing to lose anyway. The seller is not going to turn around and shoot you for negotiating or say that he will now not sell you the car even for his higher price because you wanted to pay less.

2 Likes

You should negotiate. You don’t own anyone anything and it’s not your problem if the get offended. As long as you are negotiating in good faith, as in you are actually interested in buying and not wasting time, your side of the street is clean.

1 Like