Bye bye mushroom houses

The lovely mushroom houses in Sanchih, past Danshui, are being demolished.

Those are the ones on cfimages avatar.

Affecting nearby developments, they said on the news.

Pity for the lovely things, but after being abandoned 20 years, they were in really bad shape.

You mean them nice little things here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mingxia/sets/72157610368479239/

Damn, wanted to make it at least one time more there…

Yep, so better hurry.

[quote=“Icon”]The lovely mushroom houses in Sanchih, past Danshui, are being demolished.

Pity for the lovely things, but after being abandoned 20 years, they were in really bad shape.[/quote]

Yup that was a project that never got off the ground. Bout time to get rid of them once and for all too.

what they gonna build there tho?

[quote=“Icon”]The lovely mushroom houses in Sanchih, past Danshui, are being demolished.

Pity for the lovely things, but after being abandoned 20 years, they were in really bad shape.[/quote]

Not just 20 years, as they were like that 20 years ago.

Wow. I didn’t know that. I didn’t expected them to be late seventies -at most?- but not that old. 40 years and they stood alone against the sea water, typhoon winds, graffitti, etc.

I’d still like to see some pretty arquitecture along the coastline, not just noodle thin brick awfulness, same all around.

Why was it they were abandoned? I wanted to sneak into them and look around once but the grounds around them was infested with cockroaches. Or maybe that was the reason. I wouldn’t mind riding up there for some pictures if some of them are still there.

When is the demolition date?

They were abandoned because the high winds from typhoons broke the plate glass and seemingly they would heat up like ovens in the summer, well that’s what I head.

What were they made of? Steel? I see a lot of rust in those pics. Well, who in their right mind would build a steel oven as a house in Taiwan? :loco:

As opposed to a concrete one?

As for those funky abodes, I took photos of them many moons ago. I'd forgotten all about them.
I'd be interested in visiting the eyesores once again...... before they are hammered unto oblivion.

What a pity to see them gone. They were a cool little place for photographers (and some of my biggest money-earners). Looks like I’ll have to find some more architectural oddities to shoot soon.

That’s not rust it’s mould. They are made of concrete as far as I can tell.

They are a concrete base with brick and fibreglass.

I think you answered your own question there bud. That place reminds me of those weird Jetsons-style holiday bungalows at Green Bay. Similar fate. Abandoned almost since new, finally demolished.

It would be nice if more land was cleaned up – even if they just left it empty.

There are too many abandoned factories littering the hills everywhere in the North.

Of course – there is no money to be made in that.

I do hope something nice is built there. And the mushroom houses concept if executed properly couldve worked these last few decades. It was an unique sight. And yes now that someone mentioned it, Green Bay had copied the basic idea and come up with those plastic bunbalow thingys . But the daily rental was quite high if i recall. Now Green Bay has the Howard Plaza resort (very nice, last times Iv been there) and also deluxe apartments built there.

I hope they build some nice resort in place of the mushroom houses. OR if the Taiwanese fear of ghosts stops that (place has been rumoured to be haunted) they can build a park.

there is a cute little park on LInsen N.Rd/ Nanking E.RD. that I liked to walk through when in the area. Later I found out it used to be the site of the Taipei funeral parlour. Thus nobody wanted to build a building there, but at least they had this park. So a nice park in place of the mushroom houses is not a bad idea.

Have you done that weird vaguely Gaudi-esque house in Taoyuan, the one that the guy apparently run out of money for when it was nearly finished?

Thought meant Temp, the intraweb home of the Smurf.

I like those things, although they are not much use.

Have you done that weird vaguely Gaudi-esque house in Taoyuan, the one that the guy apparently run out of money for when it was nearly finished?[/quote]

I’ve never heard of or seen that one. Taoyuan to me is just useful for getting to the airport - I don’t really know much else about it. Do you know where the house is?