BYOB Restaurants

Does anyone know of any decent restaurants that allow you to bring yer own bottle(s) of wine without charging you the earth for the privilege?

We went to a place at the weekend that allowed us to bring our own wine in and charged us 50NT$ per person for the use of a wine glass. That was a pretty good deal; especially if you bring in a load of bottles.

More commonly most places charge NT$200 – NT$300 per bottle which is not really on. Anyway I just wondered if anyone had any experiences with bringing in their own drink at a reasonable cost.

Tell us which place you went to so we won’t go there either.
EDIT: or maybe we want to go there. I don’t know.

Sorry. Perhaps I didn’t make that quite clear enough. The cost per glass per person was 50NT$. Therfeore it cost us NT$200 for the four of us regardless of how many bottles of wine we consumed. We only brought two, unfortunately, but if we had brought ten it would still have cost NT$200.

The food wasn’t quite good, as was the service. The total cost of the meal worked out about NT$1000 per head including beers as well as the corkage cost for the wine we brought. This included choice of starter, soup, salad bar, main course, dessert of the day and coffee. So overall pretty good.

This the place http://www.fransir.com.tw/

[quote=“qproy”]Sorry. Perhaps I didn’t make that quite clear enough. The cost per glass per person was 50NT$. Therfeore it cost us NT$200 for the four of us regardless of how many bottles of wine we consumed. We only brought two, unfortunately, but if we had brought ten it would still have cost NT$200.

The food wasn’t quite good, as was the service. The total cost of the meal worked out about NT$1000 per head including beers as well as the corkage cost for the wine we brought. This included choice of starter, soup, salad bar, main course, dessert of the day and coffee. So overall pretty good.

This the place http://www.fransir.com.tw/[/quote]

Can you bring your own food too?

[quote=“qproy”]Sorry. Perhaps I didn’t make that quite clear enough. The cost per glass per person was 50NT$. Therfeore it cost us NT$200 for the four of us regardless of how many bottles of wine we consumed. We only brought two, unfortunately, but if we had brought ten it would still have cost NT$200.

Thanks. It seems most places that are not just for fast food have the charge, but they don’t like to advertise it.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

Can you bring your own food too?[/quote]
Bring your dish and see what they say.

Aye Jim. You can stick it up yer arse en all.

At our place you could bring your food and your booze and would charge you 500NT$ per plate and glass per person, no corkage, but you could bring your own bottle opener… now what a deal is that … :whistle: you could eat straight from the table … for just 350NT$ per person … drinking would be a problem though … maybe cardboard cups? :roflmao:

I could save on cooking, waiters and dishwasher … oh, wait, that’s called picnic …

OK fair enough lesser frog. A simple request on places thst don’t over charge for briniging in yer own wine descends into the usual uslesss thread of shite.

Glad yer place worked out as such a success.

Pour the wine into a CamelBak hydration pack, and smuggle it into the restaurant. Take sips from the plastic straw. :bow:

WTF is corkage cost?
Can you bring you own wine and your own wine glass saying yourself that 50NT?

[quote=“qproy”]OK fair enough lesser frog. A simple request on places thst don’t over charge for briniging in yer own wine descends into the usual uslesss thread of shite.

Glad yer place worked out as such a success.[/quote]

Let me tell you something … if we get regular customers and they want to bring their own wine or favorite brand of whiskey we don’t even charge for the glass (unless they break it) or corkage … but for one time guests, of course we charge … for the glass, equal to the profit we would make if they buy a good Belgian beer … fair enough?

We really don’t care about people looking for a great deal … we like people that come for our food and the grumpy chef/owner, and are appreciate what they are eating for a fair price …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“qproy”]OK fair enough lesser frog. A simple request on places thst don’t over charge for briniging in yer own wine descends into the usual uslesss thread of shite.

Glad yer place worked out as such a success.[/quote]

Let me tell you something … if we get regular customers and they want to bring their own wine or favorite brand of whiskey we don’t even charge for the glass (unless they break it) or corkage … but for one time guests, of course we charge … for the glass, equal to the profit we would make if they buy a good Belgian beer … fair enough?

We really don’t care about people looking for a great deal … we like people that come for our food and the grumpy chef/owner, and are appreciate what they are eating for a fair price …[/quote]

Looking at it an other way … buying in glassware/crystal is a big investment, the guy that opens your bottle costs money, washing them costs money, breakage is a cost … if it is white wine it needs to be cooled preferably, ice costs money … the ice bucket costs … the restaurant pays rent, electricity, labor, insurance … I’m OK with the principle, but do not complain when people charge you for bringing BYOB … or charging too much according to your standards …

And I agree with places that allow it and charge you through the nose … because maybe, just maybe they invested 100,000’s or millions of NT$ in a wine cellar …

Oh, and when first time guests spend enough on food we might even waive all costs involved for bringing their favorite wine … they sometimes share with us … when they have something to celebrate …

I had a party at a restaurant, where they charged us NT$200 per bottle opened up to 5 bottles. That was NT$1,000 in total. I think we had 10-15 bottles split over 25 or so people. Not bad at all.

The one place I can remember not charging any corkage was Kunming. I’m not even sure if it’s still around as I haven’t been there in ages. The owner is a very nice guy and I believe he serves no alcohol for religious reasons. However, he had no problem with us bringing it in and I don’t remember him ever charging corkage. The food was good and I should drive by sometime when I’m near there and see if it’s still around.

I am digging this up from a very long ago post and sorry I can’t find a link to it.

Klaxon wrote:

[quote]
Kunming
26, Lane 81, Fushsing North Road (I believe near interesection with Nanjing)
I am surprised earlier posters would actually choose other Indian restaurants over this one … Although owner Yacoob says his dishes are middle-eastern, or Burmese. Whatever they are, they are top-notch. Rec: lamb or spicy lamb curry is to die for; vegetarian dishes are great too, so is his hot milk tea (I think he calls it Tibetan tea). And you must get the Chapatis, not rice. Try it, you will LOVE it! [/quote]

Man, I’d forgotten all about that place. I used to LOVE it. Anyone know if its still there or not?

It was there last June.

Yes, Kunming is still there and going strong. We went last month. They have a new sign and a newly designed menu, but otherwise it’s the same place as before.

I regularly go to a place in Banciao. Free ice, water and glasses. No charge for BYOB. GO out Fuzhong MRT exit 1 or 2. Cross the main road and continue past HIMART. When you get to Starbucks (one block) (Jongshan Rd, Sect 1) turn left. Go to KFC. THe teahouse is past KFC about 6-7 stores and has outside and inside tables. Because several of us go there fairly regularly, we buy a pizza for the staff about once a month but they have never tried to collect money from us. I even tried to pay a corkage fee the first couple times but was soundly rejected. Nice folks. THe only nearby 7-11 and Family Mart don’t have much of a selection so we always buy before we get there.

Aye Jim. You can stick it up yer arse en all.[/quote]

That’s an interesting way you have of inserting your food for consumption.

Of course you can use the cork from your bottle to keep all the food in there, before you leave

I hope your table manners are ok :whistle:

I’ll let you share my Pizza though