Cabbie at fault! How to collect!

On Friday evening, I smacked into an idiot cabbie who blindly darted perpendicularly into my scooter lane with the hopes that no one was there (he was trying to cross a busy street). Half a second was all I had to react. I crashed into his passenger side, and flipped over onto the road. The police arrived, they made a report, and it was agreed that the cabbie was at fault and he would pay for the damages to my scooter. This report is on paper, which we both signed. Physical damage to myself was miraculously at a minimum, sore head and bruises, so I did not go to the hospital. I mostly wanted to ensure that this guy would pay, and I learned that involving police charges, and hospital bills could limit that posibility. I’m not a liscened driver here, and the bike is registered in a friends name (there’s no Chinese name on my ARC).

The cabbie, myself and his cabbie pal who spoke some English proceeded to the repair shop with my scooter in tow. I was skeptical about bringing the scooter to the repair shop of his choice, but it turns out to be a somewhat good operation, and I didn’t have any alternative at the time. He again stated that he would pay for all costs, but I asked that any repairs be put on hold until got a representative on my side (the English help I had at the time was not that good), so we agreed to meet again today so I could bring my rep. Well, I haven’t recieved any response from him. He hasn’t answered repeated calls to his cell, and he didn’t show up to work today (I had a call made).

I feel like he is ditching the deal. How do I get him to pay? If his insurance will cover it, they will certainly look into the fact that I don’t have a drivers liscence, and they won’t pay (yes, I know 5 months in this country is plenty of time to have picked one up). But, if he has signed a committment to covering the cost, is there a way for me to collect?

[quote=“SuperCurl”]If his insurance will cover it, they will certainly look into the fact that I don’t have a drivers liscence, and they won’t pay (yes, I know 5 months in this country is plenty of time to have picked one up).[/quote]Liability is unconnected to whether you have a licence or not. See this thread;
[No license...automatically at fault? Not true
The police are entitled to fine you for not having a licence, however. Off the top of my head it’s 6000NT, though I’m not certain.

You’ll need to get in touch with the police, who will tell you to make a negligence complaint. It’s a sort of quasi-criminal thing, because although you’re suing for negligence, the police handle it. It’s great for frivolously extracting money out of people (I have been at the wrong end of an attempt to do this) because the defendent actually has to go to court.

[quote]Liability is unconnected to whether you have a licence or not. See this thread;
[/quote]

I saw the thread. I understand the myth. But the cabbies insurance company can still state that he is at fault and still not pay because I was driving illegally. Am I wrong?

Will a negligence complaint value the police report which states his agreement to pay for the damages?

[quote=“SuperCurl”][quote]Liability is unconnected to whether you have a licence or not. See this thread;
[/quote]

I saw the thread. I understand the myth. But the cabbies insurance company can still state that he is at fault and still not pay because I was driving illegally.[/quote]They could try not to pay, I suppose. But as the other driver is legally liable then any money you are entitled to will have to come from someone; either him or the insurance company. Hopefully they will see this sooner rather than later and the process will not be too drawn out.

This “negligence” thing sounds interesting. I assume you’d be prepared to drop that, however, if you were offered a satisfactory amount in settlement?

Hope it all goes well. Remember to post back and let us know what happens!