Cable TV volume goes up&down even while on the same channel

Does your Cable TV volume go up & down?

• Yes, but worse than yours
  • Yes, about the same at yours

0 voters

Of course the volume will go up sometimes during commercial ads… although I’ve heard that there were studies done before in the USA that “proved” that the commercials aren’t louder - hahahaha voodoo science.
Hmmm… interesting – just found an explanation about commercial ad volumes:
goamazing.com/content.asp?id=637
So I guess sometimes the commercials are cleverly manipulated so the measured sound volume is the same as the show, but the perceived sound is louder!

But what about that local furniture store commercial? They must be blatantly above the program volume… arghHHH! Regardless, I’ll NEVER buy anything from there (except earmuffs/plugs/paper mache/anything non toxic that I can put in my ears!!!).

But the volume goes up and down while we are watching programs too… I’d guess it increases about 2 or 3 times per half hour, for a few minutes each time, and then it will decrease to the normal level. Anyway, it’s enough to notice, and as we

I find that it’s worse if you are listening to the SAP.

What did you call me?
haha grab the wheel, I’m swerving!
I’ll have to check that when I get home…

Does anyone know how to change a Poll? I had tried to put a 3rd option:
No/not noticeable
but it didn’t appear, and now, although I can edit the post, I can’t change the Poll options…

It’s illegal to have advertisements that are louder than the regular programming in Western countries, at least the one I come from. I sometimes think there is some manipulation/ cheating going on, but the rule is generally followed. Here there obviously isn’t such a law. The volume goes up immensely during ads. Add to that the lousy video and audio quality of llocally produced ads and commercial breaks become unbearable. I also hate seeing the same ads for apartment developments, KTV jiu dian and dang pu all the freakin time (the same on every channel as well). Since I sprung for a dish, these ads have been blissfully absent from my television viewing. Ahhhhh.

For the technical aspect:
In regard to the ads - Basically it is because they are using a compressor/limiter to try to maximize the loudness. What this does is reduce the dynamic range so that the soft and loud sounds are close to the same volume. This adds noise and unfortunately, the local TV stations misuse this effect. As a result, “normal” program audio has a wide variety of sound levels but the ads have one (distorted full volume). Therefore, it sounds like the ads are a lot louder.

For the cultural aspect:
That’s another story. Ever walk by a store with someone in front yelling out sales over a microphone?

[quote=“elektronisk”]For the technical aspect:
In regard to the ads - Basically it is because they are using a compressor/limiter to try to maximize the loudness. What this does is reduce the dynamic range so that the soft and loud sounds are close to the same volume. This adds noise and unfortunately, the local TV stations misuse this effect. As a result, “normal” program audio has a wide variety of sound levels but the ads have one (distorted full volume). Therefore, it sounds like the ads are a lot louder.

For the cultural aspect:
That’s another story. Ever walk by a store with someone in front yelling out sales over a microphone?[/quote]

Sounds interesting. However, I tend to think the phenomenon is intentional here, especially considering how they suddenly cut to commercials without warning and so on here.

learn to use the mute button - works like a charm.

i like ads, as there’s always time to go to the can or grab a beer …

i’ve got a degree in marketing, but very few ads here are worth paying any attention to, even from an “i know something about this field” view.

We have two TVs. One of them has a function to keep the sound level even. It really works. It must be expensive or something. I don’t know why it’s not on more TVs.

damn, and all these months I thought it was my TV.

I’ve also heard somewhere that it’s illegal for local cable operators to swap in local Taiwanese ads to cover up the ads that would normally be shown. Thus, when CNN is about to run yet another “Malaysia truly Asia” interlude, we get hit about half a second late with a seemingly very loud local furniture-store ad. Is it because Eastern Broadband (or somebody else) is foisting local ads off on us?