Caiman loose in Nantou

A caiman is spotted in kha-pe̍h-sún (zizania latifolia stems) farms, which are usually flooded with water. They have been trying to capture it since last week, but so far the caiman remains elusive.

3 Likes

Maybe let it catch some of those escaped lizards first? Or were there in Pingtung?

2 Likes

People just have no respect for the environment.

2 Likes

Yup people can be complete idiots. :neutral_face:

Guy

I guess someone thought it would be funny.

Poor crocs getting blamed all the time for caimen shenanigans.

@slawa if you see it, take a pic!

Yeah.

One question… are they tasty?

Interestingly, the report says they wonder if it was a private citizen or a Buddhist group the one who set the caiman loose there…

And why Nantou?! In s rice field?! As far away from its natural habitat as possible…

Yes, both iguanas and caiman are tasty… problem is a big enough caiman finds you tasty too.

BTW the elderly lady said at first she was afraid of working next to the croc, but she told him to move … And he did!

1 Like

My bet is this was an exotic pet that got too big to handle.

Whoever released it though is an idiot.

Guy

2 Likes

Let’s eat it now that it’s tender.

And before it eats us.

Extremely. But its an illogical animal to farm on every single metric. Controlled hunting or go home. Talking more of certain crocs and alligators, not caimen.

I think that was “water bamboo” farm, no?

No croocdilian gets big enough in taiwan in the wild to pose risk, eapecially caimens.

From my experience with croc and family in taiwan they are unintentional escapes. There is either a breeder or a new pet owner than is minus 1 (or more) youngins. There are a decent nimber of people that keep them as pets.

That tiny thing eats fish, rodents snakes and birds. Not people and dogs.

In my opinion crocodilians should be a group that requires registration. Most are insanely abused and kept in horrible conditions :frowning:

3 Likes

Crocodile tastes like chicken (or possibly turkey - it’s a bit dry and chewy). I’m guessing caiman is about the same.

I ate crocodile in a restaurant attached to a crocodile farm in Australia. Tastes like chicken.
Let’s go hunt. :grin:

Funny. I just watched this half an hour ago.

2 Likes

Reviving this thread as Nantou is once again in the news for animals on the loose—this time, a couple of capybaras. :neutral_face:

No I am not making this up.

Guy

4 Likes

I saw the female was found earlier.

1 Like

Wasn’t there recently a croc or alligator bbq in TC for 中秋節?