Cake Icing/Frosting?

Finding premade cake frosting (e.g. Duncan Hines) across Asia is a problem in general, but I am hoping against hope that it may be available here.

So far, no luck; I’ve tried Carrefour, Jason’s, POYA, various department stores’ “basement supermarkets”, and even Costco (which has some nasty caramel-cheese-flavored spread, but not frosting). Not tried Wellcome yet, but don’t have high hopes, and beyond that, I am out of ideas.

So, are there places that sell premade cake frosting/icing?

It’s curious to me because I see the cake batter mixes in basically every supermarket that has imports, yet no premade frosting. Is cake Icing just too sweet, or do they do something else instead? Surely they don’t lather their cakes with condensed milk and Nutella?

First, though maybe you realize this and there’s some reason it won’t work for you, it’s pretty easy to make, no?

City Super in Sogo probably has the best selection of baking items. Pricey though.

There are a lot of small “DIY” bake stores, the list here is a bit old but should still be usable:

I can’t recall seeing tinned icing in any of these places though. Maybe the big baking stores will sell premade in the fridge?

I unfortunately have. The Walton store moved away from downtown, but their products are indeed available at City Super.

I recommend the bakery store at Dihua street.

Or the one in Shilin

And yes, the reason why you do not find that readily available is that both those and box cake mixes are rather industrial. Homemade? Cheap butter and cream it is. Please do try to compensate for Taiwan´s humidity which affects frosting a lotta.

In the past I found canned frosting, Duncan Hines brand I believe, at both Wellman’s and Willie’s Deli in Tianmu. I obviously don’t get up that way much because I just now discovered that Wellman’s shut down in 2017.

Who knows if Willie’s (now called G & G) will have it, but here’s their info:

If you do find it, you’re going to pay a pretty penny for it.

1 Like

That seems likely. The last man standing in Tienmu

1 Like

That one and the Tienmu Butchery, God bless his chops.

1 Like

Yes, got a turkey there a while back. Kind of a weird butcher still there across from where Wellman’s was too

Icing is super easy to make, even with a stick blender. 1:2 parts butter and confectioner’s sugar (by weight). Blend the softened butter and slow sift the sugar into it. You can add a few drops of vanilla or a bit of dried vanilla pod if you like. If you want chocolate icing, just sift some cocoa powder in with the sugar (1:2:0.33 = butter:sugar:cocoa), or to taste. Finish with a couple tablespoons of whole milk or cream blended in if you’re going to spread it on a soft cake top. Takes maybe 5 minutes, start to finish.

Everthing you need is available at Costco, including the stick blender.

I have seen Duncan Hines at City Super, too.

Except Marzipan .:unamused: Not so easy to make I suspect . Xmas cake yum yum

They do on their shaved mango ice!

My pal can make a cake for you with dulce de leche. :yum:

When did you post this? G&G is called G&G for more than 10 years.

Depends on the method you want to make it. But Taiwan has a texture substitute, RED BEANS!

It’s been a few years since I was there, and in my mind I only remember it as Willie’s Deli. I must have forgotten the G&G part.