California ... a failed state

Yeah got it, and believe me, states that “benefit” by the Cali exodus do, indeed, suffer from the incoming ahem idealism.

When I was a kid, the saying I most remember of my ma’s was “would love to buy you for what you’re worth and sell you for what you think you’re worth, young bojack.”

Similarly would love to see all of Cali agree that its perhaps unrealistic assumptions about humanity could, in theory, prove too expensive to support. I can’t help but believe that misery would fall along with tax rates, in an inverse relation to overall Cali happiness.

And I would love for everyone to act from the knowledge that wealth disparity is bad for society. Would not need taxes and government regulations if everyone acted right on their own. But realistic expectations from humanity more plausibly suggest the need for more regulation, not less.

I agree that government needs to spend money more efficiently though.

I respect your opinion, even while I suspect that even you realize the inherent contradiction in what you write.

What I mean is that you seem to think it’s possible for government to behave like sterile, self-sacrificing, non-profit adminstrators in the long run.

Let’s assume they’re successful in the short run. In the 2-5yr, short term case they may easily be left behind in terms of salary, public to private. Those they regulate may have a rocketing income potential without regulatory retardation. What realistic incentive do they have to support a growing salary gap between them and those they regulate?

What incentives for unanticipated corruption are created by Cali prop-law, or indeed any other regulations enacted by Cali referendums?

I have less faith in humans than you, I fear, especially in their respectably organized form. And I have history on my side, I believe.

I am not a fan of the prop system that is often influenced by special interest groups. Wasn’t too long ago my neighbors had signs in their yards supporting a ban on gay marriage.

The proposition system erodes protections that a representative government is meant to provide.

1 Like

Water. See how they treat it and say they are fixing its problem of absence. if such an obvious emergency as water cant be remedied logically, little faith can be given to other sectors in their ability to solve problems long term. Its a mind set problem, not a specifics problem. They try, we might believe they try. The issue is they are trying to prevent the problem. Reap what you sow. califirnia is a direct result of hard work making it what it is today. It takes serious hard work and dilligence to create water shortages, homelessness, debt, policy changes etc. that point is massively underestimated.

It is easier to destroy than to create, but that doesn’t mean destroying isn’t hard work.

It is kind of a desert down here.

They make a desert and call it progress.

Civilization is artificial. It is a grand effort to impose human will upon the planet. Blame the back-to-nature movement for these troubles.

Nature is red in tooth and claw. Some places, nature is dry in the throat.

No, blame cheap water to avacado farmers for this particular problem. Not as satisfactory as making oracular statements about the Doom of Civilization, but easier to fix.
About Uber: if you believe minimum wage laws, health insurance laws , and safety laws are horrible examples of government oppression, you will naturally object to this decision.

1 Like

And desert. I live in an irrigated desert.

If Trump builds the wall, the avocados will die.

Won’t someone please think of the avocados?

People in California

Especially since they added a cap on deductions for property tax and mortgage interest for federal taxes.

Yep, start by nationalizing personal wealth. If you can’t rein in spending, and if you won’t allow citizens to work, if you won’t allow small biz to open, eh no worries. Cali residents will absolutely love having poverty distributed up to the enrichment of Sacramento. Cali’s always been that way. :laughing:

I suspect this will hasten the exodus.

California is facing a big budget deficit because of the health and economic crisis brought on by the coronavirus, and “we can’t simply rely on austerity measures,” to close it, said Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, lead author of AB2088.“We must consider revenue generation.”

He admitted that the union-sponsored bill will not be heard before the Legislature adjourns Aug. 31, but “it can be reintroduced on day one of the next session.”

Bonta said he would like to see a wealth tax passed in addition to the “millionaires tax” proposed in a bill introduced in late July. AB1253 would add surcharges of 1% to incomes (joint or single) between roughly $1 million and $2 million, 3% on income between $2 million and $5 million, and 3.5% on income greater than $5 million, bringing the top rate to 16.8%. California’s top rate today, at 13.3%, is already the highest in the nation.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/networth/article/California-lawmakers-propose-a-15482011.php

Blackouts looks to continue

1 Like
1 Like

Lots of people moving to suburbs too. Happening in NYC as well.

They cut off our airconditioner today in Southern California. Better than losing power altogether, but it is hot. High of 105 F. Maybe time for solar.

1 Like

Solar would never provide enough power to power AC. You know the whole goal of green energy is actually to use less power, and that doesn’t include the use of AC. It wants us to go back to horses and buggies.

You need nuclear power if you want to use AC. Problem is people are too scared of it.

1 Like

A bunk of solar panels on our roof with a couple storage batteries would be just fine to effectively take us off grid. We have run the numbers just have not pulled the trigger.

It also cost millions, and by the time it paid for itself the panels will need to be replaced. Production of said panel is not carbon neutral and is highly polluting. Solar is a rich man’s dream, not something the common people, who works 3 jobs living paycheck to paycheck living like a monk can even dream of.

But we’re scared of nuclear so it’s off the table.