California's biggest crop is bright green and funny-smelling

Legalize it, control it and tax it.

[quote]Home-grown
Oct 18th 2007 | CHINO HILLS, From The Economist print edition

Forget wine—California’s biggest crop is bright green and funny-smelling

SUBURBS don’t come much tidier than Chino Hills, 30 miles (50 km) east of downtown Los Angeles. Last year, the neighbourhood of coffee-coloured stucco houses and three-car garages boasted an average household income twice that of the nation as a whole. In Vista del Sol, one of its quiet enclaves, every house but one has a neatly-trimmed green lawn. And, until recently, the exception was verdant inside. When the police went in, they found more than 800 marijuana plants—a small part of what is turning out to be an enormous harvest.

Greg Garland, a local narcotics cop, used to discover about a dozen houses a year that had been turned into marijuana factories. So far this year he has raided more than 40. The production boom is not confined to the suburbs. Since April the state’s annual “Campaign against Marijuana Planting” has pulled 2.9m plants worth some $10 billion from back gardens, timber forests and state lands (see chart). Marijuana is now by far California’s most valuable agricultural crop. Assuming, very optimistically, that the cops are finding every other plant, it is worth even more than the state’s famous wine industry.

The illicit crop is grown with a technical sophistication that Napa Valley’s Robert Mondavi might envy. To supply outdoor plantations, rivers are dammed and water piped as far as two miles. Plants are nourished with fertilisers and tended by workers brought to America specifically for the purpose. Ageing hippies are responsible for only a few such operations. Kent Shaw, a state narcotics officer, reckons four-fifths of outdoor marijuana plantations are run by Mexican criminal gangs.

Indoor factories, by contrast, are largely the province of East Asian entrepreneurs. They prefer to buy houses rather than rent them, to avoid the attention of landlords. They tend to go for big ones in good neighbourhoods: the property in Vista del Sol cost more than $600,000. Like good horticulturalists, they propagate strains of the plant that produce a high proportion of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, marijuana’s active ingredient) and speed their growth by means of heat and artificial light.

Why the boom? The National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that the rate of marijuana use in California has barely risen in the past few years, whereas production has hugely increased. Some 11% of the state’s population indulge—just a puff over the national average, and less than every state in New England. (more story at the…uhh…link…man)
The Economist[/quote]

[quote]Legalize it, control it and tax it.
[/quote]

Grow it, smoke it, and don’t tax it.

Cannabis has been the top crop for a long time, and not just for California, for all the United States. That’s because the price, not the quantity, is essential to the marijuana market. If cannabis was legal, the price wouldn’t be so high, and it wouldn’t be the US’s biggest crop.

And just this morning I read that three quarters of a million people in the US were arrested for possession last year.

[quote=“Andrew Sullivan”][The article] continues:

[quote]For the fourth year in a row, marijuana arrests in the U.S. set an all-time record in 2006, according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

Arrests totaled 829,627, an increase from 786,545 in 2005. Similar to previous years, 738,916 or 89 percent were for possession, not sale or manufacture, and marijuana possession arrests again exceeded arrests for all violent crimes combined.[/quote]

Close to a million people a year being entangled in the criminal justice system for smoking something that is less harmful than alcohol: and this isn’t even on the table for discussion in the election.[/quote]

What a pathetically stupid waste of resources.

Who knew avocados were so popular…

Ohhhh, you meant that other green crop.

Oh! The Economist. You guys are so funny with your “just a puff over the national average.”

I mean is that hip speak.

Oh. Well, O.K.; but, I wouldn’t laugh at it even if I was stoned.

That’s the Economist for you though. I do for the most part appreciate their dour, dry as a salty chip humour. The human touch I suppose they call it.

Chino Hill…? Isn’t that the place where there was some controversy over the opening of a 99 Ranch Market?
Doesn’t Snoopy Dog live there as well?

[quote=“Hobbes”]And just this morning I read that three quarters of a million people in the US were arrested for possession last year.

[quote=“Andrew Sullivan”][The article] continues:

[quote]For the fourth year in a row, marijuana arrests in the U.S. set an all-time record in 2006, according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.

Arrests totaled 829,627, an increase from 786,545 in 2005. Similar to previous years, 738,916 or 89 percent were for possession, not sale or manufacture, and marijuana possession arrests again exceeded arrests for all violent crimes combined.[/quote]

Close to a million people a year being entangled in the criminal justice system for smoking something that is less harmful than alcohol: and this isn’t even on the table for discussion in the election.[/quote]

What a pathetically stupid waste of resources.[/quote]

I guess a lot of the time that is random stop and search. Or searching of vehicles on hoping of finding something more serious like guns or coke. But instead find a little bit of spliff and then the cops have no choice but to press charges.

Many things I like about the USA but their stupid dumb cannabis laws is not one of them. And I don’t even smoke it as it clogs up the lungs and makes you lazy. hardly grounds for banning it though lol :smiley:

By now it could be black and smells like burned toast …

The taxation possibilities are endless.
Morality & the Treasury/Revenue Department should maintain a fluctuating, cause & effect relationship.
Especially in this regard.
That would, however, take a huge bite out of organized crime.
And all that That entails.