Call for poems and more

Call for poems

I am hoping that this year, finally, my plans to cofound a publishing company will come to fruition.
It will primarily target Taiwan’s English-reading expat community, as well as be a voice for English-writing expats.

While it is a commercial venture, I think, if I can break even, that will be lucky.

One particular labor of love is an anthology of poems that are somehow tangential to foreigners’ lives in Taiwan. I hope it can be illustrated by expat artists/photographers.

If you are a poet or songwriter please contact me at jiyue.publications@gmail.com and I will send you more details of the project.

Mark

I have just spoken with the poetry anthology editor, and she has suggested a deadline for submissions of August 31.

Get scribbling (please)

Mark

A commercial venture? OK, so what’s the pay for work you publish?

Sandman wrote: [quote]A commercial venture? OK, so what’s the pay for work you publish?[/quote]
A collection of expat poetry is a commercial venture?:eek: Closer to charity I would say.

Anyway, I don’t think the contributing poets will have to pay anything. :laughing: Hopefully sales will help cover the costs of publication.

Are you saying he wants US to work for free so HE can make some dosh? Goodness gracious me! That’s a GREAT idea!

wow, cynical bunch, aren’t you?

Yes, there will be a payment to contributors
perhaps a one off honorarium, perhaps a share of royalties

the former would be pretty harsh on my company as the chance of turning a profit is slim (this really is a labour of love, but i certainly don’t want to restrict your right to ridicule that)

the latter would be harsh on contributors for the same reason (although publications such as this rarely pay. I myself contribute to “Pressed” and don’t slag Joel off for not paying, i know how much work is involved)

in contrast to you cynics out there, several of the people who have made contributions have suggested pooling the honoraria/royalties and donating them to charity
which is refreshingly unselfish

(apologies for my thin skin)
mark

Jeez, you poet blokes are sensitive. Do you cry when you see a beautiful sunset?

Anyway, my post was directed at Sandman silly idea that there is any money to be made from poetry, not you. And as for Sandman, he’s a grumpy old Scottish bastard so there’s no need to pay him any heed.

[quote=“almas john”]Jeez, you poet blokes are sensitive. Do you cry when you see a beautiful sunset?

Anyway, my post was directed at Sandman silly idea that there is any money to be made from poetry, not you. And as for Sandman, he’s a grumpy old Scottish bastard so there’s no need to pay him any heed.[/quote]
And almas is an ignoran … oops, no. No way. Not going there. Oh no.
Anyway, Pressed is a freebie, isn’t it? I don’t mind dong stuff for free if its a free publication. But I sure won’t allow a publisher to use my liquid prose if he’s charging people to read it.

I’ve a collection of rather naughty limericks and uh…“poetry” copied from bathroom walls from around the world (names changed and tele #'s removed).

Do these qualify? Are you paying by the limerick or is it a bulk rate? :beatnik:

So can we expect your contribution soon, or was this it?

doesn’t everyone cry when the sun sets?

So can we expect your contribution soon, or was this it?[/quote]
Has a nice metre, doesn’t it? Although I think “print” rather than “publish” would capture more of the essence of man’s existential angst. Just think yourself lucky I charge by the word.

Are you kidding? Ruth Lilly left US$200 million to Poetry magazine last year. And no I’m not kidding.

Muzha Man wrote: [quote]Are you kidding? Ruth Lilly left US$200 million to Poetry magazine last year. And no I’m not kidding.[/quote]

So you’ll be switching to poetry? I thought not. :smiling_imp:

Anyway, as you know, it’s not money we want, it’s IMMORTALITY we seek.

So you’ll be switching to poetry? I thought not. :smiling_imp: [/quote]

Thought about it for a while. But me poetry days are behind me now.

I keep trying to link to the article on the endowment but my browser crashes. Damn New Yorker website.

Someone called me Mr. Tartenkill at work today, seemed appropriate if your information is correct.