Camping in Kending questions

Hey,

For Chinese New Year my friend and I have decided that since we don’t have any plans we are going to buy a tent and head down to Kending for a couple of days. We heard we could camp there. I have a couple of questions.

1. Where in Taichung can I buy a cheap tent, I am also wondering the price?

2. When you go to Kending do you have to reserve a campsite or can you just go down there and buy a piece of grass for the night?

3. I heard the best way to get to Kending from Taichung is to take a train to Fang-Liao then a bus to Kending. Is this the best approach?

If there are any other tidbits that someone feels like adding about Kending thanks for the help.

Thanks in advance,
Argon

[quote=“argonfly”]Hey,

For Chinese New Year my friend and I have decided that since we don’t have any plans we are going to buy a tent and head down to Kending for a couple of days. We heard we could camp there. I have a couple of questions.

1. Where in Taichung can I buy a cheap tent, I am also wondering the price?

2. When you go to Kending do you have to reserve a campsite or can you just go down there and buy a piece of grass for the night?

3. I heard the best way to get to Kending from Taichung is to take a train to Fang-Liao then a bus to Kending. Is this the best approach?

If there are any other tidbits that someone feels like adding about Kending thanks for the help.

Thanks in advance,
Argon[/quote]

Best way to get to Kenting is to fly to Hengchun airport, then rent a scooter and drive the remaining 30 minutes.

By train, go to Kaohsiung. there are buses at least every hour to Kenting. From Fang-liao there are only two buses a day.

There are, according to the 2005 Taiwan Camping Guidebook, 13 campsites in Kenting. Go to your local outdoor shop for the book. Most are just open grassy fields so you should be able to get in and set up your tent.

Camp on the beach at Bai Sha Wan. It’s free. There are usually a few tents there during Chinese New Year. It about a 15 minute drive out of Kenting. Beautiful sunrises. There is a campground near there that for a very small fee you can use their showers (hot water available). I’ve camped there a few times.

Just show some respect and clean up after yourself. Also. The police don’t want people to have fires on the beach.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Camp on the beach at Bai Sha Wan. It’s free. There are usually a few tents there during Chinese New Year. It about a 15 minute drive out of Kending. Beautiful sunrises. There is a campground near there that for a very small fee you can use their showers (hot water available). I’ve camped there a few times.

Just show some respect and clean up after yourself. Also. The police don’t want people to have fires on the beach.[/quote]

Can you still cam on the beach? MJB reported last year that the police were stopping people from camping illegally. Places he had camped at for years were now off limits.

I camped there last March and then again in early September. No problems.

Damn. I hope this isn’t true. It was so great to wake up in the morning, Roll out of my sleeping bag and jump in the ocean.