Camping in Kenting

Can anybody tell of campsites in kenting and how I would go about arranging them?

I am looking for a place in or around Kenting where there aren’t too many people and adequate shade so I don’t roast at 7:00am when the sun is up.

It doesn’t neccesarily need to be a campsite, just anywhere I can put up my tent and sleep in peace.

Any ideas?

I was there this weekend. I stayed in a hotel, but my friends camped at a place about 10 minute walk from kending street.

The campsite was halfway betwen kending street and sail rock (from starbucks, keep going away from the main street) on the right hand side. There is a sign in chinese saying 露營區 then you will go down from the road towards the ocean.

They had showers and bathrooms and all the pitches are covered by trees so you won’t be woken at 6am. It was $100 per person per night.

i know it’s been a while since i’ve been down to kenting … but really?

[quote=“Mugatu”]I was there this weekend. I stayed in a hotel, but my friends camped at a place about 10 minute walk from kending street.

The campsite was halfway betwen kending street and sail rock (from starbucks, keep going away from the main street) on the right hand side. There is a sign in Chinese saying 露營區 then you will go down from the road towards the ocean.

They had showers and bathrooms and all the pitches are covered by trees so you won’t be woken at 6am. It was $100 per person per night.[/quote]

Sorry. Not too clear where you mean.

Do I head down the street next to the breakfast place?

If so then you get to a T-junction. I didn’t think you could go straight cause it’s fenced off isn’t it?

Thanks in advance Mugatu.

You could use the campground that we stayed in over CNY…There won’t be many people there this time of year.

Head past Kenting all the way to Oluanpi where the road splits and starts to climb the hill toward Chialaosui…Just about 300meters after you start climbing you’ll see the turnoff to the lighthouse on your right. Take it, and then the first left about 100 meters down the road. Follow this until it ends, which will put you at the entrance to the campground.

At the back of the campground there is a nice size meadow surrounded by trees and should keep the sun out until 8-9am if you pitch in the right spot. They have hot/cold showers, a small store and some sheltered sites should the weather turn inclement.

This is about a third of the meadow in the back of the campground:

From the back of this campground you can plow through a small trail in the back and end up on the huge grassy meadows below the lighthouse, and from there it’s a two minute walk to the water. No beach, but there are a couple of relatively protected pools for swimming/snorkeling.

Enjoy your trip :sunglasses:

That sounds exactly what i’m looking for. Thanks MJB.

How much do they charge?

Does anyone know any other “off the beaten path” camping places?

If you don’t want to post them here then PM me. I can keep a secret :wink:

One of the reasons I want a place away from the crowds is that I want to bring my dogs and so many people are terrified of them. :frowning:

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]That sounds exactly what i’m looking for. Thanks MJB.

How much do they charge?

Does anyone know any other “off the beaten path” camping places?

If you don’t want to post them here then PM me. I can keep a secret :wink:

One of the reasons I want a place away from the crowds is that I want to bring my dogs and so many people are terrified of them. :frowning:[/quote]

No worries, besides this place is bigger than it looks…Keep in mind in the shot there is my full size SUV, a 16x20 foot tarp and my 8 man yurt in about a third of the meadow which in itself is only about a quarter of the campground.

Dogs are no problem, besides if it’s not CNY you’ll likely have the entire place to yourself.

Contact info:

Oluanpi Campground

08 885 1615
08 889 9056
Cell: 0935 595 014

It’s an older woman that runs the place, with some assistance from the family when it gets busy. She doesn’t speak English, but her kids do (If they are around)

A few months ago the rats were in Kenting and took a video of the campground beside Baisha Beach at my request. Doesn’t look great but it is very shaded and you’re right by the beach.

youtube.com/watch?v=3j4dI3RAg40

Not really sure how to explain.

At one end of Kending street is McDonalds, at the other Starbucks. From the Starbucks end, head away from the street - past the big hotels (Caeser, i think) then about five minutes (driving) straight along the coast road towards sail rock, the campsite is on the right hand side down towards the ocean.

Each of the pitches are sectioned off and have cover too, so it’s fairly private.

Thanks Mugatu and Mucha Man.

Great suggestions.

I’ll check them both out this weekend.

Just one more question about the Bai Sha Wan campsite.

When driving to Bai Sha Wan from the 7-11 on the main strip into Kenting is the campsite you are talking about at the beginning of the beach or at the far end?/

And the price if you know it.

Do you think it will be crowded at this time of year?

That’s 3 questions then. :wink:

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Just one more question about the Bai Sha Wan campsite.

When driving to Bai Sha Wan from the 7-11 on the main strip into Kending is the campsite you are talking about at the beginning of the beach or at the far end?/

And the price if you know it.

Do you think it will be crowded at this time of year?

That’s 3 questions then. :wink:[/quote]

Baisha Wan is the little bay north-west of Kenting. You have to drive out of Kenting, past Nanwan, past the nuclear power station, and along the coast toward the aquatic museum.

No idea if it will be crowded. Price is regular camping rates afaik, meaning a few hundred for a spot if you have your own tent.

I know the best camping spot in Kenting. It’s tiny, and no one knows about it, obviously, because when we go there, there’s never anyone else camping. It has one sink, decent camping bathrooms with hot shower. It’s right next to the beach so you hear the waves at night. The draw back is that the beach is private in that area, so there’s a fence about 100 feet from the shoreline. There isn’t that much shade, except for the one perfect spot under three trees. The campground itself is cute, too. It’s grassy, it has plants and flowers all about, a small man-made fish pond and one hammock. The people there are friendly and they have an old friendly dog named Buddy. The dog’s been there for years, just hanging out. Best of it all, is this campgroung is walking distance from the main street in Kending, yet, it’s quiet at night.

It’s not the one where people put their tents on the sand up from the beach, BTW. I’m telling you, it’s Kenting’s best kept secret. :wink:

I stayed at the campsite Muchman suggested. I was there 2 weeks ago.

It was fairly crowded but not too bad.

I paid NT300 because the guy said that the place we put our tent wasn’t an actual plot. The normal plots were NT400.

It is at the far end of Bai Sha Wan.

There are two sites there. One is at the beginning of the beach when driving from Kenting street the other is at the far end.

The first one has no shade at all so not good in the summer.

Thanks for the info. Good site.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I stayed at the campsite Muchman suggested. I was there 2 weeks ago.

I paid NT300 because the guy said that the place we put our tent wasn’t an actual plot. The normal plots were NT400.

There are two sites there. One is at the beginning of the beach when driving from Kending street the other is at the far end.

Thanks for the info. Good site.[/quote]

Two now. Jesus they just can’t keep development down in that area. How was the beach? Clean, crowded? Used to be very nice and even remote feeling. Now I imagine that is gone.

1 Like

[quote=“Lo Bo To”].

There are two sites there. One is at the beginning of the beach when driving from Kending street the other is at the far end.
[/quote]The far one has roosters. I hate roosters when camping. They are a solid nuisance. I can’t count how many sleepless night I have had while dreaming of plucking a rooster alive. That site had roosters, and a chained barking dog when I was there. It was annoying as hell. The other one is busy and very noisy in the morning. And yes, no shade.

When you get to kenting, carry on past the first big beach and you will get to a 7-11 with a Mcdonalds across the street from it. Hang a right at the next traffic light. About 50 yards down, the road will make a sharp left turn. Just past that curve, there is a big paying parking lot on the right hand side. You can’t miss it. Behind that parking lot is where the campground I mentioned above is located. It’s the best we’ve found in the kenting area. Clean, cute, convenient, very quiet, and cheaper!

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]I stayed at the campsite Muchman suggested. I was there 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the info. Good site.[/quote]

Two now. Jesus they just can’t keep development down in that area. How was the beach? Clean, crowded? Used to be very nice and even remote feeling. Now I imagine that is gone.[/quote]

The beach was pretty clean. There were quite a few people there but not nearly as crowded as Nan Wan or Shiao Wan(the one in Kenting).

Bai Sha is still very underdeveloped but it is slowly changing. There was a small bar/hot dog stand at both campsites.

There were no roosters or barking dogs while I was there.

I have to say, Taiwanese people who camp are cut from a different cloth. I let my dogs run around the campsite and everyone who was there were dog lovers. My little puppy is very curious about people and usually she scares people when she approaches but all the campers and their children were petting her and had no problem.

(Note: I let my older dog go first for an hour or so to see if people were comfortable with dogs. My older dog never bothers people and when I noticed that people were paying attention to him, then I let the little one go)

I really enjoyed it there. People were quiet, clean and considerate. Good times:)