Can 250cc+ Scooters/Motorcycles Ride on "Flower" Highways?

I’m having trouble getting a straight answer on this.

If I get a 250cc+ scooter or motorcycle with a yellow license plate, can I go on Guódào (國道) such as:

===Sun Yat-Sen Freeway (Flower #1)
===Formosa Freeway (Flower #3)
===Shui Sha Lian Highway (Flower #6)

Or, can only red license plate, 550cc+ bikes do this?

Also, can a yellow license plate bike go on the Western Coastal Expressway (Red Shield 61)?

Thanks!

I’ll stop you right here. No.

No. Motorcycles cannot go on the National Highway System.

https://www.freeway.gov.tw/english/Publish.aspx?cnid=1094&p=522

Article 19

Only the 3甲 allows red licence plates.

Taiwan Highways Yes.

3 Likes

I thank you for your speedy response.

I was hoping to make Changhua to Hehuan Shan weekend trips a reality, but I guess not.

1 Like

For all 250+, regardless if red or yellow plate:

Red shield highways, yes.

White flower, no

Blue shield, yes.

It might be a bit difficult, but it should only be a ~3 hour ride there. Not terrible.

If you’re in it for the hiking, the 谷關七雄 aren’t so far away and are pretty great hikes. Up in TC myself, only maybe an hour.

1 Like

And if you’re up by CH city, Alishan is about equidistant. If you’re lower down in the county, it’s even closer.

I’ve rode up to Hehuan Shan 14 times with my 土狗 between my legs and my wife on my back! :laughing: I was hoping to shave an hour or so off my travel time as well as have a bike that doesn’t gasp for air and struggle pitifully at 3000 meters.

谷關 is awesome. I’ve only been there twice… I should go again…

豐山 in Chiayi is also stunningly beautiful with some pretty hard-core hikes…

1 Like

Taiwan’s regulations on motorcycles (being it white, yellow and red plates) r completely dumb.

Technically u treat heavy motorcycles as cars, even force them to park in car parking spaces, but then restrict them to access freeways…

White plates motorcycles restrictions to go on urban highways and mandate for 2 steps left turns.

Silly, keeping things simple would help greatly, a lot of rule for nothing

1 Like

Not for nothing. From January to August this year: 1273 motorcycle riders and passengers have died.

Rules are clearly working :unamused:

3 Likes

Where are these statistics?

Well I sure hope you weren’t planning to take a dog on the highway :rofl:

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to check it out… Sometime in the future when I have that mystical thing called free time and vacation :rofl:

1 Like

64% of Traffic Deaths in Taiwan Involve Motorcycles - TaiwanPlus

https://roadsafety.tw/

The numbers are horrific, whichever you choose to read.

All of these were motorcycle incidents on the National Highways?

1 Like

I would ban all vehicles from the roads for safety

2 Likes

LOL! Well, I nearly got run over by a vehicle reversing on the sidewalk tonight! Banned from the roads may not be enough!

4 Likes