Can a 125cc scooter take highway 3?

pretty much title says it all.

i’ve tried googling this question so many times.

am confused about the scooter laws on highways.

if you could answer this question for me i’d be grateful.

Cheers ~ Micah

As for the laws, generally yes for highway (blue triangle), no for the freeway (flower) and sometimes on a speedway (red triangle) – on the last one you need to pay attention for the signs, sometimes it’s car only, sometimes they allow big motorbikes, sometimes there’s a “slow lane” for all scooters. There’s no speedway #3 (they use two-digit numbers), so depending whether you mean the provintial highway or the freeway, it should be clear.

If you ask about the engine power, I don’t think there’s any significant elevation or anything that 125cc wouldn’t make on highway 3.

[quote=“micahjrowe”]pretty much title says it all.

I’ve tried googling this question so many times.

if you could answer this question for me I’d be grateful.

Cheers ~ Micah[/quote]

Not in Taiwan…

[quote=“micahjrowe”]pretty much title says it all.

I’ve tried googling this question so many times.

if you could answer this question for me I’d be grateful.

Cheers ~ Micah[/quote]

No

Like the man said, depends what you mean by “highway”. AFAIK the term has no specifically defined meaning.

Not really the OP is obviously talking about the bloody great road that runs parallel to the other bloody great road called “1”. Otherwise known as a motorway.

Bottom line only cars (maybe >550cc motorbikes) are allowed on the these roads. Scooters can’t even go on expressways.

I went on an expressway (#10) once with my motorcycle. It started at a 4 way rural intersection and I didn’t notice until it was too late. I was going 95km/h in a 100km/hr zone but people were pissed and constantly honking. No exits for a long time either but everyone is right you can ride a little scooter/moto on anything that looks like a freeway.

One thing that I find humorous is that the previous poster says it’s not called a highway and then calls it a motorway. I’m pretty sure that motorway is not used in Taiwan either but I’m never really sure which terms are used in Taiwan for which roads. It’s made more confusing since the 3 freeway (my term) runs mostly parallel to highway 3 (my term).

I was making a deliberate point about semantics. We know what the OP meant (and I’m sure that those of us who don’t speak Chinese call it a highway) and there was no need to try and pull him up on it.

Sorry if that was too subtle for you.

I was making a deliberate point about semantics. We know what the OP meant (and I’m sure that those of us who don’t speak Chinese call it a highway) and there was no need to try and pull him up on it.

Sorry if that was too subtle for you.

I call them FREEWAYS because i think Freeways 1 and 2 and 3 are designed by Americans? Or at least patterned after American Freeways? However, the term is incorrectly used because IN the USA, the FREEWAYS are FREE OF CHARGE. Taiwanese think its a free way because its free of STOPLIGHTS.

What these FREEWAY like roads are in fact called TOLLWAYS in the USA because on TOLLWAYS there is a charge per such a such a mile.

FREEWAYS 1, 3 and 2 (etc) in Taiwan are verbotten to SCOOTS, BIG BIKES and EVERYTHING ELSE ON TWO WHEELS , far as I know.

Sorry if that was too subtle for you.[/quote]

Nah, not subtle at all. Not even the first time.

I don’t speak Chinese, and I use the term “highway” as a generic term to refer to public roads, as in “The Highway Code”, “We Must Have Safety on the Queens Highway” (groovy), etc.

If I was speaking English to an American or Taiwanese, and I wanted a synonym for “motorway”, I’d use “freeway”, (not highway) because that’s what they use. I know its illogical, since they aren’t free here, but then they also think petrol should be called “gas”. What can you do?

If you look above you’ll see that, even in this short thread, usage varies, and your usage is certainly not universal. We have reference, for example to “speedway” (more conventionally “expressway”, I think).

I was making a deliberate semantic point too, vis, where usage varies, one needs to define ones terms.

Hope thats not too subtle for you.