Can a school refuse to release you?

Can a school refuse to sign a release of contract if you want to quit before the end of the contract? The agency that administers my school is telling me that if I leave (3 weeks early) then the school will not sign a release, thereby not allowing me to get a new work permit.
Also saying they’ll take one month’s pay because I didn’t give them 45 days notice, notwithstanding that they only gave me 38 days notice of contract non-renewal.

[quote=“kjmillig”]Can a school refuse to sign a release of contract if you want to quit before the end of the contract? The agency that administers my school is telling me that if I leave (3 weeks early) then the school will not sign a release, thereby not allowing me to get a new work permit.
Also saying they’ll take one month’s pay because I didn’t give them 45 days notice, notwithstanding that they only gave me 38 days notice of contract non-renewal.[/quote]

Well we dont know what you agreed to in your contract. Maybe you can take it up with the CLA as they can advise if any clauses in your contract are illegal, such as with holding your pay. Perhaps you can get a 2nd work permit first as a part time employee before finishing your current contract then change it to full time when your current contract expires.

Or you can hold your breath for 3 weeks and finish your contract then leave having completed your obligations to your current employer.

AFAIK, there is no need to get any documents from an existing employer to add a new employer to your ARC, including the work permit. You would only need the release to remove the existing employer prior to the end of the contract. So could you just overlap for 3 weeks?

The law does stipulate how much notice is required to terminate a contract, but not advise whether or not it will be renewed.