Can a US/Taiwan dual citizen apply for Taiwan APRC?

my girlfriend was originally from Taiwan. she became a naturalized U.S. citizen about 9 years ago.
she has in her possesion valid passports from both Taiwan and USA. her US passport has a valid
Taiwan visitor visa(5-year multipl-entry, 60-day visit, extendable to 180 days).

can she use her US passport to apply for a Taiwan resident visa, enter Taiwan,
get her ARC… and eventually her APRC?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tsar_Bomba”]my girlfriend was originally from Taiwan. she became a naturalized U.S. citizen about 9 years ago.
she has in her possesion valid passports from both Taiwan and USA. her US passport has a valid
Taiwan visitor visa(5-year multipl-entry, 60-day visit, extendable to 180 days).

Thanks! :slight_smile:[/quote]If she is still a Taiwan citizen, then the answer is,NO! Taiwan citizens are not eligible for ARCs or APRCs as she would not be an alien resident. She would be a citizen resident.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Tsar_Bomba”]my girlfriend was originally from Taiwan. she became a naturalized U.S. citizen about 9 years ago.

Thanks! :slight_smile:[/quote]If she is still a Taiwan citizen, then the answer is,NO! Taiwan citizens are not eligible for ARCs or APRCs as she would not be an alien resident. She would be a citizen resident.[/quote]

that’s what I thought… but my GF’s sister-in-law(also a Taiwanese who became US citizen) has
a Taiwan APRC and is currently living in Taiwan, as an American with APRC… which is kind of
strange because she still retains her Taiwanese passport. During Taiwan’s most presidential
election of 2008, she made a trip to Guam and returned to Taiwan using her Taiwanese passport,
in order to cast her ballot. I wanted my GF to ask the sister-in-law on how she managed to keep
her Taiwanese passport and get a Taiwan APRC… but my GF thought I was being way too nosy
(and she’s probably right… when the sister-in-law came to stay with us last Christmas, I saw
her US passport, Taiwan passport, as well as Taiwan APRC all in her purse, which she accidentally left in my truck))

Why would someone who holds a Taiwan passport want to go through the bother of getting an ARC (and based on what? work? study?) and then APRC? I don’t get it.

You are correct that people entering Taiwan on Taiwan passports are Taiwan NAtionals. However I have friends also who have Taiwan nationality but have used their foreign passports to enter Taiwan and get work based ARC’s. A good German friend of min did this when working for a German company. They would not offer him an expat package if he used his Taiwan nationality, and he was sent here from his company in Germany… He also could not speak Chinese when he arrrived.

We won quite a few bets in bars with people when I said I was Taiwanese and he was German. :discodance: :discodance:

the GF told me that her sister-in-law did it for financial reasons. (in order to get special benefits for her business in Taiwan)

the GF told me that her sister-in-law did it for financial reasons. (in order to get special benefits for her business in Taiwan)[/quote]

She lied :roflmao:

the GF told me that her sister-in-law did it for financial reasons. (in order to get special benefits for her business in Taiwan)[/quote]

She lied :roflmao:[/quote]

I imgine so… but I can’t come up with any othr guesses?

[quote=“Tsar_Bomba”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“Tsar_Bomba”]my girlfriend was originally from Taiwan. she became a naturalized U.S. citizen about 9 years ago.

Thanks! :slight_smile:[/quote]If she is still a Taiwan citizen, then the answer is,NO! Taiwan citizens are not eligible for ARCs or APRCs as she would not be an alien resident. She would be a citizen resident.[/quote]that’s what I thought… but my GF’s sister-in-law(also a Taiwanese who became US citizen) has
a Taiwan APRC and is currently living in Taiwan, as an American with APRC… which is kind of
strange because she still retains her Taiwanese passport. During Taiwan’s most presidential
election of 2008, she made a trip to Guam and returned to Taiwan using her Taiwanese passport,
in order to cast her ballot. I wanted my GF to ask the sister-in-law on how she managed to keep
her Taiwanese passport and get a Taiwan APRC… but my GF thought I was being way too nosy
(and she’s probably right… when the sister-in-law came to stay with us last Christmas, I saw
her US passport, Taiwan passport, as well as Taiwan APRC all in her purse, which she accidentally left in my truck))[/quote]Alllriiiighty then. You see, there is the law…and then there is Taiwan reality. All the relevant laws that I’ve read say that citizens of Taiwan aren’t eligible for ARCs and APRCs. So, I’m certain that your GF’s sister in-law never mentioned the fact that she is a Taiwanese citizen to the NIA when she applied for her ARC and then APRC as she would (should) have been denied based on being a Taiwanese citizen regardless of the fact that she’s also an American citizen.

Why in the world would she want an ARC or an APRC in addition to her Taiwanese and American citizenship? I smell scam…most likely regarding taxes.

Northcoast Surfer seems to have the right of it. The only advantage your girlfriend would be able to gain from having an ARC/APRC would that it would effectively be a second identity (i.e. a completely different person) to the Taiwanese government. This would allow her to earn money and pay taxes as a foreign resident separately to her Taiwanese identity, which would probably be used by her family to earn money on shares, thus reducing their own tax burden.

It’s been a while but Hartzel, you used to be prominent talked about these issues. With out looking it up, I believe that if you are a Taiwan citizen and are not on the island you loose your household registration and you become a new status. An overseas Taiwanese, eligible to hold a passport but not eligible to get an ID card or work rights.

It’s been a long time ago but, I believe my explanation is more than 80 percent on the mark… I remember seeing a lot of posts on this issue… Gotta go take my Geritol… …