Can Acujer teach in Taiwan from MOE

Thinking harder… no… it wouldn’t override it…

The authentication is just to show that it’s real… presuming the list does exist (which I believe it does), the list states which degrees are accepted… real or not

This list does exist. I saw it when in an appeals process myself over my own permit. It is in the form of books for each Country. If I recall correctly, there were four books in total - Canada, U.S., England and ???. My College diploma was certified and had all the correct and required stamps from TECO in Vancouver. I know about the list books because the MOE person literally threw the U.S. book at me screaming that my College wasn’t in it so I didn’t qualify, stamps or no stamps. It was at that point that I pulled the Canadian book out of the shelf above her computer terminal, opened it and showed her that my College was indeed, listed. Long story short, I won eventually but it was an extremely unpleasant experience.

The “list” does override the TECO seals, which simply confirm that you graduated from the “accredited” school, in the country of issue. It is not the same as the MOE list which shows which schools or academic institutions they consider “accredited”.

Your next step, it would seem, is to contact the MOE in Taipei and ask if your University is actually listed. You can contact them through the following website via email under the Contact Us link.

english.moe.gov.tw/

Ok wow! I see.

My school is not on the list. So no matter what I do, it sounds won’t allow me to get a work permit.

Right?

Unfortunately, that may be the case. There are a number of accredited colleges and universities throughout the U.S., Canada and the U.K. which are not on the list. If yours isn’t, you may have to look at other options.

I’m gonna write a Mystery screenplay called, “THE LIST!”
One man’s journey through Asia. He overcomes every obstacle imaginable. But could he eventually, overcome,

THE LIST!

Rated F -for frustration

Guess I’m going back to China.

Can anyone get the list? We still have not seen THE LIST. Someone posted a list of schools Taiwanese students use to travel abroad to US but thats it.

The email on the MOE doesn’t work. I called them and they didn’t have much to say. You saw the opening post here.

So why the hell did they make me get this diploma authenticated?

Seriously, is Taiwan as many rules and regulations as America? Sounds very strict.

That’s an easy one: It gets you out of their hair and its easier than having you maybe get angry at them when they say “sorry, we think your school’s no good.”
Or else they just haven’t a clue.
Take your pick.

That’s an easy one: It gets you out of their hair and its easier than having you maybe get angry at them when they say “sorry, we think your school’s no good.”
Or else they just haven’t a clue.
Take your pick.[/quote]

Also, even if he had graduated from Harvard (which I imagine makes the list), wouldn’t he have to get his degree authenticated anyways? That has nothing to do with whether the school is on the list…it just authenticates that the person received a degree from that school.

Also, “accreditation” is a tricky thing. In the US, there are numerous organizations that accredit schools of various types. For example, the American Bar Association accredits law schools, while the American Medical Association accredits medical schools. There are accrediting agencies for beauty schools too, but somehow I doubt those make the MOE’s list. I’m sure the OP’s school is an accredited acupuncture school, but whether it makes the MOE list or not is a different matter.

So what do you guys say? I’ll be fucked if I go to Taiwan? Should I not go?

I heard that even if I could teach there, I’ll be stuck with cram schools because my degree is not English or in teaching.

Think how nuts this is: I am a primary health care provider in CHINESE MEDICINE. Taiwan won’t recognize a degree in their own medicine for god’s sakes. They of all people should know how difficult it is to get this degree.

This is the peak of irony.

It’s really up to you. Maybe it’s worth it to you to give it a whirl and see what happens(?). If I were you, I’d see about option b, which is to get some kind of a credential out of your undergrad uni you went to for three years. Get an Associate’s degree or similar and this won’t matter any more.

If it’s an accepted master’s, you may have more options than that, not that cram schools are a low level of Dante’s hell to begin with.

[quote=“Acujer”]Think how nuts this is: I am a primary health care provider in Chinese MEDICINE. Taiwan won’t recognize a degree in their own medicine for god’s sakes. They of all people should know how difficult it is to get this degree.

This is the peak of irony.[/quote]

If you were an ROC citizen, you could run a great acupuncture practice. But you’re not. You’re a foreign national looking to teach English. The irony angle is lost on me. Should they prefer people with Chinese medicine training to teach English now? That would be real irony, actually.

I think you knew when you entered your program of study that it wouldn’t be accepted everywhere a master’s degree was asked for. Outside of acupuncture, it’s not really going to be accepted as an academic credential. It’s not academia. Sorry. What you have to do now is find a combination of credentials that will meet the standards of this place if you want to work here. Either that, or acquire these credentials. If not, then give Taiwan a miss.

[quote=“Acujer”]So what do you guys say? I’ll be fucked if I go to Taiwan? Should I not go?

I heard that even if I could teach there, I’ll be stuck with cram schools because my degree is not English or in teaching.

Think how nuts this is: I am a primary health care provider in Chinese MEDICINE. Taiwan won’t recognize a degree in their own medicine for god’s sakes. They of all people should know how difficult it is to get this degree.

This is the peak of irony.[/quote]

Well you still have the option to go back and finish up your biology degree from the UC school you went to. And I think it’s a safe bet the University of California system is on the list. Heck, if you get your biology degree you could even get a legit science job with an international company and be sent over to Taiwan as a “real” expat.

Great advice!

I don’t see myself going back to school to finish my degree, though. I just don’t see that happening. I couldn’t imagine sitting at those desks for another year. But, there would be a nice assortment of hot chicks there. Kegger parties sound nice. Maybe not a bad idea.

When I got my degree in acupuncture, teaching English was the last thing on my mind. I went to China to intern for 2 months and ended up staying a loooong time, defaulted into teaching, and became good at it. It’s really hard to start your own practice here. That’s why I have been in china teaching, instead of practicing acupuncture. Although I did do acupuncture quite a bit for the cruiseship industry at one point. I just don’t feel like living at sea anymore.

Well folks, looks like I may head back to the Mainland, where a white face and pretty smile gets you all you need. I’ll be in Xiamen. We’ll be neighbors.

Enjoy yourself over on Xiamen island. Best of luck to you.

Gao