Can Anyone Tell Me Which Buxibans are the High End Ones?

So I’m looking for a job come August and I am going to need to end up working at a buxiban for flexibility so I can go to grad school at the same time. I wanted to know which buxibans are the high end ones, the ones with better pay and non-ridiculous work conditions. I am open to Taipei City, some parts of New Taipei City, Taoyuan and Hsinchu, maybe even Taichung. If anyone can help me out with meaningful, helpful answers, please let me know on this post or via a PM. Thanks.

Big Byte in Taipei is often considered “high end”. They used to also have a very high level of teacher satisfaction, but I do not know if this is still true.

Search for “hardcore foreign run buxibans (HFRB).” They have a reputation for higher wages and not pandering to students and parents, but I believe you need to be able to speak Chinese as well (I personally have no experience with them).

I was rather unimpressed by the methods used by the HFRB’s when I read through the large thread a year or two ago.

The key to finding a good job is through networking. There are good branches of large chains. There are good independent buxibans. There are good small chains foreign owned and Taiwanese owned. The key is finding one of those that has an opening. There isn’t a blanket suggestion that these are good and those aren’t.

The other problem that you face is that it sounds like you haven’t taught much before. Part of the equation is finding one of these job openings and the other (bigger) part is showing that you are the right candidate. These are buxibans that everyone wants to work at. You won’t be the only applicant.

[quote=“Abacus”]

The other problem that you face is that it sounds like you haven’t taught much before. Part of the equation is finding one of these job openings and the other (bigger) part is showing that you are the right candidate. These are buxibans that everyone wants to work at. You won’t be the only applicant.[/quote]

I’ve got over three years of teaching experience. I have been teaching outside the buxiban system, so I don’t really know which ones are worthwhile, except that places like Hess, Kojen, etc are not worthwhile. I am entertaining the idea of teaching at a buxiban if conditions are right for the sake of flexibility I will need for my graduate program.

Teaching outside of the buxiban system = privates?

Okay you have some experience but you are competing against a lot of really good teaching candidates. What is going to set you apart from these other candidates?

These schools aren’t going to be very interested in teachers that need a lot of training that aren’t 100% dedicated to teaching. And will likely leave after a year or two. There is no way that you are going to be able to dedicate yourself to the level they want while going through grad school. They don’t pander to students or parents but they aren’t going to pander to their teachers either. They are going to have very high expectations of you.

I would look for jobs that are simply decent and not worry about finding the best job since you aren’t going to dedicate yourself to it. You have other priorities and this is a part time gig for you.

This is all a contradiction in terms: All buxibans are low-end.

You use the buxiban job to get the ARC, then use the free time from your job (which, for most newbies, is a ton) to find a job in Taiwan that pays more and offers an ARC.

[quote=“Abacus”]

Okay you have some experience but you are competing against a lot of really good teaching candidates. What is going to set you apart from these other candidates?

These schools aren’t going to be very interested in teachers that need a lot of training that aren’t 100% dedicated to teaching.

I would look for jobs that are simply decent and not worry about finding the best job since you aren’t going to dedicate yourself to it. You have other priorities and this is a part time gig for you.[/quote]

Who’s to say I don’t have something to set myself apart from other candidates? As if I haven’t thought of this already?

I am 100% dedicated to teaching as my graduate program is in education.

Your post is not at all helpful and makes massive assumptions. All I need to know is the names of some places. That’s it. I don’t need these insinuations.

You are teaching while doing an advanced degree. You will not be 100% dedicated nor will you be able to work the schedule they will want since your classes and projects will have to come first. I’m sorry but it’s the truth.

These types of things are between me and my potential employer to figure out together. As previously stated, I am looking for some recommendations for schools, not opinions.

You are not going to get recommendations for schools because that’s almost impossible. The answer to your question is 100’s of individual schools and individual branches of chains. the best way to find a good job is to talk to your friends (discussed in post #4).

A recommendation is an opinion and you are getting what you asked for. I don’t think anyone is attacking you, it just sounds like your expectations of “high-end buxibans” don’t line up with reality.

Shangri-la Buxibans. +15 threads about “good schools” produced few names.
To me, that’s meaningful, helpful data: past regulars never knew, didn’t want to say, or the knowers don’t come to TEIT.

Say Big Byte is still good (I heard likewise, 8yrs ago), though most decline in quality over time, not improve.
If a Shangri-la has an opening - why would they just give it to any random teacher? I wouldn’t.
Worse, now that everyone knows, what’s stopping others from inquiring? Maybe explains their +600/hr, & low % of vets.

Finding answers on your own increases your competitive advantage. Public answers just increase your competition.

Shangri-las aren’t the only path out of TEFL hell.
You say you’re dedicated 100% to teaching. If one can only teach well in a Shangri-la… then how good are they?
Need “high-end” curriculum, pay, support, resources, mgmt, & students to be competent? A bit needy & incompetent.
If you can self-develop skills, handle a few demons, & produce results in average buxiban hell, any Shangri-la will hire you.
In fact, to your students, you may seem like a Shangri-la teacher unto yourself.

And it’s easier to look like a diamond in mud, than when you’re surrounded by stars in a Shangri-la.

Still want a Shangri-la? Like other TEFL problems, develop better problem-solving & search skills. Not asking forum skills.
Think: high-end, schools… locations? Or, notice Big Byte’s locations.
Google a bit, grab a map & resumes, & pound pavement. If you’re competent, I’d target location or residency first, then school. Not vice versa.

Say you scout & visit 20 different schools. A few meet your subjective criteria, most won’t.
The more you see, the more patterns you’ll recognize, the faster you can categorize. Like house hunting. (Or reading TEIT.)
You’ll learn more about buxibans, the market, locations… and make a lot of contacts. If you meet schools’ criteria.
No networking required - you create your own network, if necessary.

More work, but more competitive advantage & reward. Self-starters & go-getters… get ahead. Asking just keeps you behind.

THIS. Any teacher working for a good school is going to guard that information (the name of the school) with their life. The last thing we want is to have our hours carved because some new teachers showed up.

1 Like

Blueimusic, you quoted me as writing something that I didn’t write. Besides, I don’t need a buxiban job like this anymore, I’ve found employment elsewhere.

I appreciate the honesty. Good point about not wanting hours carved.
If I were management, I wouldn’t do that because it’d only sow discontent & insecurity.
Sometimes, all it takes is 1 good teacher to jump ship, and then others do, too.

I used to wonder what it’d be like teaching at one. Still glad to hear “good schools” do exist, and that at least some people work for them. Enjoy!