Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

I wouldn’t be so sure aboot that:

SAN LUIS, Ecuador—Built near a spewing volcano, it was the biggest infrastructure project ever in this country, a concrete colossus bankrolled by Chinese cash and so important to Beijing that China’s leader, Xi Jinping, spoke at the 2016 inauguration.

Today, thousands of cracks have emerged in the $2.7 billion Coca Codo Sinclair hydroelectric plant, government engineers said, raising concerns that Ecuador’s biggest source of power could break down. At the same time, the Coca River’s mountainous slopes are eroding, threatening to damage the dam.

“We could lose everything,” said Fabricio Yépez, an engineer at the University of San Francisco in Quito who has closely tracked the project’s problems. “And we don’t know if it could be tomorrow or in six months.”

It is one of many Chinese-financed projects around the world plagued with construction flaws.

Indeed. Nothing changes, but China is open for business again and the west will be forming a line.

Right, I’m skeptical there’s any real change, or that we this guy would know if there was one. These short term fluctuations don’t have much significance in the big picture. If any suitable opportunity appeared tomorrow, the wolf would pounce. It just means they think there’s an advantage to appearing reasonable at the moment, or something.

3 Likes

We’ll see. Domestically, you may be right. But I don’t see countries lining up for Chinese B&R projects again.

1 Like

Right, same guy at the top of a one party system, the only change is that they see they need to go back to not being obvious bullies. Since that guy was attacked in the UK this has been a trend, talking nice and reassigning the loudmouth spokesperson

The think tank dude reads mostly the same stuff we do. For people not active on the Forumosa think tank, useful to have access to a guy like that, but hardly revelatory

Yup

Seeing the world’s public opinion turning against them, decoupling, new alliances against them, sanctions, high profile visits to Taiwan… i think it’s clear they overplayed their hand, time to backpedal a bit!

But Taiwan should still assume they’re going to come as soon as they can, and take steps accordingly

France wants the economic ties, anyways. Some poorer countries and more corrupt countries might still take the infrastructure deals

2 Likes

I bet they do. But probably not so much if China invades Taiwan. But still…

1 Like

I guess that would be one of the first things to suffer

This is something I’d not heard about before this. It has a great explanation of the geopolitical shitshow toward the end. It makes me think that there are powers working to hamstring Russia in order to get the 'stans to rely less on them.

That’s China’s oil! lol

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole this morning, but it’s related to your video, so, enjoy!

1 Like

All good the Taiwanese military gonna be trained by USA Dads Army

I’ll need to go read up again, but iirc, many of the countries didn’t have many options, so unless some other countries step up, they may have little choice.

Sucks to be them. Be interesting to see how Indonesia and the PI respond to a new kinder gentler twisting fiscal approach towards them.

I’ve met two groups of US military personal that were rotated into taiwan to train the troops. The first group was looking for drugs the entire time and trying to get stoned. The last message I got from one guy was, “this place is fucking trash, leaving tomorrow, cya.”

The second group was quite stoic and were much more serious. One of them said they are prepared to help Taiwan fight China because he formed a bond with the Taiwanese soldiers. Very disciplined guys, didn’t get drunk nor start any shit, one of the young guys was trying to get with a 50year old Taiwanese woman. He was all about it.

2 Likes

All of what you said here really makes me confident in both the US and Taiwan’s ability to defend itself /s.

I hope u feel more confident than this guy.

About as confident as I felt when this article was posted upthread

alright but this one is good, I swear.

you can go sign up to go train in a realistic Taiwanese urban environment, even has a 7-11 with a dead mannequin outside it, (probably a foreigner who was drinking outside it prior to invasion) even has an Irish pub to make it even more realistic.

pretty cool.

2 Likes

I infer the Irish pub had a no-whites-allowed policy

everything is allowed at the Irish pub.

ah, clearly a connoisseur of the finely matured, ripened to perfection :innocent: