Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

What technological edge?

Do you want to be specific?

If you are talking about TSMC being top for Semiconductor fabrication, I think a long time, if not for the forseeable future. Im tired and i cant be bothered to get into this, but I suggest you spend some time understanding what TSMC does and why its where it is.

1 Like

Oh look, my memory is good enough to remember you making that suggestion 7 hours ago!
:rofl:

1 Like

Can read the excellent chip war.

1 Like

Any technological edge we have over them. But since you raised TSMC…let’s discuss TSMC.

This is precisely the type of arrogant view of Chinese capabilities that will lull us into thinking they cannot overtake us technologically.

This statement presumes you have extra knowledge which I do not have. You have no knowledge of my background and you feel qualified to presume you know better. Since I got involved in this thread you didn’t even appear to know SMIC was making 7nm chips as of 2022.

Nevertheless, kindly educate us: what is the special sauce you think will keep TSMC’s edge for the foreseeable future? Kindly illuminate us here what TSMC does and why it is where it is.

1 Like

You mean that book? Have you read it already?!

He did provide that book as a reference…

If you don’t know this, you should really do that reading.

Anyways, he already said:

And gave you a book to read. If you already know all this, just say that

1 Like

Oh wow you read a book so I guess that makes you the expert. May I ask if you have any science or engineering background and work experience?

So summarize the points of the book here. I’m busy reading my own subject matter on EUV emission from tin plasma droplets.

1 Like

The likelihood of an invasion has gone up and down throughout the years. But nevertheless, the risk remains.

2 Likes

As a show of good faith, I think you can volunteer that information about yourself if you are asking it of others

Also, since you’re new maybe you didnt know you can learn more about TSMC here

1 Like

I’m not the one in this thread claiming to have superior knowledge to others and that they should go RTFM. May I suggest the ones that claim to have such knowledge demonstrate that they are, in fact, the experts they claim to be.

Thanks but I have a family to take care of, a demanding job (hint: in science and technology) and other responsibilities.

I would be grateful for a condensed version.

Fine, I will write a post explaining this to you tomorrow. For whatever reason.

1 Like

Thank you.

is this a confused version of your previous claim, or a different claim?

you wouldn’t need / want to with the claimed capabilities.

if they sank a carrier, war would be the point.

What does Japan have more advanced than what Intel can do (overall capability to produce advanced chips, not onsie - twosie niches)?

So you cannot read any books? You appear to have heaps of time to post here.

Guy

That’s not what the article said. It said te 14nm was a stepping stone for making 7nm. They’ve only succeeded at trial production of 14nm, which is another beast from volume production.

I knew a girl from South Carolina who simultaneously thought Asian people were “good at math” and “poor rice farmers.”

Did she correct herself and say,”WELL at math,” ma?

How did not having time to read one book OO posted get to cannot read any books? You understand the difference between one and any right?

Yeah I regret coming to post in this thread, so far a complete waste of time arguing with “1 = any” (you) and “export of 7nm EUV machines barred to China = all ASML’s exports barred to China” (OO) posters.

But let us see, perhaps OO will illuminate me with his expert opinion and I will learn something from our resident TSMC expert.

So it will alarm US hawks to see that SMIC, a large Chinese foundry, has been able to crank out a chip based on 7-nanometer processes.

Here are other articles to quell any ambiguity:

They are already nipping at our heels in the semiconductor race but OrangeOrganics feels pretty comfortable declaring:

I look forward to reading his post.

Would they not be able to tinker with them so as to keep them running albeit at lower speeds? Just curious.

Foolery keeps evolving. It’s micro-targeted now. Micro-targeting on a grand scale is doublethink to the nth power.

Just sayin’.

Besides which, let’s all get a grip on what better processes mean - a 14nm process is more than capable of producing very, very, very capable chips. i9-11900k is 14nm for example. There are advantages to the newer processes of course, but it’s not like we can tell the actual difference between an apple a9 chip at 16nm vs 14nm, nor is the 14nm a9 better than the 16nm a10.