Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

I think your assumption that USA is stoking the issues is false. The USA is just playing along with the demands from China. This is a great game of Prisoner Theory and Game Theory.

We are literally watching a sociologist and psychologist dream. This would be impossible for them to study in a normal way.

Talk about grave digging.

Yes based on US actions, there were quite a lot graves dug.

Guy

That was the way of the world then.

1 Like

And this is exactly the problem with Beijing’s current claim on Taiwan. It’s nineteenth century thinking, a projection of (presumed) imperial power.

Guy

1 Like

I wouldnt take your bet. There is nearly ZERO political will in Taiwan to change the constitution as well. Definitely not from the DPP or Tsai, if anything she has embraced the ROC in the last few year.

Only a fringe deep greens and then foreigners on Twitter and other forums want to change the constitution. It would not be popular at all. The US would absolutely object if it ever came up as a political topic here.

2 Likes

Ridiculous how people keep playing the appeasement game. How many times do you have to be proven wrong? It has worked ZERO times. At least standing up to the bully works sometimes and you will have the peace of mind that you didn’t become part of the problem.

4 Likes

If you didn’t want to take my bet, that would mean you think I’m right :crazy_face:

Anywho:

Roughly
30% at maintain status quo indefinitely.
30% at maintain status quo but move toward independence.
30% at maintain status quo and decide later

1 Like

“The United States approach to Taiwan has remained consistent across decades and administrations. The United States has a longstanding one China policy, which is guided by the Taiwan Relations Act, the three U.S.-China Joint Communiques, and the Six Assurances. We oppose any unilateral changes to the status quo from either side; we do not support Taiwan independence; and we expect cross-Strait differences to be resolved by peaceful means.“

That’s my point – their two-sided messaging makes no sense. Saying it’s up to the Taiwanese then saying they don’t support unilateral changes or independence.

Altho it could be that the “we do not support” is about the same as the “we acknowledge China’s position”. “Support” can have varying meanings.

But yeah I agree they wish things would stay as they are forever. Not gonna happen.

1 Like

About Taiwan being indispensable to the U.S. because of its semiconductor industry:

The Chinese drew a line in the sand at formal independence. Any attempt to do it will cause a dangerous loss of face reaction from China.
Status quo has been mostly good, makes sense to keep it that way.

1 Like

Police officers telling everyone to stay inside for thirty minutes while nothing else is done is preparation for war?

I like the way everyone was piled together at the mrt exit. Let’s hope they don’t do that if bombs are really being dropped.

1 Like

If you go back far enough, the high ground is empty

1 Like

This is tricky — the US invaded Iraq because of China/Russia. In 2000 there was a whole press conference that China was building military facilities in Iraq with the intent to use them against the US. And prior to that there was the 1998-2001 panic of a potential Chinese attack (hence the infamous Traficant Rant) , and US had insufficient Missile defense systems to counter Chinese and Russia at the time.

Korean War
Cuban Missile Crisis
Vietnam War
Yugoslavia
Gulf War 1
Kosovo
Chinese Missile Crisis
Afghanistan
Gulf War 2

Etc etc - all were the US responding to China/Russia

In summary, Cold War never ended.

1 Like

Almost like they’re being deliberately ambiguous :thinking:

5 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

Sheesh, not the NCCU survey.

Listen there is a reason why politial parties or the media never talk talk about changinging the constitution, because its not popular. People are bored of this kind of talk. There was some talk in the Chen era, but people are bored of that. If it was a vote winner, then somebody would be talking about it.

Tsai is popular because she doesnt engage in this stuff. The US likes her because she is a moderate.

Vast vast Majority of Taiwanese see Taiwan(or ROC) as politically seperate from the PRC and absolutely do not want to unify. Thats not the same as wanting to start a war by changing the constitution.

Almost Strategically ambiguous, one could say

4 Likes

I haven’t read the details of the final version but in the first draft TSMC also qualified for around 8 billion. If that’s still the case it’s not gonna change anything besides delaying Intel’s downfall by a few years.

1 Like

That would work if the EU actually shouldered some of the burden, as opposed to just issuing strongly -worded statements all the time.

1 Like