Can China invade Taiwan successfully?

Well,I think both sides accepting the trajectory right now is possible conflict, but at least putting some barriers in place and reducing tensions, is a good thing

1 Like

If the US thinks by reaching some kind of agreement with Xi means they have avoided conflict in the near future, and rest on their laurels, they are in for a rude awakening. The CCP historically doesn’t honor treaties and agreements, and Xi is the worse offender in the CCP.

2 Likes

I don’t think both sides are going to stop mistrusting each other, too much water under the bridge now

1 Like

Isn’t this kicking the can down the road? I find it fatalistic how people are sometimes like “phew… according to this analysis, Xi won’t invade for at least 2 years…” Yeah, but aren’t people (especially if they’re Taiwanese and have no way out like us expats) concerned about the medium-term? This is an existential threat that isn’t going away no matter how many times Xi and Biden speak. Being relieved that you and your family’s and country’s annihilation probably won’t happen for 3-5 years seems like cold comfort.

I think the narrative is, US and China admit they are in fierce competition, and that they both won’t back down on Taiwan. But both don’t want a hot or Cold War , especially in the mid to short term, so tensions need to be cooled.

What is the other option, ‘let’s keep ramping everything up until we mutually destroy each other and the world’?

1 Like

I’d say the Chinese were hoping for the republicans to take the House and Senate. Xi wants the orange buffoon back in because he knows the US government would be paralyzed by his idiocy.

If anything the midterm election results have been the catalyst for kicking the can down the road.

2 Likes

You can always tell Chinese from Taiwanese by the Mao suits they wear. Or is it the PLA uniforms, or the commemorative Xi Jinping Rolexes?

Good on you for not being fooled by that basketball they were carrying.

“C’mon, just ignore that guy who’s always screaming at you in the street, he’s just another crazy foreigner.”

1 Like

Driving Mercedes…

1 Like

I dont think he owns Mercedes dealerships in Taiwan, although who knows?

Oddly enough they never turned up today. 3 police officers turned up instead. One of them was still wearing his black shoes and blue pants. Looks kinda weird in the gym.

So long, no surprises in the first bit, then i skimmed for a while, had to bail because of work. Anything interesting or new in there?

Haven’t read it yet. Put it here as a bookmark. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fuck him, he deserves no o.

:upside_down_face:

So . . . Ma Zedong?

Guy

Done in a cartoonish hollywood accent: He is Ze Dong. Not A Dong.

Funny though, I have always spelled it Mau, damn.

Perhaps I am not alone in protesting the U.

Perhaps it’s the different romanizations of mandarin? I often intermingle them all together like a mutt, sometimes with a splash of phonics.

Right after this happened, Warren Buffet announces he’s buying TSMC and becoming its fourth largest shareholder, and ASML announces it will expand in Taiwan by 2,000 jobs. The markets have spoken.

1 Like
1 Like

so TSMC makes chip in the US soon and Americans are becoming more controlling in their assets to the company. Doesnt seem optimal to be honest. God I hope Taiwan forces control in house at some point.

Yep. Trump didn’t want to say boo against Xi on Hong Kong, and would’ve thrown Taiwan under the bus in an invasion. Tariffs started jan 2018, but he only went hard over against China when Covid spun out of control.

2 Likes